THR Sleeping is Painful

Brandywinegirl7

Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone!
I am getting my hip replacement in October. Sleeping is a challenge. I have tried Tylenol, Theraworx, and even cbd/thc balm with no relief! Has anyone tried acupuncture or cupping? Any suggestions? If I get three hours I am lucky!

djklaugh

Staff member since December 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Brandywinegirl7 Welcome to BoneSmart! :welome:Alas when a hip is so bad it needs replacing there is very little one can do to control the pain before surgery. Some folks find a little relief with strong pain medication (I took Vicodan which only took a bit of the edge off). I had one friend who used acupuncture before having a knee replacement and she claimed that did help her a lot. Some people find temporary relief with ice packs. It can also help to put a pillow between your knees at night - helps keep hip in one position and reduce pain.

Which hip are you having replaced and what is the exact date for your surgery? We will create a signature for you.

Here also are some BoneSmart articles about things to consider while heading for surgery:

Hip: pre-surgery considerations

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads in stories of amazing hip recoveries

OP
OP
B

Brandywinegirl7

Country
Thanks so much! It’s my left hip on 10/24. I got cortisone shots in June in both hips but the relief on my left only lasted three weeks. I can only sleep on my back - too painful to sleep on my side.
I may try acupuncture. Getting a recliner soon - I sleep better in them because there’s less pain. Sleeping in my bed, my knees and hip/groin area act up after three hours. I bought a variety of pillows too with no help at all.
Looking forward to getting this done but in the meantime learning from all of you, here! Thanks again. ☺️

Eman85

supremo
Country
Sounds like you've tried it all. I did get some relief with my right using pillows. I could roll and then block up my leg so it was supported and keep pressure off of the hip joint to get some relief to be able to sleep.

Zorro

Staff member since April 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Congrats on your upcoming LTHR surgery. In the meantime please maintain as much stability and optimism as possible and come here to the BS forums for perspective and encouragement.

Jexie

Country
I had pain that would wake me up at night and tried everything I could think of to sleep longer in bed. Then one night I decided to try out a our recliner and slept for 5 hours. Didn't go back to bed after that. Hopefully the recliner you are getting works just as well for you.

OP
OP
B

Brandywinegirl7

Country
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and encouragement. Jexie, the recliner I bought is the same one my Mom has and I sleep pretty well in it when I care for her in her home. I am looking forward to it being delivered later this week. It has massage and heat! My doctor cannot give me any other meds, so I am going to hope that as long as I can sleep comfortably, I will be ok until my surgery date! :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
avariciou5
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom