THR Slow progress at almost 1 month post op

Well, I took them off for several hours a day while moving around but did wear them while sitting for longer car rides over the holiday. Incredibly liberating!! And I think I am actually moving a little better without them. It could just be recovery time too! Tomorrow will be one month post op! Woo Hoo! Thanks for all the advice & comments!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy One Month Anniversary!
What a great Summer you'll have. Losing the pain and getting stronger each week.
May it only get better.
A great weekend to you!
@RebcaO61

Ok. I have another question. I am doing well with ADL’s I think, walking, showering without shower chair, doing hair and make up without sitting down, light meal preparation ( no gourmet stuff yet!)BUT, I still cannot lift my surgical hip to put underwear/ pants on! I have to step into them on the floor![emoji13]Is this a stage that WILL improve or are there exercises I should do to strengthen that leg better?

Hi @RebcaO61, I had my surgery day before you, so know what you are going through, although my was bilateral. You are doing really well. I too still struggle with getting dressed, can’t reach my feet. I have these dressing sticks to help pull up underwear & pants, they are a god send. My Physio said the restriction is due to the hips still healing & some swelling around the incision/joint tissues. It’s slowly improving.
I hear you about the TED stockings! I only needed to wear them in hospital, but was told to wear compression tights, like gym tights or skins for 6 weeks. That was easier, as I had lots of those from my not too distant gym days. Like you I’m hoping to get back to the gym one day. Maybe you could try them & “lose” the TED’s. I was also on Xarelto for 30 days, just finished.
All the best with your recovery!

Ok! WOW! 2 st once, you humble me! I do have a grabber but haven’t had to really use it. I was very active with yoga prior to surgery & have lots of flexibility (maybe too much per a PT friend!) so I can easily reach my toes & pull up once I step in , I just can’t lift my leg enough YET so when I put left leg in & pull up I can step in with right ( like Normal[emoji12]!). Still tough to lift surgical leg into passenger side of car too(right). I guess I’m just a little impatient. Time & a little more icing maybe will help decrease swelling! I don’t go back for my x-ray follow up until the 31st!! Thanks for the info & suggestions. Good luck with BOTH your hips!!

I have been doing ok. Left knee STILL has fluid from surgery end of January is making my return to normal gait a bit rough but otherwise think i’m dealing with normal stuff ...Until today. I hope I am just a member of the ODIC but I was replanting some flowers in a flower bed and I felt a “wimp” like roll in my hip- more like a muscle roll maybe? Anyway I stood up, sat down a few minutes and was able to finish the job in about 20 minutes but I was very cautious about my leg position. We then took our dog for a walk in the park , .75 miles per watch and I did ok but I can tell I might need ice tonight. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Really hoping it is t a bad sign..

It takes awhile for muscles and soft tissues to firm up around that new hip. Many people feel popping or clunking sensations post op. Just give this time - it will soon fade.

I think there's really widely varied opinion about this. My OS doesn't use them for clotting--just ankle pumps, 2 aspirin a day, and regularly getting up to walk around.

I think the sooner a person starts walking around, the less important the stockings are. I think I started taking mine off at night around day 10, and by day 20 couldn't be bothered to struggle back into them.

It takes awhile for muscles and soft tissues to firm up around that new hip. Many people feel popping or clunking sensations post op. Just give this time - it will soon fade.

Thank you. It has happened just a few times, so nice to know it’s likely part of the recovery process. Thank you!!

Thank you. It has happened just a few times, so nice to know it’s likely part of the recovery process. Thank you!!

It has happened a few more times ( about every other day actually. A therapist friend of mine actually was just checking my ROM Today (she was VERY GENTLE) and felt it happen. Popped right back in place immediately on it’s own. She thought maybe because I have hyper-mobile joint flexibility that it will take a little longer to stabilize. I can get up and walk ok after it happens! Anybody else going through this or had it happen this often? RTHR June 6th.

Popped right back in place immediately on it’s own.

Hi,
Please consider checking with the office of your OS on this. Popping in and out of place doesn't sound normal, unless I'm misunderstanding your description. One of the members of your OS's care team may be able to gauge whether it's common, or not, through a conversation with you. Because you're questioning it, I think you should seek some reassurance from the your OS, not your Physical Therapist.
A great week to you as you continue healing. :wave:
@RebcaO61

Feeling a little :sad: for the poor TEDs not getting much love so wanted to say, in their defense, that I have found them to be a nice firm hug over the last week, and, with the frequent icing, they have the added benefit of keeping my legs a comfortable temp. I will probably turn fickle on them too, though, in the coming days/weeks in the urge to return to normalcy.

I will be 2 months Post op in a week. Big improvements from one month out. Just want newbies to know it really does get better. Just be PATIENT! Today X-rays were all good. Wow! What a difference pre-op to post op pics! Doc not concerned about the popping/ rolling of hip muscles other than “don’t push through it, just back off whatever I’m going at the time.” Starting to take steps one foot after the other instead of step togethers. Rolling over in bed & sleeping on surgical side much easier. Getting in & out of car easier again! OS Still not recommending Physical therapy for strengthening, just continue with quad sets, heal slides & walking, walking, walking. She said it is like a new ‘baby hip’ and needs to be gently engaged not pushed. I did get clearance to swim as scar is all healed so VERY happy about that. Not using cane any more, walking my 65 lb dog twice a day & 40 minutes on recumbent bike level 4 (out of 8) 3-4 x /week. Scheduled to return to work the end of this month. Hope my stamina will be ready. 9-10 hour days, 4 days a week with normal day 20,000 steps. Here’s hoping.

:goodpost: You sound very well!
She said it is like a new ‘baby hip’ and needs to be gently engaged not pushed.
I love this.:yes:

I did get clearance to swim as scar is all healed so VERY happy about that. Not using cane any more, walking my 65 lb dog twice a day & 40 minutes on recumbent bike level 4 (out of 8) 3-4 x /week.
:wowspring:

:fingersx: for things to continue to improve.:thumb:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member