THR 5 months in

Doubledose

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thank you I hope this one will be a speedy recovery
Had a surprise call from the hospital they had a cancellation for today and offered to me
I jumped at the chance and am now on day 1 of recovery
I switched to a different consultant as mine is away sick and this surgery had some differences in the anaesthesia (extra anti sickness given instead of sedation
And morphine given spinally
I was a lot less sick after and recovered my senses and feeling better much more quickly
I have staples as well as sutures this time too so will see how that pans out
I am a lot more stiff and sore this time but I think this hip may have been a lot more difficult to deal with
I will keep you posted on my progress tomorrow is physio then discharge on Thursday/Friday

What a nice surprise! Congratulations on your new hip. It sounds like your experience with your anesthetic was a good one. Which is such a relief!

Even though this is your second THR, I'd like to leave you our recovery guidelines.
As for the stiffness and soreness, I hope the medical staff is providing you with ice packs and adequate pain meds.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you so much for your positive and helpful advice
After the minor but painful set back I had last time trying to please my physio terrorist I will certainly be putting your common sense advice to use
I trained as a holistic therapist some years ago and your advice sits very well with all I learned there
So pleased to find this website have been suggesting it to other patients who are struggling

Great that it’s all done and that you are recovering now. I have my second hip surgery next Monday, so I’ll be joining you as a double hippy too.

I was scheduled in Oct and then got a call they had a cancellation on Aug 3rd. I was so happy I could have cried so I know how you are feeling in that regard! Hope your recovery goes well!

Could anyone advise please if it’s ok to sleep on my non operated side with a pillow between legs to avoid crossing over and dislocating
This is day 4 of recovery and I understand you are not to sleep in operated side but was wondering if this was a possibility as my back aches badly when I’m trying to sleep on it constantly grateful for any advice

I think I started side sleeping on day 4 or 5. I used a big pillow that ran from my knees to my ankles and just had to be careful when getting up during the night to take meds or use the bathroom.

advise please if it’s ok to sleep on my non operated side with a pillow between legs to avoid crossing over and dislocating
If you can tolerate sleeping on your non-op side then give it a try. You need to make sure you have a pillow between your legs.

To ease back pain when back sleeping put a small pillow under your knees. This eases pressure on your lower back.

Great that it’s all done and that you are recovering now. I have my second hip surgery next Monday, so I’ll be joining you as a double hippy too.
Hope all went well with your surgery I am now beginning to feel more comfortable and more myself it’s week 3 of recovery and although sleep evades me I’m doing well Hope your recovery is speedy!

@Doubledose, I’m glad that you are feeling more comfortable, I am too. It’s difficult to be patient isn’t it? I’m not in a rush really, it takes as long as it takes.

This hip seems so different to the first one, not painful really but uncomfortable in different places, and more swollen. I love it though.

I hope you have a great weekend and continue to improve.

@Doubledose, I’m glad that you are feeling more comfortable, I am too. It’s difficult to be patient isn’t it? I’m not in a rush really, it takes as long as it takes.

This hip seems so different to the first one, not painful really but uncomfortable in different places, and more swollen. I love it though.

I hope you have a great weekend and continue to improve.
I too am finding this hip different to the first one I was warned this could be the case so tried to remain open minded but I am troubled by my foot turning outwards this time - it causes muscle pull on the shin and if I attempt to straighten the foot that causes an ache in the hip
I’m seeing the consultant for a follow up next month but would be grateful if anyone else has experienced this or has any advice on it ? Thank you

Hi @Doubledose, my leg turned outwards quite significantly after my THR, but it gradually turned back in - now it is slightly turned out, but I am happy with it. I think many people have similar experiences as mine after a THR.
See what your surgeon says in your follow up appointment next month.

Wishing you a smooth recovery!

@Doubledose, my foot is turning in a bit, not out but in the hospital just after surgery the physios said to concentrate on getting it to go straight. I had my first post op physio yesterday and he said the same, it’s up to me to train it to go straight or I will be left with outer thigh pain and lower back ache.

Are you having physio? Maybe they can advise until you see the consultant.

Last edited:
Hi @Doubledose, my leg turned outwards quite significantly after my THR, but it gradually turned back in - now it is slightly turned out, but I am happy with it. I think many people have similar experiences as mine after a THR.
See what your surgeon says in your follow up appointment next month.

Wishing you a smooth recovery!
Thank you very much Boofit that’s reassuring!

Double, Same here, my foot turned outward for a bit, now it's fine, also felt like one leg was a little longer but all parts have seemed to fall into place!

Thank you very much for your feedback this is all very reassuring

Doubledose, I experienced the same. I am not sure about your condition before surgery, but this developed with me as my hip deteriorated. My OS referred to it as external rotation and assured me the surgery would correct it. Well, after surgery I realized my foot was still turning outward slightly just as it was pre-op. I brought it up at my first post op appointment and was reassured it would correct itself as my body adjusted to the new prosthetic...and it did! Try to be patient and I'm guessing the same will happen for you.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!
@Doubledose

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties