TKR Snoots recovery thread<

. I think brains have been rationed on this ward too! That made me smile! Lovely NiceNurse has just told me my meds are going to be changed before I go home to take account of my reaction to opioids. I think it was just the liquid morph that I reacted to. The previous night I had a tablet but can’t remember what it was.

I’ve just been dozing this afternoon watching the rugby but had a couple of weird dreams where I dreamt I had fallen over. I woke up with a jump (which wasn’t pleasant!!).

Can’t tell u how much this forum is helping!!!

@snoots I have the same reaction to opioids :sick:! Be sure you work with staff to get your pain managed before they discharge you. And ask for anti-nausea meds as well. Rough start but you'll feel much better when you are in your own home.

Day 3 ( is it day 3 or 4?). I lose track! Felt much better yesterday. Nausea pretty much gone and pain seemed to be under control. Ice is so much better at pain control than any opioid! I am feeling like I can go home either today or tomorrow but feel a bit frightened about leaving hospital. @Jolease are u going home soon? I saw u had little time between PKR and the TKR. What happened? I do feel fortunate in a weird way that I seem to have jumped the queue as it were and gone straight to TKR! Hugs to everyone this morning from a windy Southampton hospital!

feel a bit frightened about leaving hospital
Just take things very slow and steady. Don't feel pushed into anything. You will be fine and probably feel a lot better at home.

@snoots
Glad you are feeling a bit better this morning.
It was last Sunday when I went home. On my last walk with physio I told her that husband was worried about looking after me at home and she said if I was also worried she would get me to stay another night. BUT ... went home and everything was fine.
It was windy just like this last week also. Just go slowly and you will be ok.

@snoots,try not to worry about going home, although it’s a daunting process you will feel so much better being in your own home and you will quickly establish a routine which suits you rather than the ward routine. I’m on my second tkr and also had foot surgery last year, what I do is establish my ‘mission control’ base. This comprises my chair, footstool, table, pillow, cushion, medication, ice bucket and cuff , ipad, tv remote and pile of magazines. Takes up half the living room right enough but saves hubby running back and forth all the time. You will be fine, we’ve also gothigh winds up here in Scotland plus torrential hail showers:gaah:

@snoots Hi, I came home the day after surgery. My pkr was a nightmare, first they had the plate in wrong which caused me an impingement. I couldn’t straighten leg because of it, finally after he’d say the x-rays look good and lots of tears he says that he feels if he adjusts the plate It should “fix” the issue. Got through that recovery fairly well, but as soon as the surgical pain was gone a whole new can of worms opened. Was in constant pain, couldn’t walk more than 10 ish minutes at a time. My leg never felt sturdy, it never felt right since he put it in. I tried everything before I went in for the revision. Just need to get through these first couple weeks, get the swelling &pain down. Thanks and I agree , although it works for some I wish he had just done the tkr the second time. Xx

Sorry to hear that @Jolease.
@snoots you'll be so happy to be back to your own home (and bathroom!!). Relax into the next few weeks in a new routine. Sleep while you can and focus on healing and just walking about the house.

Quiet day today but found my appetite has come back. This has led to the inevitable queasy feelings and I feel bunged up. Sipping peppermint tea at the moment but feel very ropey.

Are you home yet?
I know its hard to believe right now but you wont always feel like this. A few long weeks of gradual improvements turn into months that rapidly accelerate into a new pain free you. It will happen!

Still in hospital. Wish I had come out today now. Just vomited after trying to eat some dinner. Now I have been given a cocktail of naproxen, senecot, milk of magnesia and paracetamol. Rattling!!

:console2:I hope you can go home tomorrow.

Nausea is the pits. Are they giving you anything for it? Ask for some plain crackers. They helped me. Those, and peppermints. I pray you have a good day and night and can go home soon. That's the best place for you.

Once home, I found that strong coffee and oranges took care of the need for Sennacot...

Nausea is horrible. I nibble on ginger nut biscuits. It worked in pregnancy and seems to be doing the trick now too! I also sit nibbling in prunes which has also done the trick I hope you get home today. It is scary being home but so nice to have my own bed.

Aww, snoots, that sickness is the pits. I hope they manage to get a grip of it today. As for the bathroom problems have they mentioned a pessary? The second time I was in hospital they insisted I had one or I couldn't leave so reluctantly I agreed. It was easy and worked very well.

Hope you get home today

Going home today!!! Still no (ahem) movement in some areas but knee feels good. Very stiff but with ice, I can manage to lift leg and bend is approx 45*. I get a horrible clawing pain on the inside thigh when I lift my leg but trying to keep ice on that area. Should I expect this pain and should I exercising?

Yes, there will be pain but hopefully it will be managed with medication.

Don’t do any exercises that hurt. Move your knee gently for the sake of mobility and just short walks. That’s really all you need right now.

Yippee, going home. You will probably feel a bit vulnerable when you get home, well I did anyway, without the nurses to call on, but that feeling soon passes and you can do what you want in your own space.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks