TKR Snoots recovery thread<

snoots

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
All over! One day in. Lots of pain and swelling. I’ve been up with my walking frame but felt dizzy afterwards.

@snoots and lie down for a bit, but it should pass.

I recognise the lots of pain and swelling too :). I am hoping that will pass quickly as well

Best wishes for your recovery. You can now start your recovery thread on the recovery forum. If you need help with that, let us know.

@snoots It sounds as if your blood pressure dropped. Take it easy. it happened to me and I kept passing out and was confined to bed for 24 hours. Hope it's settled now.

Hello @snoots - and :welome: to recovery.

I've started a recovery thread for you, here, so please continue to post updates about your progress in trhis thread, not in your pre-op thread.

Here is the post-op reading we give to everyone:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi@snoots I had a revision done same day as you. I hope your recovery goes well and get the pain under control. I to have major swelling and bruising and pain. I’m 49 so we’re close in age to. I have high blood pressure so I watch it as pain makes it sky rocket. Ugh. I hope we both get a bit of sleep here n there xx

Hi @snoots. I almost fainted the first time a PT tried to get me up. He wouldn't listen! Maybe he didn't know much about postural hypotension. He certainly didn't know much about TKR as I told him in no uncertain terms next time he tried! Bad patient? Moi?

So it’s Day 2. Getting upset at the double standards of care here. Some nurses are lovely and others are awful. Completely contradicting information led to me being pumped full of liquid morphine last night. My surgeon came in at 8.30am to see me puke everywhere. He was furious. He asked the nurse what she’d given me as I was ashen.

Ten mins later, an anti emitic jab in my bottom and I feel better.

One nurse comes in and says get up and opens window, then another comes in and shuts it. I’m so exhausted!!

:console2:I sure hope you can go home soon, that is awful to have so much contradiction. At least it seems your doctor cares and took measures right away to help you.

Oh dear. I hope the nurses are at least kind even if they are confused. I seemed to have several really good ones but one who shouldn't be working as a nurse!

I felt the same way! The nurse in recovery and my first day nurse were awesome. My night nurse and the next morning nurse and the “ in between “ nurses just didn’t listen or just went by the book. I am happy to be home and I can do what works for me. I hope you get released soon you’ll do much better at home. Hang in there.

@snoots
So sorry to hear about the problems you have had. That just shouldn't happen.
It was a good job your surgeon came in when he did.

I was glad to see that when the nurse came in with my liquid morphine she was aware that it made me nauseous last time and said that if I wanted to take it she would only give me a half dose. Thumbs up from me.

It shouldn't be long before you are home and can have things the way you want them.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

I''m sorry to hear about the trouble you had at the hospital! I had the same thing happen. Day nurse was amazing; night nurse seemed fresh out of nursing school. I had to tell her what to do... haha... but hey, I survived!
I hope you have a easy breezy recovery! Good for you for getting this done so young! You can recover and move on with your life!
I'm still struggling finding someone to take me on because of my age (and revision)

Thank you all for your support. It is SO helpful to read when I’m stuck in hospital. @Bionic I’m on the South Coast of England. I’m sticking to cryopack for pain relief at the moment but I think pain is starting to creep up again. Does anyone else get that? Fee like I’m on a rollercoaster with no brakes or seatbelt!!

I was very lucky with my nurses. They were all brilliant. Like Bionic my oramorph was reduced by half to stop the nausea. Pain is up and down those first few days, not helped when they mess your meds up and especially if you're not keeping them down. Hope you feel better soon.

Paracetamol works really well if you take the right dosage. Much better for you than nasty opioides. It'll be good when you're home again.

@snoots I used to live on the South Coast of England

What pain meds are you on and do you know what they are going to send you home with? I went home with paracetamol, 2 to be taken every 6 hours. Codeine, 1 or 2 every 6 hours. I was only taking one and stopped the day time ones yesterday and now am just having them at midnight and 6am. I also came home with a bottle or oramorph and intend to take half a dose (like in hospital) if I need it but so far haven't used it.

When you get home make sure to set your alarm to take your meds when you should and not just when you think you should. In the early hours it is easy to get confused so the alarm on my phone also had which meds to take at specific times. Its worth taking a few minutes out to set all the alarms up.

Funny story about 'new' nurses
The new nurse started the day that I went into hospital. She was lovely although not the sharpest tool in the box. She had been given the job of putting a compression stocking on the unoperated leg before theatre (first time they have done that) Anyway, she opened the pack, took out both stockings, put one on me and put the other in the bin. I didn't say anything but asked husband to retrieve it later. :rotfl:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ChartheBlackCat
Recent bookmarks