TKR So Far So Good

If doctors have no explanation for pain, they almost always say it's scar tissue. I think I'd go for another opinion. It makes no sense that you had no pain until a few months ago. I would think adhesions would hurt all the time and not just start up 5 months ago and come and go.

I had serious pain in my knee cap area about two years post TKR. I went to see my doc and he diagnosed adhesions. He did an Open Lysis (Removal) of Adhesions and said that my kneecap was held down by extension adhesions. He removed them and the problem was solved. I was in pain for about 3 or 5 days. But, then had to have a really slow recovery. He told me at least 10 times that if I exercised on a hot, inflamed knee, I would cause the adhesions to reform. So, no exercise at all for 3 weeks. I did heel slides and leg lifts at home. Mostly lay on the couch or the bed and red or watched videos. it was boring!!! At three weeks until 6 weeks I did table exercises--no weighbearing while exercising---I did leg lifts, clam shells, quad sets, etc. My PT did a lot of massage and basically helped to keep me sane.

At one point he looked me in the eye and said, Look, if we wait to do anything big until after 8 weeks, we will at least know that we gave it our best shot. If the adhesions reform, we will know that we did what was best for you. So, at 8 weeks, we began to do gentle standing exercises that built up until at 12 weeks when we did serious strengthening exercises. At 12 weeks I began to ride my bike outside, did lots of 20 mile rides that summer.

The upshot?? I have some adhesions in that knee still and I make a point of trying to ride a bike everyday. It keeps the knee moving. However I have no more pain and really I do a lot of stuff---like 20-30 mile bike rides and hikes. Am I glad that i did it? yes.

Some folks have an arthroscopic Lysis of adhesions and it seems that might be best. My doc was not sure he could get all of it and he did change out the spacer at the same time. I think it is a good idea to take care of it myself. Please ask any more questions that come up for you.

The additional information and perspectives provided are greatly appreciated. I still plan to think it over a few days; ironically my surgeon will be out for a short time due to his own surgical needs; so scheduling a scoping will be delayed some if I (we...me and my wife) decide to proceed.

Last edited:
@skigirl .....did your procedure improve your range of motion?

appears scar tissue is the culprit.
I'm with sistersinhim. In the face of no other evidence, always blame 'scar tissue'. Actually that term is incorrect - it should be adhesions!

Called a my surgeon's office today with a few more questions; should hear back tomorrow. Josephine...appreciate your input!

After additional discussion with the surgeon's staff and covering the questions I had, decided to just sit tight and not do a scope; unless and if until the pain becomes much more frequent than its been, I determined best to leave well enough alone for now. The knee has been just fine the past week....so it's consistently inconsistent!

Just "celebrated" my 5th anniversary for my RTKR!

The right one has not given me any issues. My left one has been "quiet" lately so I'm glad at this point I didn't go forward with the scope mentioned in my posts earlier this year. The left is a bit tender today but I've been off and on ladders all week with. A house painting project. That's probably why rather than those nasty adhesions....:) :-) (:.

Best to all!!!!!

Well.....go figure! Need to have my right hip checked out this coming Thursday. For the past few months I've been experiencing sharp pains with snapping; painful enough to stop me in my tracks; happens on level surfaces and inclines as well; primarily when walking but sometimes just turning creates the pain.

Hopefully not due to the overcompensation from delaying my left TKR....that's what ended up leading to my right TKR.....I've done a lot of reading here so will find out more on Thursday.....

X-rays from last Thursday revealed arthritis in the hip; symptoms may point to a torn labrum that's causing the catching/snapping/pain. Taking it easy a couple of weeks from long walking sessions; some home pt exercises with bands and some anti inflammatory meds. Will follow up with ortho just after Christmas to see how it's responded. will see what happens then........

Hip injection scheduled for first thing Wednesday am 1/1/2019........

The right hip injection (with fluoroscopy) went well; no issues and quickly done; didn't do a whole lot today; will see how it goes tomorrow with a walk. If torn labrum is involved my surgeon doesn't advocate having it scoped....due to (gasp!!!)....my age....:heehee:

Just reached 6 years with both knee replacements. All going well. Hips are cranky from time to time but tolerable....

If torn labrum is involved my surgeon doesn't advocate having it scoped....due to (gasp!!!)....my age....:heehee:
I have a torn labrum with some mild arthritis in my hip, the injection worked well for me. In the future if needed I am going straight to a THR. Friends my age who had repairs ended up with a THR in the end.

Glad to hear you are doing great!

7 years post LTKR yesterday.....time flies by!! All continues to be fine with the knee other than it getting “cranky” from time to time. So Far So Good.......

Well…..it’s been a very long time since my last post. I celebrated my 10th AnniKneeVersary on 2/5……everything is still working correctly…..range of motion is what it is. Still staying active with a lot of swimming, walking, and strength training.

”Mentored” a good friend (and swim coach) thru his TKR last October. He’s back to full activities now.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom