BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Sleeping for England

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Tomgirl, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I read such helpful threads and messages on here thought I'd just ask about my situation.

I'm booked for THR in 51 days time (yes I am counting!) and feel as though I have done everything I possible can dealing with the whole situation. Op booked, pre-assessment early October, attend PT gym sessions 3 times per week, trying not to take too many painkillers, eating sensibly, no alcohol for 4 weeks, practically have my hospital bag packed.

And now just want to sleep for England. So tired. Sleep through the night is disturbed, every time I turn over in bed I wake up - I do get back to sleep but then when it's time to get up I know I could just sleep for hours more.

And yes I sometimes do this, I am still working but for myself so I have control over hours. Seems like I've hit a bit of a plateau and now it's just the waiting game. Is this normal???

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Tomgirl being in constant pain is absolutely exhausting. Then the stress of preparing for the op plus your work - no wonder you are sleeping so much. Sleep when you can - your body needs the rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

Were you told not to do this? Because I've never known it before. In the UK, it's not a thing we generally concern ourselves about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

Josephine - The painkillers I'm referring to are the ones prescribed by my doc 'to help at night with pain' do make me sleepy and it's a fine line when to take them at night. They slow me down the following morning, I do still need to work, and I would not drive early the following morning. I think I've gone past getting any help with pain from over the counter painkillers and creams. There have been lots of reports about the effect of painkillers on the liver. I do still sometimes take painkillers but none are very effective for me and I don't want to take them daily. So it's more of I'll take them when it feels really bad and I will rest also. I'm at the stage of having a nap almost every day, lying down finding a comfortable position for my hip/leg, if I nod off that's fine but I do have to chose my time carefully.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Less than two months and you will be on the road to recovery.:yes!:
    Hang in there....I too hate the groggy after effects of pain meds...
    Sometimes all we can do is what we can do.
    Best wishes, not too much longer now!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

So very true!
    Thanks Mojo, getting closer every day to getting back to my life.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. GrannyC

GrannyC

Although I slept well before my surgery, I found I did get tired more quickly. I am now 5 months postop and besides the wonderful feeling of no more pain, the other big difference I have noticed is that I am far less tired. I just never realized how much the pain was taking out of me. So I bet @Tomgirl once your surgery is over, you, too, will find you have no more OA pain, you will sleep better and you will be far less tired as well. The wait for the surgery seems long but it will all be worth it in the end as you will have your life back! Hang in there and I wish you all the best.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

Thanks GrannyC, it's comforting to know that others have experienced similar problems but are now through it and giving positive reports. Hope it continues to go well for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Susan209

Susan209

Australia Australia
    Hi @Tomgirl We're having surgery the same day. 49 days to go. :happydance:Yes, I'm counting.
    I am like you in that I don't sleep well / much (midnight to 4.30 am last night :tiredwheel:). However, according to my partner, I toss and turn and groan an awful lot, none of which I remember myself. So my 4.5 hours last night probably was quite a bit less. When it's time to get up I just want to roll over and sleep some more... Hardly surprising, really. And come 2 or 3 pm, I'm practically falling asleep at work. :zzz:
    But November 15 is not that far away, so we can do this!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

Hi Susan209, good to hear from you. Your sleep pattern is just as mine, it was 4.40am when I got up this morning after all the waking up every time I turn over. And yes at 7.30 when alarms go, I just want to try and get a bit more sleep. But today did manage my hour at the gym with PT. So pleased with myself when the hour is up. No nap for me today so I think it will be an early night.
    Yes we can and will do this! 7 weeks today. Hope to hear how you are getting along pre-op and post op. There are some really good positive reports from 'post-oppers' on here I think we are in good hands. take care and sleep well.

• Like Like x 3
  11. mystikfairy61

mystikfairy61

@Tomgirl @Susan209 Just want to say hi to you both. I am 17 days out from hip number 2 and can say that I take pain med at 10pm and sleep all night usually waking between 7-8am. The pre op pain and lack of sleep is difficult and takes a toll both physically and emotionally. But getting all of the home prep done for after surgery will help make the time pass and before you know it you will be on the other side and all this bone on bone pain will be behind you and recovery ahead. Best of luck to you both and can't wait to see your first recovery post. We are here for you in the meantime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

Hi Mystikfairy61, and many thanks for your encouraging words. It's good to hear how others have gone through all this. I'm making lists this weekend of everything ( work wise and home wise) that needs to be done in October, then another for November - pre op and post op. In a way I know the next 6 weeks are going to fly by. I'd love to hear how your 17 days have gone. Wishing you best regards.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mystikfairy61

mystikfairy61

@Tomgirl I try to post a tidbit daily about my recovery. If you want to follow it, look in my signature below and go to the left hip post op thread. I think when you make a post it automatically causes you to follow the thread so you get alerts when I post. I won't promise they are witty or funny, I just tell a little about how that day went.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Susan209

Susan209

Australia Australia
    Hi Donna @mystikfairy61, you sound like you are doing really well in your recovery, and thank you for your encouraging words. Oh, to get a full 8 hours of sleep... :alarm: <- Me again last night. :giggle:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

Sleep sleep sleep......in my dreams! Sleeping patterns all over the place. Went for my pre-op today (op is 7th Nov)
    and all seemed well, interesting chat with the nurse who seemed a bit puzzled why my doc prescribed Amitriptyline for me, Nurse thought doc could have prescribed several others of which I seen mentioned on BS. Amitriptyline does give me a better nights sleep but oh has me so sleepy and on another planet the next day. Took one on sunday evening, slept ok but monday was completely wiped out. and I needed to get lots of work done. Otherwise at the pre-op got loads of info about the op, including the shower cream etc but no mention about clean bedlinen for a few nights before. I'll check that out.
    Had more xrays, when finished the nurse said oh you must have one mighty sore hip!
    Only 43 days to go @Susan209 Hope you doing OK?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. EmEm

EmEm

Hi @Tomgirl, I was also prescribed Amitriptyline by my GP who said to take 2 x 10mg 'at bedtime' along with paracodol. Friend who is a Dr and runs a pain clinic was horrified that I was taking the Ami so late. She recommended taking it no later than 8pm which works well for me. By the time I go to bed I am sufficiently relaxed to fall asleep quickly without trying to find a comfortable position. Next morning I don't have any ill effects which as I am also self-employed, has been vital to get a day's work done.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

Thanks for that @EmEm, I have been trying it at different times, and sometimes just taking half a tablet if I think it's too late. Mine are the 10mg too. I can't imagine taking 2 of them. I also don't want to take them every night, and as work commitments can get in the way I have to plan when I will take them. There are advantages and disadvantages to being self employed!! Somehow I know I'm going to have a better sleep tonight - always do after a hospital appointment, it just seems to make it a reality that the hop op is really really happening.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Susan209

Susan209

Australia Australia
    Hi @Tomgirl. I'm :yawn:... I seem to be sleeping less and less lately, but hey, 6 weeks to go. :egypdance:
    I find it interesting you already had your preop checkups so early out. Mine aren't until two weeks before the op date on Nov 1. I have to organize blood tests etc. for before that so I can bring the results along.
    Hope you get some sleep tonight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

Hi @Susan209 I slept soooo well last night, and didn't take any tablets! I'm sure because another hospital visit over and it's all getting nearer. Yesterday was loads of tests - bloods, BP, swaps taken for MRSA, ECG, xray, plus given octenisan for washing with from 2 days prior to op, Gabapentin capsules to take days before op. And a good chat with the nurse. I also have another appointment 2nd November at Physio Dept for info about post op rehab.
    It's all go. Also have now been given times for 15th Nov, have to be at there 11.30am for op sometime between 1.30 and 5pm. Sort of wish it was a morning op but can't be helped. Feeling good today and hopefully will get some work done today - loads to catch up on! but must just take things one day at a time. Hope your sleeping routine improves, everything seems to be out of control till the op I think. Take care.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

oh just remembered some thing I meant to ask...... esp for UK folk..... you know all those aids like the thing to pick up something off the floor and thing to help get socks on etc etc, well do we get anything like these from physio dept or are we supposed to buy them all. Just wondering if I need to start ordering stuff. Thank you.