So frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dena62

Country
United States United States
Yesterday was the final Hyalgan shot of 5. The pain management Dr and I knew that the shots weren't working after the 3rd one, but we had to get through the series. Shots 4 & 5 were the worst, even with my knee numbed with Lidocaine. So it is back to my OS on 12/8 and hopefully, we will be discussing the next step then. My Pain Management Dr is highly suggesting TKR. She says I will be much better off just getting it done so I can move forward with my life. It's been a stressful few weeks between that and having to go to a WC Hearing to determine my degree of disability. OS says 100% and the IME said 50%. Judge found it at 75% and told me to get a handicapped tag for my car. The limitations that I have are really becoming old for a person who was very active and has a job that is physically demanding with no light duty available.

In your corner Dena62. It's no wonder you are frustrated! I think your pain management doctor is right about getting it done so that you can move on with your life. Enough is enough in the pain department! It seems that your OS thinks so too. Best to you as you move forward.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated, but know where you are. Just be prepared (many aren't) that a TKR surgery usually means at least 12 weeks off work and a phased return is best.

Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you found us!

Here is some pre op reading for you.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I am sorry that you had to go through the painful treatments in order to hopefully have a TKR.

I hear you, Dena62. I went through all available options before LTKR November 4. The series of injections bought me three days of relief each time. The buy-me-time lateral release worked for about a month after recovery. So right now I am two weeks in to surgery recovery, and though I am bored out of my skull because I am also used to being more active, my surprise and delight at doing mild squats at the PT the other day and NOT having my knee crackling was through the roof! As a friend said, this short time off is a great trade off for the rest of your life.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I'm sorry you're having to go through all this @Dena62 .

I agree with your pain management doctor. The measures taken to mitigate your pain (the arthroscopy and debridement and the series of injections) haven't worked. It's time to move on to a knee replacement.

The state of your knee has impacted your life in a big way and you are too young to feel so old.
Go ahead and get a "new" knee. Knee replacements nowadays can last 30 years or more, so why wait through a few more painful years?

As an incentive, here's a thread that tells about people who are enjoying life with a new knee:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

:goodpost:I am very sorry to read of all of the hoops that you had to jump through.

The TKR, though, will allow you to reclaim that active lifestyle that are used to.

A TKR, when you are fully recovered, will allow you to do almost anything that you want to do, and to do it pain-free---and you are much too young to have to wait any longer----why put up with the pain and the restrictions when you you can be pain-free and active again?

Life is not to be merely endured---it is to be savored.

Honestly, I would like to get it over with. I haven't had a pain free day since my injury in March and it's beginning to wear me out. Just want to be able to walk and move without being in pain! I have an 8 year old grandson that I would love to be able to take places and I can't right now. I have been off work since April and on the advice of my union official, I applied for SSD so that is still in the process. I work in a factory and I doubt that going back to that job would be in my best interests so I am prepared for whatever the future holds for me. So many processes that the insurance company is making me go through! I'm not frightened of the surgery at all. I am more frightened of pain management because I am so hypersensitive to codeine, Darvocet and Dolobid meds. I react violently to all of them. Hopefully, they can find the right combination that will be able to help me!

I am more frightened of pain management because I am so hypersensitive to codeine, Darvocet and Dolobid meds. I react violently to all of them. Hopefully, they can find the right combination that will be able to help me!
With this in mind, I would make sure that your OS is completely aware of this, so he and a pain-management team can get you the correct pain meds to meet your needs.

There are many different pain medications that are available so when you are getting ready for surgery have a discussion over which ones don't work well with you. If you have nausea there are meds to help that too.

That is a relief to hear! I don't want my recovery hampered by projectile vomiting non stop. That would be awful. I did that after a c-section (classic style) and it was horrendous.

@Dena62

Just stopping in to say hi to a fellow WNYer!!! I don't have much to add other than encouragement and my hope that you will be able to have your TKR and not have to be in pain. Re: vomiting after surgery-I always got sick for exactly 3 days following, without fail, except for the two surgeries I had this year. I was given a scopalamine (sp?) patch to wear behind my ear each time. It was awesome- no nausea, no vomiting, and I was able to be much more alert and less groggy right after the procedure. I no longer feel anxious about waking up and having that awful "just had surgery" feeling. I am still amazed by how great I felt after my last two surgeries!

Keep us posted and hopefully you will have a good plan going forward.

Jen

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics