THR Skin boils

Jason11

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone, I am looking at getting hip surgery sometime this year. My question , I periodically get skin boils. They clear up on their own, but there has been two times I had to get them drained and get antibiotics. One time about 2 years ago , another about 5 or 6 years ago. I asked the hip surgeon about this, and even pushed it,and asked multiple times.

at first he told me I would be fine, but I pushed the question, and asked him if I would have to get an antibiotic every time I go to skin boil. I really did not get a firm answer, so I am hoping to get a good answer from here. Any thoughts ?

@Jason11 Welcome to BoneSmart :welome: Do you have a dermatologist or primary care physician you go to about the boils? If yes that physician probably would be better able to answer your question. I am not a physician or nurse but just off the top of my head I'd guess that for at least the first year after you have hip surgery you would be wise to get antibiotics with any boil. Has any physician ever found out why you get these boils? Allergies? Contact dermatitis? Or??? It might be a good idea for you to explore that to see if there is anything you can do to prevent getting the boils.

Wow! I hadn't thought about or had a boil for quite some time. I had a lot of them years back and really never thought about asking my OS of the chances of that causing a problem. I'd be interested to see what the thought are on boils too.

Hello and welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I am not a medical professional, but the first thing I’d look at is diet and ramping up my immune system since boils are infections. Hopefully doing so will ward off further infections.

Let us know once you have your surgery scheduled and we’ll create a signature for you. We’ll also answer questions, offer advice when we’re able and support your journey from start to finish. Stay in touch and have a great weekend!

Following is some pre-op information you may find interesting as you contemplate all -

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

My OS told me to call his office for antibiotics for dental procedures to include cleanings and for any procedures on or breaking my skin, like skin biopsies. That's because some bacteria are good at invading and can cause systemic infections.
If you know which bug caused your boils, it might help your OS to help you. It might be worth it to get a culture and sensitivity done next time you get a boil, if you don't know which bug.

Hello and thank you all for the nice welcome. I have asked my PCP about the boils, and he did not seem too concerned about me having them. As luck would have it I also asked a retired surgeon i met at the health club I go to, and he told me, as long as I did not have a boil during the hip surgery, he thought it would be ok.

So when I asked the hip surgeon , he did not give me a decisive answer , about the boils. I did push the question, as was not satisfied with the answer. I plan to see at least 2 more doctors, one of them another hip surgeon, and see if I can get a good answer I can live with.

I know about going to the dentist and mouth infections, I have been looking through the internet and as I can see it , this problem of skin boils, and hip surgery is not addressed, which maybe a good thing.

So much to think about, Thanks for letting me join this website.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back