TKR Sleep issues

I agree with Sisterpat, whatever you do at work is what I like to call “natural PT” and counts just as much, if not more, than what you do in their office. Also, no need to flex as much as you can, you do enough of that in your every day activity.

If it was me, I’d stop going to PT, you’re 3.5 mouths out now and back to work. Come here for support, we’re here for you!

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Crikey, El, on your feet for 10 hours a day, don’t know how you can cope with that at your stage, you are a brave man. You are bound to have a lot of swelling indeed doing that, and a swollen knee just doesn’t bend. Hopefully a new PT will rein you in a bit, just don’t expect too much of yourself or your healing knee so soon in your recovery.

I agree--10 hours on your feet is a lot. When I was back at work, even at 4-5 months I found that my leg stiffened up after being on my feet. I'd be on my feet for about an hour and I'd wind up with that "log leg" feeling.
I think you will need to really rest your knee after work and on the weekends.

Hi Everett, yikes! 10 hours on your feet -- that's tough! I'm also in a position where I have to be on my feet alot, too, but I didn't go back full time in 2016 until about 20 weeks in; I did part-time on foot and part time at desk until then, AND I brought my ice packs with me in a cooler so I could use them whenever i had a break.

I agree with others here, like Jockette who mentions that work is equivalent to PT! You're "working out" by just working, I dare say! I also find my leg swells alot when I'm on it not elevating it, plus the area around the incision hurts more then, too. I'm in a state that allows CBD medicinal use, so I found someone who makes an herbal/CBD salve I use and I apply it anytime I know I'm going to be on my feet alot, or out running errands for a few hours, or driving farther than just errand-like distances. It does really seem to help; I used it this morning before taking a mile+ walk with the poles I use. I'll use some again later before teaching someone to use said poles, too!

So, to get through my work days, I took ice packs, my colleagues knew I had had knee surgery so they made sure I had break times, plus I ended up getting a stool to sit on when I was up front at the register... (it's a retail store). The combo of those adjustments made it workable. This time I'm not working in the store but working from home, so it's been lots easier to heal faster and I have, for certain!

To keep the ice packs cool, I got a cooler that was soft-sided, put two of those ice packs that get hard when frozen in, then my two soft, gel-filled ice packs that each last about 30-40 minutes. That kept them cool enough to do the job.

Hang in there and I'm hoping you have supportive co-workers that don't hassle you about taking care of your new knee! Sending good energy your way!

Last edited:
Update time. I changed PTs Companies. My last PT was all about “no pain, no gain”. Plus they gave up on my rehab process and kept encouraging me to get the MUA. My new PT is all about stretching my quads and massaging to increase knee bends. Today with the stretching exercises and massages, I went from 85 to 100. It’s good to get a different and positive perspective. They believed with their rehab plan, with my home exercise, with get me where I should be, without the need of MUA.

Oh, that IS good news! And just shows that the "No pain, no gain" theory is just that, only a theory, and it doesn't always work out for the patient!

I"m so glad to hear you changed PTs and took good care of yourself!

That is an amazing increase in flexion. Congratulations!

Hi
I am 7 weeks post op (Left TKR) and am still struggling to sleep more tgan 2 hours at a time - . GP prescribed Amitriptyline - i took one before bed - still woke every hour or so and felt like a zombie all tge next day.
any tips would be appreciated

I am not an expert at this, but I slept on my recliner for at 6 months before i could sleep comfortably in my normal bed, Before my six week surgery follow-up I was only using Tylenol for pain. Icing helped tremendously.

Another follow-up. Its been since March 29 for my left knee replacement. My ROM is 107, I am able to ride my stationary bike at lower seat levels. I can see and feel the improvement, but I know I have to get better flexibility.

That bend will improve as time goes on and you heal inside more. Your knee is now at the halfway mark of being healed. That's the average timeframe after this surgery. You will continue to see improvement each month and some days will be great and some not so great. This is all to be expected. Being able to ride your bike at the lower seat level is great. You're headed in the right direction.

My ROM continued to improve well into my second year post op, and even some more in my third!

@elbracey, you are not alone! It saved me back in 2016, as well! So, that’s why I’m here now, giving back… the support here may be virtual, as in not in the same physical space, but those here really do understand. The people here really do care and “get” us!

My knee was a slow one as well @elbracey, it took me a year to get to 120 degrees of flexion. My knee continued to improve throughout my second year, and it's great now. It seems like forever when you are going through it, but just a blip in time once it's in your rear view mirror.

Happy New Years to all. Its been a while since I last did a post. I'm still improving each day. I still have some discomfort in my left knee, but my ROM is better. Its almost like my right knee. My PT is over, so I go to gym for my exercising and bend improvement. Have a great year and be safe.

This is fantastic news and I am really happy for you! Thanks for sharing and giving encouragement to those of us who are slow to regain flexion.

That’s great to hear @elbracey ! I’m 9 months along and mine is back to almost normal too… in my case, walking and playing with our puppy has been great help … only not as predictable as gym equipment, I admit!

Thanks for updating us on your progress. It helps people like me who are struggling see an end to this journey!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom