THR Right THR rescheduled

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannygirl

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello I am waiting for right THR but no date yet. I love skiing and would like to continue after surgery (when healed!). Is there any advice about this?

We get asked this question very often. In most cases the answer is yes, you can return to skiing. What you will need to be careful about is falling - especially when you first start this activity again. And most important you must be fully healed before attempting skiing again.

Talk to your surgeon about this. They will use an implant most suited for an active lifestyle.

I guess a lot depends on you and what your OS says. I'd say it would put you in jeopardy of screwing up all of the work your surgeon did, just have to decide if it's worth the risk.

Definitely discuss this with your surgeon. Surgeons actually appreciate learning about our goals ... Sharing your goals after surgery establishes your individuality with the surgeon. And you get real feedback.

Most surgeons these days are forbidding less and less. I sense surgeons think that if a particular activity is important to our wellbeing, then engaging in that activity is good for us. I got the surgery with the goal of dancing and running afterwards. My surgeon endorsed both of those goals.

One of our former staff members went back to skiing successfully after having both her knees replaced. She worked as a ski instructor.
She didn't rush back into it, but waited until her knees were completely healed and her muscles were strong again.

All the best and healing mojo coming your way @Anniec19

I’ve finally been diagnosed with this medial pole arthritis in my right hip which, because it presents differently to average osteoarthritis in the hip, has been dismissed as pain from the back. Finally this week, I got a surgeon (privately) who knew what he was looking and rapidly made the diagnosis for but over the last decade, I’ve been fobbed off. I’ve been putting extra pressure on the left side where I had a TKR exactly 2 years ago. I will have months to wait for surgery. This is the NHS in the UK. Is there any information or advice about this kind of issue?

So sorry for your frustration and mis diagnosis. I am not in the UK but it seems to be very common to misdiagnose hip issues with back issues. I spent about a year with spine injections and PT that was painful as well as chiropractic treatments for my back when it was my left hip all along. From reading here it seems to happen a lot with back/hip issues. I then had to wait for my surgery since I wanted the surgeon who successfully did both of my knees and he is very good and very busy. I believe I had to wait about 5m. It was not easy so I understand your feelings and frustration in wanting to get to recovery.

All I can offer is to spend that time trying not to aggravate your hip, use a cane and lots of rest. Ask for any anti inflammatories that might decrease the pain a bit - nothing really takes it away. I found Arthritis Tylenol helped a bit if I took it regularly. It is not easy to wait for relief. I hope they get you a surgery date soon so at least you have a date to focus on for relief.

@cannygirl I had the same experience having my left hip pain being diagnosed as spinal issues. It is very frustrating and debilitating!

From what we have discussed here, your arthritis is in a different area of the joint. But the issues are the same as with any OA patient - pain and many times pelvic tilt.

All I can suggest is to get yourself a cane or crutch and try and keep the weight off that side as much as you can. I did use a TENs when I was waiting for my LTHR. It takes the edge off but unfortunately there are really no solutions for bone on bone pain.

Do you know which hospital you will have your surgery in? Have you looked up the wait times? It is a tough time here in the UK for anyone waiting for "elective" surgery. You certainly have my sympathy!

Thank you very much for both these encouraging responses. Here in Scotland, we are doing better with A&E but waiting lists for elective hips are 6-9 months. My problem is that I NEED good exercise for my overall health and weight. Actually I tend to often have delayed pain response to exercise. I get pain on weight bearing - going upstairs, striding as opposed to strolling. I’m putting too much pressure on my left side now.

It sounds as if your best plan would be to concentrate on upper-body exercises, and avoid exercise that puts demands on your legs.

My initial visit to a surgeon, was very encouraging. He has done THR on a number of skiers one of whom is a professional!

I am 17 years years post op, I am not a skier but have done a lot of climbing, rock, waterfall ice climbing and general mountaineering, I have climbed mountains in Peru including Huascaran, so I have no doubt you can partake in your activity, I have also fallen and landed in acquired positions and never have had a problem, but with somethings people can be different.

I am not a skier but after my surgery I asked about restrictions and my OS said no bungee jumping. That was it. While restrictions may vary from one person to the next, I really think you will have no problem going back to skiing once you are totally healed. It sounds like you’ve already talked to your OS about this so that is good. I’m sure you’ll do just fine and be back on the slopes before you know it. Sending good wishes your way!

I have just come back from a week's skiing in Austria just over one year post-OP. I was a bit wobbly on day 1 and fine after that - happy on reds and blacks and blasted down one run of 2k descent and over 10k length.

The quad in my op leg was burning at times showing that I am still not back to full strength. Also took one tumble on a steepish red and found it took much longer to get back up than before!

I skied well within my limits to reduce the risk of a bad fall and avoided more crowded slopes. And no off-piste.

My OS had said I could ski last season - ie 5 months post op. I probably could have but I dont think it would have been wise as I still had a lot of strength to regain and would have tried easily. I think a year post op was about right for me.

Good luck.

I'm so sorry that I read you are delayed due to the current health crisis.
Hang in there...stay as healthy as possible.

Much sympathy here.:console2:

Hello, my surgery is finally rescheduled for April 27 2021

I have been waiting since 2018 and been pushed from 'pillar to post'. I finally gave up waiting on the NHS and booked to go privately - scheduled for April 2020 but this was cancelled due to covid. Now finally I can start to see daylight but my mobility has reduced and my muscle tone reduced and my weight increased.
Is there anything I can /should do in the 3 weeks I now have?

@cannygirl Great that you finally have a date! There is really not much you can do in 3 weeks. Focus on preparing your recovery area of your house. Perhaps freezing small meals and purchasing favourite snacks and drinks.

Most importantly, chill out and know that you are finally on your way!

Thank you - will do that
How do I register on the April group for surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties