THR So far, so good, knock wood

I was wondering.

Should we continue to still take anti inflammatory drugs after the hip op, after the inflammatory hip has been taken away?

I am still taking Celebrex for my surgical pain. I am a little over 3 weeks post op. The nurse told me to take it as long as I needed it for pain. I am thinking I won’t need it much longer. I take it every 12 hours.

@Ric A I believe my doctor has me on an anti-inflammatory drug for a month. I am also trying to eat a less inflammatory diet with things like tart cherry juice, salmon and (almost) no sugar

@DancerHips

Yes, cooking is my biggest issue. It was tough after my surgery, and now with my other hip failing, it has become difficult again. It's really hard to cook with a cane, too. I'm always needing both hands and I set the cane against the counter and it falls and my hands are slimy... It's too bad, because cooking and baking are my favorite things. I hear you!!!

You have a good plan for recovering from the cooking experience. Hope you feel better soon!

@Schaargi Yes, I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't cook for much longer. But lately I've been more conservative and that has helped! My kids are coming into town for Mother's Day and we are going OUT!

New question. I had my 2 week post-op yesterday and got permission to drive and swap the walker for a cane--hooray!

Alas, as my hip improves, I am getting bored. But my energy isn't keeping up with the entertainment my brain craves. It's like I want to sleep and do something at the same time. I'm sure this is partly because my sleep is still pretty off. This feels like a whiney complaint but I feel like I'm going to go stir crazy. Anyone have any tips?

@DancerHips I am going stir crazy, too. I’m about 3.5 weeks post op. I can walk pretty well without the cane until I start to get sore. Not completely free of that surgical pain yet. I feel sleepy in the afternoons, but try to nap and can’t sleep. I feel like I want to do more, but I lose energy quickly. I’m just hanging out, waiting to be better. So, I have no tips. Just letting you know you’re not alone. LOL

Alas, as my hip improves, I am getting bored. But my energy isn't keeping up with the entertainment my brain craves. It's like I want to sleep and do something at the same time. I'm sure this is partly because my sleep is still pretty off. This feels like a whiney complaint but I feel like I'm going to go stir crazy. Anyone have any tips?
I had my surgery on April 21st and I feel the same. I'm not as tired as before, but I am getting bored. I like sitting at the table doing computer stuff (like reading the Bonesmart website) but then my leg starts to swell. I was talking to my aunt and uncle on the phone this afternoon and just started zoning out of the conversation because it took so much energy to listen to a long conversation (thankfully my sister was also on the phone call to carry the conversation on our end).

Hey there @DancerHips :wave:
How have you been over the past couple weeks? Hopefully all is well and you’re enjoying steady progress. Happy One Month Anniversary! Enjoy the weekend. :SUNsmile:

Thanks @Layla !

Yes, I've been meaning to give an update. Doing better, trying to walk per the recommended activity levels. Did a 22 or 24 minute (per husbands watch) almost mile today. Doing more cooking much to my husband's relief :dancy:

We did a quick weekend at our vacation home, 2 1/2 hrs away for a neighbor's 80th birthday party--stopping midway to walk and avoid blood clots. Thanks to Debbie (@Dmcfad2 ) for her travel account which made me careful not to overdo.

My energy is now up to dealing with my boredom so that is a relief, though I still crash if I do too much. I have slept through the night a couple nights (though my REM sleep is still off) so that has to be helping.

I still regularly consult bonesmart for what to do and not do, so a big thanks to all!

@DancerHips Sounds like you are progressing well. Nice you are traveling a bit. Im feeling good and slowly getting back to my routine. I’m doing more cooking, too. I’m wishing I would have milked it a little longer. :loll:

Oh my, it is helpful to know that feeling bored is common. It is like there is a voice inside my head saying “just do that later”. Mindless Netflix seems to be my constant companion!
I set up multiple “projects” after hearing some good advice on the pre-op side. they are even within reach right by my recovery nest.
However, I start one thing, put it down and start another...just seem to not have the energy to stay focused and finish something. I intend to put together some ideas to streamline tasks when I go back to work, but can not get started.
Most I have accomplished is coloring postcards to send to the grandkids. Technology aside, I think they enjoy (hopefully) getting real mail.

I had my 6 week (and 1 day) exam yesterday and thought I'd give an update.

I have had some redness at the end of my incision scar that was concerning me. They explained that the incision ends have knots which sometimes don't dissolve readily and look irritated. But no infection and it should eventually resolve. The rest of the incision looks a bit hypertrophic except it's perfectly flat where the band of my underwear crosses it. I asked about using scar away and they said go ahead.

I am removed from restrictions except for heavy lifting--and just behaving sensibly. I definitely walk more slowly and do long walks with the cane still. Still not walking more than a mile, which feels fine but I get winded with any level of real exertion. Did some gardening today and could really tell I was out of shape.

Overall the pain is pretty minimal, though I've been very careful. Just some soreness along the outside of the hip and the butt area.

Last edited:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re still doing well and enjoying steady progress. I think your energy level will slowly return as you move further away from your surgery date. Our body uses energy first for healing, often not leaving a lot for the activities of daily living. Rest and nap when you’re able as our body does it’s best healing while we sleep.
Stay in touch and take good care! :wave:
@DancerHips

@Layla Wow, I missed the 2 month mark--I guess that's a good sign! I am finding I forget about the hip more and more.

For the record, at this point, I am sleeping better, though I still wake up more and my REM sleep is low (though improved). As far as cooking, shopping, etc, I'd say I am back to norrmal. I'd like to start swimming again to build up endurance but real life is getting in the way, at least mostly in a good sense. There is a 2 1/2 mile hike I want to do before the season ends but I am still stuck at a mile walking with the cane. My sense is that I'm going to need to change things up some to get there.

Happy 2 months. I am impressed with your mile walk…I am still stuck at 1/2 mile followed by ice and rest. Incision is well healed so I am planning to see if walking in our above ground pool will add some endurance.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562