TKR So grateful to have found this community

I was too in my recovery. I slept whenever and wherever! It all adds up. Sleep when you can!

Hi @Relle, i was wondering about you x. I'm really pleased you're doing ok, i seem to be too now. I still have the tightness and slight swelling but some days i can feel an improvement and feel as though i can see the light at the end of the tunnel ! I've stopped with the Physio too and gradually i can feel my ROM improving, my extension isn't moving so fast though. I really make an effort when i walk to take decent strides and walk properly, it makes my calves and thigh muscles ache but i feel as though that means i'm doing it right ! I'm reducing the painkillers too, i find i can manage without them sometimes but sleep is still an issue for me. I think my body has got used to 3 hours at a time ! It's frustrating but i've learned to accept it for now. It won't be forever.
My daughter and i are off to Turkey next Tuesday for 2 weeks so i'm hoping 2 weeks of sun will cheer me up ! Just have to manage the 4 hour flight first !

Hi @hopalong61 great to hear from you. I have the same ache in my calf muscles as well. Trying to get walks in but the cold windy and wet weather makes it uncomfortable. I used to enjoy walking in all sorts of weather but I'm still slow and can't build up the momentum to get the heat through my body. I find the whole process tiring and uncomfortable.
Winter is bringing with it new challenges. Even lighting my gas fire is difficult as I have to get down onto the floor. I must look quite comical especially when I'm getting myself up, I certainly have had to slow down.
My extension and ROM are moving very slowly as well but at least they are not going backwards. I have screen shots of the slow ROM timeline posted on Bonesmart which I looked at again yesterday, this gives me hope that eventually I'll make it.

Your upcoming holiday will be wonderful for you. It sounds just the trick to help with your recovery. It is lovely that you are going with you daughter. Four hours restricted in a plane does sound a bit daunting though. I find waiting at the doctors a trial, I'm forever standing up and stretching out my leg and walking around. Do you have an aisle seat? That would make it a bit easier to stretch out. I have been watching quite a bit of television as the weather has me stuck inside. You would be surprised how many English shows we have screening down here on our lifestyle channels. You are lucky to have so many beautiful destinations within a relatively easy distance. I shouldn't complain though, I live in an area with 150 wineries starting 5 minutes from my home so it's easy to pop out for a short walk and a cuppa or drink.

Hi @Relle thanks for your reply. Hope you're feeling ok ? I'm just sitting here icing again, don't know why but my knee has been really sore again the last couple of days :sad: I've tried my best to walk upright and use my leg properly, maybe thats why it's hurting. The pain this morning in my calves was bad so i think thats probably why. I'm still managing to do normal things though luckily, just been out for lunch with my daughter and have changed the beds and done some washing ready for our holiday on Tuesday. Just need to pack now. Can't wait :dancy:

I'll have 2 weeks to relax in the sun and not have to work or do housework so hoping my knee will thank me ! I have plenty of painkillers just in case :heehee: Have to keep reminding myself that it takes time, lots of time ! I'd love to live within 5 mins of a winery, might have to book flights to see my sister in law, she's in Carrum (Victoria), by the sea ! Maybe next year !

Hi @hopalong61 have a great holiday. Hopefully you will take the time to relax and not try to do too much. At least you have been living with your knee for long enough that you can manage any symptoms or side effects that may present themselves.

I am still having trouble with my calves as well. I have had a harder time getting my heel to the floor post MUA which has been frustrating.
I have also had more trouble keeping warm this winter. Usually I love the cold weather but I am struggling with it this year. I was thinking it could be because my body has slowed down so much, not really sure but am hoping I can sort it out. We still have a couple of months to go until spring.

On a positive note I managed to have my first bath on the weekend. I struggled getting in and out but it was worth it to have a soak in the hot water. I also managed to get down on the ground and sit on a picnic blanket, not my best idea as this only lasted about 10 minutes because I found it quite uncomfortable, but I felt I had achieved something.

Hi @Relle Ooooh a bath ! I've not had a bath for years ! Before my TKR and MUA my osteoarthritis and arthroscopies prevented me from kneeling at all so i haven't been able to get in the bath. I did attempt it but decided to stick with the showers ! Well done to you on both :yes!: it must feel really good, sort of being normal again !
I have trouble getting my foot flat on the floor first thing but gradually during the day it gets better. Don't want to jinx it but i seem to be sleeping a bit longer too at the moment, i managed a straight 5 hours last night ! My knee seems to be behaving :loll:maybe it's going from being a baby to a toddler ? Someone said treat your new knee like a new baby, look after it, listen to it, give it TLC and plenty of rest, i think thats spot on don't you ? As long as it doesn't start having tantrums i'll be fine :rofsign:

We fly to Turkey tomorrow, i have been stockpiling painkillers ! Had to visit several different shops yesterday as you can only buy 2 packs of paracetamol at a time here. Think i have enough now but not worried as i know i can buy them there, probably easier than here !

Hope you manage to stay warm, speak again soon x

I have been going ok for the last two weeks. Sleeping is improving which is great. I'm still doing my late night games on the iPad and keeping up to date on Bonesmart but after that getting about 6 to 7 hours. My ROM hasnt progressed at all over the past couple of months but when I compare it with the charts posted by people previously it still seems ok. I am a little concerned that my knee seems to be locking up after I sit for a little while. It hasn't done this for a while. I have been finding it hard to keep warm lately, can anyone tell me if cold and damp weather can still effect the knee post TKR?

can anyone tell me if cold and damp weather can still effect the knee post TKR?
Oh yes! Weather did not affect my knee before surgery but my knee now aches in cold weather! We keep our house very warm so if I was inside I was fine, but not outside. Yippee.

@Jockette thanks for your reply. I thought that it did. My husband is watching me like a hawk and thinks because I am having more trouble now it means I might have to go for another manipulation. I may have overreacted when I told him what I thought of that. I just have to keep reminding him and myself that this recovery is a very slow process with many ups and downs.

I would have overreacted to the mention of another manipulation, too!

That sensitivity to the weather, more than likely, will go away. Mine has!

That's great news @sistersinhim im hoping that after getting through the first 12 months things will be better.
Does an ice pack help with this sort of ache or is heat better?

Ice helps to numb your knee. You can try heat if you want, but it might make your knee swell. I found walking around helped my weather related ache.

Hi @Relle x We're back from Turkey, boy it was warm ! Mainly in the high 30's, a couple of days in the 40's :yikes: My knee really didn't like the heat, it was more swollen then usual and quite painful, i had trouble going up and down steps, but did manage to do more walking and swimming than normal so hopefully, now i'm back things might improve. One thing that did help was that the Pharmacy over there sold Diclofenac which i can't get in the UK, i got some and they really helped, i've brought some home too ! I won't take them long term as i know they're not good for me but it's nice to not have pain every day for a while !
Hope you're still doing well and managing to keep warm x

@HopAlong great to hear from you. That time went really quickly, holidays do though don't they. Im sorry to hear that your knee wasn't quite in the holiday spirit. Its good that you found some decent pain relief. I haven't heard of that brand. I am going to have to find something from the chemist soon. I don't know what we have available here except for paracetamol and nurofen.

I have been gradually cutting back on my prescription meds and have only been taking them to help me get to sleep. I am still having low level pain throughout the day but I can cope with that. My calf muscle is giving me grief as well but i find voltaren works ok.

My mood has been low over the last few days. My recovery isn't going as quickly as I would like and I'm a little over myself. The worst part is I know that I still have a way to go and there is little I can do to speed it up.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this from time to time.

You certainly aren't the only who wishes this recovery was quicker. But, it takes as long as the knee says it takes. There nothing you can do to speed it up. But, you can slow it down by working hard trying to speed it up!

Hi @Relle the Diclofenac tablets i bought are also known as Voltaren ! They have made such a difference to my pain, much better than the codeine i have been taking. We only got back yesterday but already my knee feels better than it did on holiday. Don't know whether it's the Diclofenac or the drop in temperature ! This morning i managed to come downstairs without holding on to anything ! Been going up no problem for a while now.

Do you think cutting back on your meds could be making you more fed up ? I think keeping up with the pain relief helps you to feel better about it. I know if i have a lot of pain i get fed up about it all. My friend who had her TKR in April is due back to work next week so i'll have someone to sympathise with now ! She feels the same as we do too, i find it reassuring that most people seem to be in the same boat with a TKR.

Hi @HopAlong glad to hear that you are feeling better. Sometimes it's hard to understand exactly what helps with pain and what doesn't. The voltaren I have been using is a topical cream. I had forgotten about the tablets which can be bought over the counter here at the chemist without a script. I will ask the chemist if I can take them with my other medications.
I'm not sure whether cutting back my meds is affecting my mood or not. Maybe I should go to my GP and get his advice. I get confused as to how much pain I should be in before taking something.
It's great to have someone to sympathise with. That's what is so good about this forum. Everyone understands.
Unlike an acquaintance last weekend who told me what I should be doing. That's when I wish I was 2 years old and could throw a tantrum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88