TKR So grateful to have found this community

Thank you, I had such great advice and support last time I will certainly be reaching out again. It can feel quite isolating early on so to be able to come on here anytime is great.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I'm scheduled for a left TKR on the same day, July 22. I'll add you to the people I'm following!

Hi, nice to hear from you. It's getting close now so a little anxious. How are you feeling? I'm trying not to dwell on it but will be glad to get it over with. Trying not to catch anything or scratch my leg lol.

Only a few days left, it's good to be done. Best wishes!

I'm also trying to stay well and uninjured. My left knee and ankle are growing more painful every day, though. Makes it easier to contemplate the upcoming surgery.

I’ve made it through the first few days. Surgery was late Monday. Last couple of days have been tough but I’m feeling a lot better this morning. I finally gave the pain under control (passed out twice) and the the after effects of the anaesthetic out of my system. Looking forward to going home soon and taking control of my recovery

I’m so sorry you passed out twice, :console2: Best wishes for better times ahead.

Here’s a refresher course for you:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Wow @Relle I am amazed at your story. I had LTKR on April 2, 2019 and almost 4 mont out I still struggle with pain and ROM is sucky, even after an MUA 12 weeks post op. My OS and I have not discussed the other knee, but I am happy to hear you were brave to have the second done done. I hope you recover very soon.

Thanks @Jockette unfortunately I have a history of passing out from pain. But that is behind me. Will definitely take the time and read all the information. I’m already feeling a lot more confident than last time.
Hi @kalakeke there was no way I was going back after the first TKR and mua for another but over time I realised I needed it done. I’m quietly optimistic that this will be a better recovery. At least I have the information and experience to make better choices with my treatment. It’s really only been the last six months that I started to even consider going back in but I think deep down you know what you need to do either way.

Relle, you sound so much like me. I am also so thankful that I found this site as I was convinced no pain, no gain was the way to go. I have made so much more progress in 5 weeks since I have decided not to let PT push me around. (fired the first one) Nights are tough for me too, I tend to wake up and can't sleep so I will put one airpod in and listen to an audible book. I bookmark when I start and the next day the times are 1:17, 3:06,4:45, 6:10 and so on documentation that I am sleeping in spurts. I had a problem tolerating pain meds and a sadistic (though technically good) surgeon who didn't prescribe anything as an alternative to the narcotics that were making me sick but tylenol and advil.
Some days just suck. My husband and youngest son are here with me and have done everything possible to help but I can be so irritable at times. All in all, this site is a godsend. I feel like I am not losing my mind as others have similar experiences. Onward we go!

@cathyn518 its great to know we are not in it alone. Lack of sleep made me more depressed and honestly I was in a bad way. I’ve learnt the one day at a time works well and sure I will probably have bad times. But together we’ll get there.

yes, I keep telling myself easy does it! I know that when I look back, this time will look much shorter than it feels now. The nights are the toughest!

Waiting on discharge from the hospital. Can’t wait. The physio told me if I find myself getting stiffer and having more pain over the next few weeks it’s because I’m not exercising enough. Couldn’t be bothered saying anything, it’s sad that they are still giving that sort of advice.
Will check in when I am settled

I made the mistake last night of thinking I could do manoeuvre myself off a chair ottamon by myself. Ottamon slipped on the floor and I ended up dropping my operated leg to the floor with a thud and considerable use of choice words. It has been causing me grief ever since. I went from walking with my stick without a lot of pain to being unable to put my foot down. So annoyed at myself. I just wasn't thinking and was impatient to get out of the chair. Day 1 home and my first lesson learnt. Take things slowly and ask for help. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully I haven't stalled my progress too much.
Hope everyone else is having a better day.

I think we've all had those moments when we've gotten overconfident and paid for it. Some good icing and elevating should help.

Oh so sorry Relle! Just a small set back, you will be "back on your feet" before you know it (our community goal!)

Have been elevating and icing as well as taking pain meds strictly to the timer. Unfortunately the pain has not improved much and my walking is pretty much back to day one. Pretty sure I gave my knee an MUA without the anaesthetia. Going to my GP today to sort out what pain meds to take at home so will get his opinion. Thinking I may have to up them to get back on track.
I feel like I've been unbearable to live with because of the pain, gosh this can be hard

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom