TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

So glad to hear you and your knees are doing so well.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I agree with the others' comments. Thanks for the update. Glad you are doing so well! For those of us who are just a few weeks outfrom our surgery, you're an inspiration!

TKR 26/1/16

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Always great to read such a good report! Thanks for the update!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Great to hear from you and great to hear you are doing so well. That's brilliant news. I'm struggling a bit (patella tendonitis, very painful, been keeping my thread updated if you're interested) so it is really good to hear from someone who is doing so well. Keep updating us from time to time, please.

Hi @Slainte great to hear your updates! Sounds like things are going really well for you, and that is terrific! I am approaching month 9 and I wish I was as well as you. Tomorrow I will have my second ultrasound guided injection into the IT Band. After 4 weeks if the pain I feel is still there, I will be referred to another surgeon (my OS only does replacements and revisions) and will have arthroscopic clean-out done. Other than that, things are going real well and I am glad I had it done. Just want to get this stupid IT Band straightened out so I can look forward to having 2 new knees like you.

Thank you for checking back in to update us. Well done for your recovery so far!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Having a strong cup of coffee this morning, and reflecting on my two new knees. One is 9 months old, and the other is 6 months old. I am drinking strong coffee because today is a big yard work day, as well as the usual weekend flurry of catching up on chores. My knees limited my incentive to do anything for so long. When every move hurts you stay still. No more! My stamina is growing every day. Just recently I added leg extensions to my gym routine. I started at pretty much zero weight because I was afraid to anger my IT band. Even so, it shimmered a bit for the first week. But now I am upping the weight and my thighs are loving it. The twinge when getting out of a car is almost gone. Still stiff as heck if I forget to get up and move at work. But by the time I walk into the next room I am fine. Just now starting to walk up and down the stairs at work. I hold on to the bannister on both sides for dear life, and try to stand up straight and go up and down properly. You don't want to be behind me on the stairs. I am so slow. I hope I will be able to do stairs like a normal person some day. My fused ankle is a factor there, but I used to be able to accommodate it. Will work on it. My knees are so small now. I can see my kneecaps. You don't realize how much swelling arthritis causes until it is gone. So yes, this is a long recovery, and I am glad to know that I have more improvement to look forward to. But honestly, if this is as good as it gets, I am pretty satisfied. I was walking across the parking lot toward a store with my husband and he said "It's pretty embarrassing when I can't keep up with someone who has had both knees replaced!" :heehee: Life is good.

What a wonderful report. It's very helpful to those of us early in recovery to hear how our lives can be as we continue to heal. I hope to get there to one day.

Good to hear from you @Slainte and how glad to know that you have had such a great outcome. Like Raffs and catsmum I am still struggling, knee 1 was pretty good until knee 2, after which I had a nasty UTI and spent 5 months on antibiotics during which I lost over 20 lbs weight, which is an awful lot for my height and weight. Consequently I now have muscle problems in both legs, and although at last they do seem to be resolving I do find long walks and standing extremely painful and still have to take pain meds. I shall think of you and know that one day I shall be pain free. I can however go up and down stairs, and have used an escalator, although like you I was nervous about it.

@Slainte, woohoo for you. You have been an inspiration to me from day 1. I'm still having some pain around my knee, but it's not too bad. Like you, I have some foot problems that are hindering me more than the knee. I try and go to the gym at least 3 times a week doing 45 minutes on the bike. I've been binge watching tv shows on Netflix with my iPhone. Keeps me glued to the bike for the full 45 minutes!

@Swish Like you I am having pain around my knee, have you any idea what the cause is? When I was earlier in recovery around the knee was OK.

Well great report glad you are doing well.

Great report!! Thank you for your kind words and support on my thread. You are doing so well, can't wait to post my success story and hopefully encourage others.

Number one knee was a year old last Saturday. I meant to post on the anniversary, but was too busy hunting pokemon. That is one game that gets you out and about. I went kayaking madly in May, and had no trouble getting in and out. I can walk anywhere, for about as far as I want. I went to Savannah in June and walked all over that town. Stairs are still a challenge for me, but my son was following me up a couple of flights of stairs last week and commented on how much better I was doing. So I guess improvement is happening there, too. I will be going next Monday for my official one-year checkup, and will be interested to see the x-rays. Number two knee still does not bend quite as far as its sister knee, but lately I have been concentrating on gentle heel slides and I notice that getting out of a car in a narrow space (when that car next to you is a little too close, and you have to exit from a door that is barely cracked open wide enough to squeeze your body through - you know what I mean) does not hurt anymore. Having to bend that left knee that extra bit used to be quite a twinge, but all good now. Still stiff when I get up from sitting for too long, but I can mask it pretty well. I am getting a new kayak in September and am outfitting it with a sail and little blow-up pontoons. The alligators will be laughing at me! I am so glad I have new knees. And my active life back. There is such joy in rediscovering the world. My niece and great-nephews were visiting over the last couple of days, and they kept asking me if we were doing too much, as we walked in the city park at night (yes, hunting pokemon). I realized the accommodations they had made for me over the past few years, as I walked slowly, and sat at every bench. Glad to be able to play at their level again. Hugs to all my bone-smart buddies. Hope you are all doing well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back