TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

Slainte

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I have scrubbed down with the hibiclens, donned clean and comfy pajamas, and am about to slide between some clean sheets. When I repeat the hibiclens wash in the morning I am going to be a tad more careful around my eyes. Man, that stuff smarts! I have to be at the hospital at 7:30am for a 9:30am procedure. I will try to pay attention and report back from the front, but if I am not wearing contacts or glasses it is one big blur. Wish me luck! Thanks, guys!

Eh, tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow, you're only a day away ...

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

In readiness for your return, here's your recovery reading ...

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Best wishes for tomorrow!

Good luck. See ya on the other side.

FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015

Made it to the pre-op area, where they told me to strip down and gave me packets containing six big soft wipes. More antibacterial stuff. I had to use one wipe for each arm and each leg, and one for my front and my back. Then I was told to write the word "yes" above the knee in question. Nurse had to start my IV in my hand, as my arm veins were closed for repairs, apparently.
Anesthesiologist started my nerve block.I was given some mellow meds through the IV, and a nice lady washed my knee. The OS stopped by and marked the knee as well. Then it was off to the races. I was aware of what was going on a lot more than I thought I would be. They did not have to insert anything in my throat to keep me breathing well - instead the anesthesiologist would just tell me to breathe deeply from time to time. I felt the vibrations from them moving my leg around, and some tiny jackhammer action. No pain whatsoever. When the deed was done (about two hours later) they rolled me into recovery and were super responsive to my increasing pain. It never got too bad, as they hit me with a couple of rounds of dilaudid, followed by some Robaxin, which is a muscle relaxer. They put me in a cpm machine (max bend 60 degrees) while an electric cryo cuff keeping things chill. That did the trick until they got me up to my room.

My poor roommate had rods put in her legs - they just wheeled her up from recovery, and from the sounds of it, she is at about a pain level 9. Her nurse is busily finding the right med cocktail for her, but I feel so sorry for her.

In my room, I was given 2 percoset and 1 Vistiril. They took my order for dinner (it was 5pm by this time), and for breakfast. I ordered liquid foods, including a cup of coffee, as I drink so much coffee I sometimes get a headache if I don't take it. The nurse wrote on a dry erase board that my next meds were available at 7:30pm. I set the alarm on my watch and asked for them at 7:15. The nurse then made the med dispense required rather than requested, and I made sure she knew to wake me up for the 3:30am dose. I will set my clock to be sure.
After I ate (zero nausea, btw - thank you God) I slept great for a while until the pain woke me. It really wasn't too bad, just when the CPM machine hit the fully extended point it hurt the back of my knee a bit, gradually getting worse. The nerve block doesn't reach the back of the knee. I got the percoset and Vistiril again, and will get Robaxin in my IV with my next dose at 11:30. No PT today. Will start tomorrow. I hope that won't be until after I get the Foley catheter out. Love that catheter. So far, really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they putting ice on your knee? If so ask them for an ice pack for the back of your knee. My nurses were surprised I asked for this. When I told them that's an important part to ice they appreciated the tip.

Good to hear you made it to the other side and the pain isn't too bad. I think they do all surgical IVs in hands, that's where both if mine were. Wow, you were somewhat aware of what was going on in the OR?

Hi @Slainte I am so happy you are in the other side!!!!! Much congrats!! I hope everything goes smoothly for you!!! I don't know if I could be aware...... we shall see. I imagine BTKR they will put me out......... gosh I hope so...... less than a week for me!!!!! Keep posting I want to know it all!!

Diddo... I want to hear also. I'm ok with watching the videos, but I don't know about my own !
Have a good tommorrow

I'm sure it is because of the meds, but I keep seeing people moving around my room. I expect to see the nurse, but when I look up, no one is there. I do get a comforting vibe. I have decided to believe that they are my personal angels - family like my father and beloved aunts, uncles, and grandparents who have passed away and are stopping by to check on me.

Good to hear you made it to the other side and the pain isn't too bad. I think they do all surgical IVs in hands, that's where both if mine were. Wow, you were somewhat aware of what was going on in the OR?

She tried to put the IV on the inside of my elbow at first. Lemme tell you, I am so glad that failed. I prop myself up on my elbows to reposition, and that would have been hard with an IV on their interior.

They put the IV wherever they can find the best vein. They need one that won't be disturbed too much as you move around.

Everything going ok.My roommate had a very painful night, and managed to rip out her IV. Lots of blood, and after a couple of nurses were unable to get a new one going, the IV team was brought in. All this happened about 3am, so I was awake to request my 3:30am meds. I don't really hurt too much. I wore the motorized cryo cuff and had my leg in the CPM machine all night long. The nurse asked me about 11pm if I wanted a break from it, but I find it comforting in an odd way. When the pain meds start to wear off it feels a little ouchy at full extension. My primary care doctor, god love him, came to see me at 11:30 last night. My OS requires a hematocrit check every day, and for some reason the blood draw for this had to happen at 4am. The nurse gave me something in my IV around 5am. Busy night.

I always ask for my meds on time even though I don't hurt. They gave me a stool softener last night. I almost refused it, but then thought back over the threads where constipation was a problem, and took it. I slept well, considering my moaning roommate. Earplugs helped. Mask helped, too. Just had my catheter removed, and I am looking forward to getting out of this hospital gown and into a robe, breakfast (ordered hot tea, oatmeal, yogurt and a banana - yum), and PT, in that order. They are trying to move me into a private room. Fingers crossed on that one!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back