THR Sleeping on non operative side after anterior THR?

Messiman

Country
United States United States
I’m getting a left anterior THR in 10 days and can only sleep on my sides. I’ve had 11 back surgeries and sleeping on back is not an option. My surgeon said I could probably sleep on my non operative (right side) with a pillow etc. I’m just very worried about dislocation if I move in my sleep.

Any thought or advice? Thanks!!

@Messiman If you put a pillow between your legs this will prevent your top (op) leg from falling forward and crossing the midline. My colleague @Layla used a body pillow.

Discuss this with the physios while you are in the hospital.

:wave: @Messiman
Are you able to lay in a recliner?
I had anterior bilateral and though I haven't had back surgeries, my bad hips really affected my lower back.
I slept almost exclusively in my recliner for the first month.

Last edited:
Me too! Slept in an electric lift recliner,, rented form a home health supply store nearby.
But will say that my sister just had her anterior THR and is sleeping on her side with a pillow in between her legs.. a thick one.. Some like a body pillow because it will be long enough to keep space between your feet, too.
I think my sister said if she's lucky she can grab about 2 and a half hours to 3 hours at a time.
I didn't even want to try so used the recliner and pillows up beside my face so it felt all snuggly like side lying.

Jaycey, has a good memory. I do love my Body Pillow. It is long enough to place between legs for maximum comfort. I was also a fan of my lift recliner, which I slept in for three weeks post op, every night, all night. I squished soft bed pillows in one side so I felt swaddled like an infant, lol. I found the close confines comforting for some odd reason and knew that it would prevent me from rolling onto my side / incision.

Eleven back surgeries?!! Wow. You are a champ. That had to be difficult. I am sorry you had to experience all of that. Hopefully this will be the end of surgeries for you. Lots of comfort as you await surgery. I hope your recovery is all smooth sailing!
@Messiman

I had both hips done. Anterior RTHR Feb 2014, lateral LTHR Sept 2017. I agree with the others that a body pillow will help keep you in alignment. I have DDD in L3,4 5 so I understand the back issues a little but I have never had back surgery. It's interesting when you need to side sleep to be comfortable. I will say having had both types of hip surgery that side sleeping for me was a lot easier with the anterior style. Hope you have an uneventful recovery.

My revision was 5/18 , posterior approach, and I have slept exclusively in my Lazy-Boy recliner the entire time. I’ve even built up a chair behind the back with pillows to keep it from going too far back. I did the same thing 3 years ago with my original LTHR, anterior approach. Best to you.

Hi, I've had two Anterior Hip Replacements, the most recent being two weeks ago. The booklet given to me at my surgeon's office just talks about laying on your back or non-operative side using pillows to keep feet and ankles elevated above heart. I've been mostly sleeping on my non-operative side with a variety of pillows.
Take Care

@Messiman If you put a pillow between your legs this will prevent your top (op) leg from falling forward and crossing the midline. My colleague @Layla used a body pillow.

Discuss this with the physios while you are in the hospital.
Thanks. Got it I’ve been using a body pillow for a while on my right side. Hopefully surgeon and nurses say it’s ok. Thanks so much!

:wave: @Messiman
Are you able to lay in a recliner?
I had anterior bilateral and though I haven't had back surgeries, my bad hips really affected my lower back.
I slept almost exclusively in my recliner for the first month.
I’m having a recliner delivered tomorrow to sit in. We’ll see if I can sleep on it. It’s very hard to say in one position given my back and neck issues but I may have no choice!

Jaycey, has a good memory. I do love my Body Pillow. It is long enough to place between legs for maximum comfort. I was also a fan of my lift recliner, which I slept in for three weeks post op, every night, all night. I squished soft bed pillows in one side so I felt swaddled like an infant, lol. I found the close confines comforting for some odd reason and knew that it would prevent me from rolling onto my side / incision.

Eleven back surgeries?!! Wow. You are a champ. That had to be difficult. I am sorry you had to experience all of that. Hopefully this will be the end of surgeries for you. Lots of comfort as you await surgery. I hope your recovery is all smooth sailing!
@Messiman
Yes it’s been rough. But I’m actual Lou excited to get the hip done. Get it over with etc. Thanks. And thank you everyone so supportive! Great stuff

Hi, I've had two Anterior Hip Replacements, the most recent being two weeks ago. The booklet given to me at my surgeon's office just talks about laying on your back or non-operative side using pillows to keep feet and ankles elevated above heart. I've been mostly sleeping on my non-operative side with a variety of pillows.
Take Care
Oh good news! Thanks. How you feeling?

Hi Messiman, I'm doing doing a little better every day. This time is easier partly because the left hip hadn't been causing me problems for quite as long. Went out to dinner with some family the other night and had a nice time. When I got home though I was pretty exhausted and my left (operated side) glute and lower back were sore and tired the next day. But all is feeling better today.

Gotta admit that I'm pretty tired of sleeping only on my right side. I don't have your back troubles but I just don't fall and stay asleep easily on my back; it doesn't feel cozy. (I'm a semi-reformed stomach sleeper.)

It's standard to be anxious about things but if your surgeon isn't worried about you dislocating in your sleep you shouldn't be. Good Luck! We'll all keep our eyes peeled for your recovery posts!

Hi Messiman, I'm doing doing a little better every day. This time is easier partly because the left hip hadn't been causing me problems for quite as long. Went out to dinner with some family the other night and had a nice time. When I got home though I was pretty exhausted and my left (operated side) glute and lower back were sore and tired the next day. But all is feeling better today.

Gotta admit that I'm pretty tired of sleeping only on my right side. I don't have your back troubles but I just don't fall and stay asleep easily on my back; it doesn't feel cozy. (I'm a semi-reformed stomach sleeper.)

It's standard to be anxious about things but if your surgeon isn't worried about you dislocating in your sleep you shouldn't be. Good Luck! We'll all keep our eyes peeled for your recovery posts!
Good for you! Out and about. It’s really encouraging to hear things like that. Really can’t express my gratitude for the support on this board. Thank you and keep it up!

Best Wishes tomorrow! We will look forward to supporting you on the flip side so I hope you'll join us there once you're feeling up to it. See you soon!
@Messiman

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl
Recent bookmarks