TKR Snoots recovery thread<

Turn your stick upside down and hook the handle under your foot and use that to lift your leg up or down as required. You won't need to do that for long though once your quads 'wake up'.

Well I’m home and I feel very odd. Almost like being a stranger in your own home. My other half is very busy at work and with kids so I feel a bit at sea.
I am not very good at resting so have been very anxious. My leg feels very painful when I lift it and I had a very sweaty sleep earlier.

God I hope this passes. Very tearful.

@snoots
All of that sounds completely normal.
I managed to cook a one pot meal this evening. Husband put it on the table and I just burst into tears. He wondered what he had done wrong bless him.
I just needed a couple of minutes to compose myself and then I was ok but it makes you think "what was that all about"

Well I’m home and I feel very odd. Almost like being a stranger in your own home. My other half is very busy at work and with kids so I feel a bit at sea.
I am not very good at resting so have been very anxious. My leg feels very painful when I lift it and I had a very sweaty sleep earlier.

God I hope this passes. Very tearful.

It will pass @snoots . It’s really hard when you are used to being busy to suddenly being unable to do very much. It will get easier, make sure you are taking all available pain meds as often as prescribed. Even if you think at the time the pain isn’t it bad it sneaks back up on you. Ice and elevation, plenty of rest and eating little and often is all you need to do now xx

You'll appreciate being in your own bed. You'll settle down soon after all the upheaval and trauma of the past week.
Sleep well!

I’ve just taken delivery of a game ready machine hired from my physio so I am hoping it will ease the ache in my leg. Everyone at home seems to be very ‘on edge’ so I am feeling extra anxious. I hope this feeling fades as I am sure all the extra stress doesn’t help my recovery.

Last edited:
One of the reasons that I refused opioides for my second TKR was the horrible anxious feelings I experienced when taking them. Could that be what's up with you?

That would make sense @Spex10. I know it’s all normal but when you are at home alone it just becomes a bit overwhelming.

Thank you everyone for the support. X

This too really shall pass!

Tears, sometimes for no known reason, were common for me too. I still, now at 8 weeks, sometimes feel completely defeated and overwhelmed by what’s happening. My thoughts are with you. Can’t be easy with children to worry about as well. One day at a time...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Morning All and greetings from a wind swept South Coast. I had a reasonable sleep last night, no more plastic mattresses or duvets helped!

I have set up my nest in the living room with my bed/couch set up complete with ice machine, remote control and heated blanket. My toes get very cold in the support stockings!

I wondered how often I should be icing my knee for? I’ve been doing around 30 mins and then trying to do some gentle leg lifts etc. Still get clawing pain in medial side between my femur and tib.

Last edited:
Josephine advises icing 45-60 minutes at least 4 times a day. Always have a cloth between your skin and the ice pack. You can ice all night, too, as many members find this helps them sleep. You should elevate every time you ice, especially in these early days when you have a lot of swelling.

That’s great you had a reasonable sleep last night!

I iced the whole time I was down, hours at a time. I always had a light weight towel between me and my ice machine baffle. This kept my swelling and pain down to a minimum.

Does anyone else find they hit a ‘witching hour’ of pain in the early evening?

@snoots yes!! Last night and now. Ice isn’t helping so I think it will be oramorph again

@snoots The Game Ready should be a great asset for your recovery. I have been using one as well. I have been using Program 2 or 3..

Program 2 =30 minutes ON, 30 minutes OFF, Low Compression
Program 3 = 30 minutes ON, 30 minutes OFF, Med Compression

FYI... if you do one of these programs overnight while you sleep, the machine will automatically "pause" at the end of 30 minutes and then automatically restart after 30 minutes "pause" period and will continue this until you shut it off with the POWER button.

I usually do this 7-8 times a day while having leg elevated. My physio suggested wrapping a pillow case around the leg before putting the Game Ready cuff over the area. this has worked well for me so far.

I do tend to have a couple hours in late afternoon/early evening where I feel "worse" or pain level increases or just an overall unwell feeling. At those times I try to relax or take a nap and let it pass.

Hang in there.... it's a marathon not a sprint.... I've heard the first two weeks are the worse and then real improvement begins.

Incision 01 Day 2 - Home 2.jpg
Game Ready Home Day 1 Bed.jpg

@ snoots, yes I get a period in the late afternoon when I become really agitated and the knee niggles away like toothache, I then get another period of the same about 8pm. I get up and walk about a bit then get the ice going and that usually helps to settle it

@JDinCT blimey what a contraption! Somehow I managed with bags of frozen peas and sweetcorn. I hope you let the fresh air at your knee from time to time to promote healing.
@Lilli215 I agree that somehow just getting up and walking about a bit really helps.

Ice which was so lovely today is now making me (and my leg) twitchy and sore. My tummy is also still on strike and beginning to feel like the goings on in our Houses of Parliament this evening

So Day 6 bring yet another new experience. As my bruising comes out the pain changes. Duller pain which seems to creep up out of nowhere. I keep having to remind myself that it has been less than a week since my leg was effectively sawn in two.

The colour and the extent of my bruising is a sight to behold. It stretches almost up to my groin and down most of my shin. The Game Ready machine is great but I can’t stand much more than 15-20 mins on it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom