• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR Skiing after THR

cannygirl

LTKR December 11, 2017
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello I am waiting for right THR but no date yet. I love skiing and would like to continue after surgery (when healed!). Is there any advice about this?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
We get asked this question very often. In most cases the answer is yes, you can return to skiing. What you will need to be careful about is falling - especially when you first start this activity again. And most important you must be fully healed before attempting skiing again.

Talk to your surgeon about this. They will use an implant most suited for an active lifestyle.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I guess a lot depends on you and what your OS says. I'd say it would put you in jeopardy of screwing up all of the work your surgeon did, just have to decide if it's worth the risk.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Definitely discuss this with your surgeon. Surgeons actually appreciate learning about our goals ... Sharing your goals after surgery establishes your individuality with the surgeon. And you get real feedback.

Most surgeons these days are forbidding less and less. I sense surgeons think that if a particular activity is important to our wellbeing, then engaging in that activity is good for us. I got the surgery with the goal of dancing and running afterwards. My surgeon endorsed both of those goals.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
One of our former staff members went back to skiing successfully after having both her knees replaced. She worked as a ski instructor.
She didn't rush back into it, but waited until her knees were completely healed and her muscles were strong again.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
All the best and healing mojo coming your way @Anniec19

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member