TKR Snowdrop’s Second Knee Adventure

So after quite a bit of run-around (on the phone, lol), I finally have pain meds in hand...enough to last me until Monday when I see my OS. This is such a relief, not to be counting pills and hours and waiting out the pain as long as possible to make the pills stretch. I am looking forward to a good sleep, as last night was rather hellish.

Leg lifting is still a no-go and the bend is ever so stiff. By evening it all gets rather discouraging. Staples don’t come out until Monday...maybe I will feel a difference after that?

Buckets of tears this morning. I am feeling like things will never get better. I read the progress of others around this stage and can’t help but compare my pathetic progress to theirs. I know I shouldn’t.

You're at the so difficult time right now, and not sleeping makes everything so much harder. It gets better, it will pass. Stay strong.

I first joined this wonderful group in Jan of 2016 when I had my RTKR done. It was a rough journey, but with all of your help, I made it through!
Buckets of tears this morning. I am feeling like things will never get better.
:console2::console2:
The early days are very difficult and emotional. Try to relax and just accept the tears, they are an unfortunate part of this recovery. I cried buckets, too! We understand and are here for you!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

You know you came through last time , you’ll come through again this time. :console2:

:console2:I'm sure you remember that the blues are normal after this surgery, but that doesn't make them any easier to get through. You are an individual person with an individual knee. Inside that knee, your OS found different things than someone else's OS found in theirs. That why each knee is different. Each surgery's procedure is unique to that particular person. You don't know what all your OS had to do inside your knee. Your knee has different things to heal from than what someone else's knee does. It will heal on its own schedule. Love that knee and treat it with the care that you would give a baby. It's fine to cry, as a matter of fact, it's good. Tears release toxins and stress. Have a good cry and remember that tomorrow will be a better day!

@ snowdrop we are 3 days apart and having very similar ups and downs. I also, even though I am walking quite well on a replaced knee still have trouble convincing myself this one will eventually be pain free and strong as well. I had the same problem with this leg refusing to lift for a week or ten days. I did not have that problem with the first one for more than 3 or 4 days. It’s getting a little better, but still quite painful if I demand too much from it. Onward and upward, slowly but surely.

These first few weeks are tough to be sure, but they are not as endless as they seem. Hang in there, lean on your traveling companions as much as you need to, and we’ll all make it together.

Denny39, sistersinhim, Jockette, Benay...thank you for taking the time to respond with such kind words. The tears have finally stopped, but what a meltdown I had. I cancelled my PT at the hospital because of my fragile mental state this morning...plus, it is unbelievably hot and humid out today...I would have swelled up like a balloon before even getting there! I chose to do my pt at home with hubby’s help in my air-conditioned house...it went well.

I have been iced and fed now...Friends is on my Netflix loop...door is closed to keep the dogs out...I see a good long nap in my future. Again, thanks for helping me through what seemed a very insurmountable hill this morning. :tiredwheel:

We are all always here for you! :console2:

Yay for Netflix and Amazon Prime and HBO Go - relax and happy 4th!

Iced and fed, Netflix and YouTube, what a familiar routine. I have an unrelenting achiness radiating from the middle of my knee. Don’t remember that level of severity for this long from last time. I’ve tried every contortion I can without looking like a model for Picasso, (actually, maybe I did just a bit a couple of times), but there is no relief. But it is slowly easing up, and I can move around some without my walker. We’ll get there! Hope you can relax and enjoy your holiday..

Had an amazing 2 hour nap after my last post. Cancelling PT and staying put today was absolutely what I needed to do. I have done my exercises twice today and am icing and elevating now. Again, thanks for the support. Going to relax and binge some Stranger Things now :)

Buckets of tears this morning. I am feeling like things will never get better. I read the progress of others around this stage and can’t help but compare my pathetic progress to theirs. I know I shouldn’t.
I know how easy it is to get discouraged, but do try to remember that your poor knee has very recently had very major surgery. It's still traumatized and it needs time and gentle treatment, so it can start to heal. Try not to expect too much, too soon, from it.

Other people may seem to be progressing faster right now, but that doen't mean there's anything wrong with your progress. Each knee replacement and each recovery is different. That's why we advise people to try not to compare.

Thank you Celle. You are right. Deep down I know that to be true, but in the heat of the moment today, I was completely overwhelmed. I am taking a deep breath and trying hard to listen to my own body...I know it will get better and I just have to be patient (so much easier to say than do!).

I had this conversation with my husband yesterday and I started crying because...I have no idea. I've been "brainjacked" and pleaded remember my emotional responses probably have no grounding whatsoever in reality.

Take more naps and be gentle with yourself.

I enlarged and printed a copy of a chart that @Celle has shared that depicts recovery in what looks like a child's scribble. When I had a crying day or felt like progress was something I would never see, I put a mark and the date somewhere on that chart. Over time, my recovery took many turns - backwards, sideways, and occasionally forward. This helped me accept that my knee was plotting its own path and I was just along for the ride. Hope you're feeling better soonest.

I think this is the image that Rather mentions:

Recovery chart drawn.jpg

Annnnnd....we have lift off!....leg lift off, that is! I was able to get that sucker up for a few seconds during my exercises today! :wowspring:

And Celle, thank you for that image...it is perfect!

Otherwise doing ok today. It helps that my wee grandson is visiting for a few days...he is 3.5 months old and sweet as a button! He keeps the smile on my face today. :)

It helps that my wee grandson is visiting for a few days...he is 3.5 months old and sweet as a button! He keeps the smile on my face today.
Yippee and Yahoo on your leg lift and sweet little grandson's visit.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562