TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

We two girls use a blowup kayak that seats us both comfortably. I can sit with my legs stretched out, which is a must! The only way I've been able to get out of the kayak is to be in thy high water and scoot over the side of it into the water. Maybe one day my knees will be strong enough to get out on dry land! I haven't been since last summer. I have reservations in September at a state park that has a river that we use and lots of geocashing. I pay I'll be able to do both my then.

I am so glad you are back to kayaking! Yay!!!!!! I remember talking to you about that months ago. I have not yet gotten in a kayak myself yet, but when I am at a lake where there are Kayakers, I start to visualize getting in and out of one. It is coming!

This is such great report, specially for those of us still struggling with recovery, thank you :goodpost:

Saw my OS on Monday, x-rays are great and he says to contact him if I have any problems. I told him that I hope I don't see him for a really long time. He laughed and said he totally understood.
In other news, I finally got to meet a bonesmart buddy in person! Had lunch with @celynda this week. Had a great chat and enjoyed it very much.
To those of you who are 3 months out, 6 months out... hang in there. It really just keeps getting better and better. I am heading out to Disney Springs one evening this week to search for pokemon with my sister and a great nephew or two. A year ago I was hobbling around with a walker, wishing I could just get some decent sleep and wondering if it was time for my next pain pill. What a difference a year makes. Best wishes to all!

What a great report. It took me back. At this time last year I was 10 days post-op and yup all I cared about was the next pain pill and graduating to the cane. Life is so much better today. Patience to all in early recovery Slainte is right, it gets much better with each passing week.

Hello Bonesmart buddies! My OS sent me a questionnaire to fill out evaluating my knee and I realize my second knee is two years old today. It seems longer ago than that. I spent my 60th birthday last weekend kayaking on the beautiful Rainbow River here in Florida. Hurricane IRMA tossed lots of trees around, but the river was in fine shape. My kayak has peddles, and I tied 3 inner tubes to the rear and pulled my husband and two of my twenty-something children for three hours. It is a fast-flowing river, and it was a pleasure to scoot along.
I wish everyone had the excellent results I have been blessed with. I don't stress my knees. And they don't stress me. I try to keep the supporting muscles exercised. The only time I feel uncertain about them is when I forget and kneel. It doesn't hurt, but it feels so odd and I am afraid I will damage them. I hope they will last me the rest of my life. I think about the wonderful engineering that went in to creating them, and am aware that they are not something my body can heal if they are injured. So I take good care of them. And feel so grateful to be able to be active without pain. I know there are people out there who are hurting tonight. Who wonder if they will ever get a good night's sleep again. Who need the pain killers but are constipated and worry if it is ok to take the opioids. Who have a lot of people giving them advice, and pushing them too hard. This forum tells the truth. We have been through it. Take the meds. Don't let PT hurt. Go slow and steady. Oh, and do not believe them when they say that your flexion will improve for only so long. It took a really long time for my left knee to bend as much as my right knee. I had forgotten about it, in fact, but just tested it and it is very close. Hugs to all.

Thank you for that inspiring and encouraging post! I am 6 months post op with a partial and at times it seems way longer than that since I had this surgery. Thank you for also being another voice to say rom will continue to improve way over a year and more. Mine is coming along so slow.

Best wishes to you as you enjoy your new knees!

So good to hear from you! Isn't it wonderful to look back on where we were 2 yrs ago and realize the progress?
I'm happy to have #2 behind me and looking forward to enjoying “normal” life with 2 new knees. We are already planning a beach trip with Grands as soon as school is out next year and perhaps a return trip to Tuscany next Oct! Ahhhhh....life after TKR! Yes!
Hugs back to you!

What a wonderful report, and how I envy your lack of pain. My knees are pretty much perfect, but oh the muscle problems I am having. On my Doctor's advice, I started on Alendronic Acid a year ago, as a bone scan showed I had just tipped over the line into osteoporosis. I was very reluctant as the leaflet said it could affect muscles and ligaments, and boy it has. A year later I am still stiff and in pain from them. I have weekly chiropractic treatment and as many massages as I can fit in. The drug also made my epilepsy worse, and I have had to have my drugs changed 6 times and cannot now swim or ride my bike. I can still dance if my muscles will let me, otherwise walking is my only exercise and that can be painful. I vary now from day to, last Friday I was pain free, Saturday all my muscles hurt. Today not so bad again. I am doing lots of stretches and other exercises. Still I am very pleased for you, last year I was doing just as well.

What a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing it with us! I'm looking forward to a normal life with my new knees and wondering how much I can hope to do with them. Kayaking would be fun! I just love your philosophy of easy-does-it.

I know there are people out there who are hurting tonight. Who wonder if they will ever get a good night's sleep again. Who need the pain killers but are constipated and worry if it is ok to take the opioids. Who have a lot of people giving them advice, and pushing them too hard. This forum tells the truth. We have been through it. Take the meds. Don't let PT hurt. Go slow and steady. Oh, and do not believe them when they say that your flexion will improve for only so long.

Your words are so encouraging and needed. Thank you.

Slainte, your recovery and use of both knees has been remarkable and I'm very glad for you. It was a tough journey for you. I'm still on my journey after my bilateral 3 years ago. I didn't listen and let PT push me so that I've suffered with constant bursitis/tendonitis (depending on the OS). My newest OS referred me to someone who does revisions but I've found someone who specializes in both TKR's and sports med/runner's knee. I've been told there is no surgery to fix tendons but we'll see what he says. Another good reason not to let PT push you. Both of my knees were perfect and I had made all my numbers before they kept pushing.

Good to hear from you, Slainte, and so good to hear your knees are allowing you to enjoy life again!

Hi :wave:Slainte!

What a wonderful update. Two years ago we were both rehabbing our knees.

Look at you now!! You go girl!!!!

Great to hear how well your wonderful new knees are doing! I feel like these things are almost miracles!

A friend's knees are severely limiting her activity and she is agonizing over enduring the pain or taking the plunge for replacement. I told her about how much this site helped me through the journey of two knee replacements almost 4 years ago. Thought I would stop by to say hello, and to thank everyone again for their support and sympathy as we all worked our way back to our new normal. I can read my story here, and know it was no walk in the park, but I really don't remember the pain or the recovery process. Seeing my friend hurt after stressing her knees brings back memories, and I feel so lucky to have been able to replace my knees and totally lose that pain. Good luck to all who are still in recovery. May you all have the same good fortune as I. Hugs!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back