TKR 16 weeks post right TKR

I know 5 weeks seems like a long time, but you are still very early days in this year-long recovery, @Susytish, and discomfort up and down the leg -- even into the hips is very normal at this stage of recovery.

Remember that all of the soft tissue in your leg was traumatized by the surgical procedure and it takes time to heal from that.

What's more, it's very likely that you were favoring the bad knee prior to surgery, putting the rest of your body out of alignment. It takes time -- and some aches and pains -- for our back, hips and legs to adjust to the new alignment created by the surgery.

Be patient; you will likely some improvement with time.

Well 6 weeks post right TKR.
Feeling a bit sorry for myself today, as I thought by now I would be much further along the road to normal life. It is hard. I am doing the exercises, icing and elevating, walking a bit. Should I be walking more?
Husband has cancer, and is on chemo every week. I just want to be better to look after him. He has been so supportive.

Aww, I am sorry you're having a sad day. I am not sure exactly what you're doing for exercises or how often and far your walking, so it is difficult to estimate whether you should be walking more.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured knee to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through surgery will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Six weeks into recovery is still very early into the healing process. Give it time, you will get there. A nice walk outdoors will be a mood booster also. Wishing lots of comfort to both you and your husband.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
@Susytish

Sorry for your troubles. 6 weeks is hard without having to support your husband during chemo.
I found weeks 6- 10 really tough because I felt I should be doing more and feeling better. But doing too much caused pain/ swelling and made me feel low. Also a lot of stupid people started asking if I was "better" yet......

You're walking as much as YOU should. Everyone is different.

I was (am) the over-doing-it type to some extent and even I had to stop pushing myself so hard. Got tired of having to spend a whole day in bed after too vigorous PT (my idea - I can't blame my PT). It's better to have steady gains (which take time) over up and down IMO.

Last edited:
@Susytish
I understand your dilemma. My hubs goes for immunotherapy every 3 weeks and is on daily meds for his cancer and his prognosis is great.
The initial diagnosis came when I was 2 weeks post op and he needed surgery to remove the malignancy.
Imuunotherapy infusion is nowhere close to chemo side effects.

6 weeks is still very early for you. Your ADLs (activities of daily living) include helping your hubby, household chores he can't help you with,etc. And you're probably walking and moving around enough that you don't need much more. If you continue with a lot of icing and elevating your knee will respond.

I felt a big difference at the 8 week point. But, I was icing and elevating so much prior to that. My ADLs were enough to keep the knee moving.
And my hubs wasn't suffering the side effects that chemo produces.
Feel free to private message me if you'd like to.
Hang in there:flwrysmile:

Hi
How do I do a private message please?

@Susytish at the top of the page next to your avatar is an icon that looks like an envelope. Tap that and put in the screen name if the person you want to pm.

I had right TKR 6 weeks ago. Progressing slowly. I have arthritis in right hip and surgeon did knee first as that was most painful. No pain in hip. Now the hip is aching a bit and I don’t know whether it is my walking gait with crutches, or whether it is arthritis. I see the surgeon at the end of the week so obviously will talk to him, but I wondered if anyone else had this problem after the knee surgery.

My one hip is misaligned slightly (a problem for years) and I too noticed hip pain those early weeks. It got better and went away as my body adapted to the new TKR.

Keep us posted on your progress.

My hip pain got better after my knee surgery and I have virtually no hip pain now, apart from some stiffness after a long car journey.
I have moderate arthritis in my hips ( worse on my operated knee side) but straightening my leg during knee surgery relieved the hip pain.
Hips, knees and backs are all totally interlinked in terms of pain. I still have some lower back pain but the excruciating sciatica I had before has also gone.
I wonder whether you are still walking a bit awkwardly and putting unequal forces on your hip? Are you still using two crutches or just one?

@Susytish You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

I have chronic bursitis in my left hip and a little arthritis. Not enough to have thr. Thank goodness. But, that bursitis.
I had a cortisone injection in November and am trying to wait awhile for another.
Could you possibly have hip bursitis?

I am 7 weeks post right knee replacement. Thought I was progressing slowly. Saw the surgeon yesterday for 6 week follow-up. I was starting to feel a bit uncomfortable in groin and lower back. I knew I had arthritis in right hip. He said you will need a new hip after next 12 months. I feel depressed as I haven’t got over the knee surgery yet. I was looking forward to getting some normal life back. I don’t know what to do. Should I be exercising more, walking more, etc.
Interested to hear from others who have been in this position.

I have arthritis in my right hip( plus a labral tear) and pretty significant arthritis in my lumbar spine with one area of spinal stenosis.
My hip pain has massively improved since my partial knee replacement and my leg was also straightened.
Are you walking straight yet or do you still have a limp? 7 weeks is still very early. You are probably still putting all kinds of odd strains on your other joints still.
My lower back was much worse for a while after my surgery ( although the severe sciatica disappeared). The lower back pain is improving now I can lie on my tummy to do back extensions and kneel very briefly to do cat stretches.
You may or may not need further surgery at some point ( as may I) but I think it is probably too early to tell how your hip will be in a few weeks. I would just concentrate on rehab for the knee and walking as straight as possible.
I plan to try to maintain my other joints by walking ( but not running or doing any jumping), regular pilates to improve my core and losing a few more pounds. A physio once told me that every pound you lose is 3 lbs of force off the hip and knee joints.

It's very possible that your hip will feel better once you knee does and you start walking more normally. Mine did. Hopefully, that hip replacement won't be necessary.

@Susytish,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Hi. How do you adjust your gait to walk straight!. I had a wonky leg before the knee surgery. Now it is straight, but I think my body possibly thinks it is still wonky. It went out an an angle below the knee.

Hi. How do you adjust your gait to walk straight!.
Try heel-toe walking.

This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.

It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
1619184824963-jpeg.83076

I had a very wonky leg prior to my surgery. I was over 20 degrees knock kneed on my surgery side because the lateral arthritis had collapsed that knee compartment.
My gait seemed to just adjust itself and I don't remember a problem with having to learn to walk straight again.
Maybe it depends on what the cause of the wonkiness is? Mine was due to the arthritic joint and surgery solved it. I still have a overstretched MCL though which causes some pain. Perhaps if the crookedness was more dur to tendon/ ligament issues then it takes longer to sort out/ relearn.
Have you got a good physio, othotist or your surgeon you can ask to look at your gait and advise?

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope given more time your hip will not cause as much discomfort and you get many more miles out of it before facing THR. If surgery becomes necessary, sooner rather than later, the odds are in your favor that you'll do very well and return to all that you love without the pain! :happydance:
A great week to you!
@Susytish

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie