TKR ski_bum's Recovery Thread

I need help Please. I might be crazy but I'm not stupid, well at least I don't think so, lol.

I had right TKR June 10, 2021. Booked for second knee mid Sept. but a little hesitant.

I have clicked where it says follow on others which is of interest to me and my recovery including Sisterpat.
I don't get any update or new notices.
Often I go to the Home site and wonder through sometimes find several new posts and find very interesting.
Could someone please give me a little help?
Thank you in advance.

I’m sorry you’re having trouble finding the threads you want to read. To be honest, I’m not sure what happens when we “follow” someone, as I don’t follow anyone. Are you supposed to get an alert when they post on their thread? Have you gotten alerts in the past?

What I do is “watch” a thread, you have that option at the top of the thread, to the right side of the thread title. I do get alerts from that, though not always. You might try that and see if it works better.

I moved your post asking this question to your own thread, as it would have taken flutter’s thread off topic, which is about her recovery. Any time you have a general question it’s better to come to your thread to ask it. :flwrysmile:

@ski_bum ...... I checked the preferences in your account and you are supposed to be receiving an email alert when someone posts to one of the threads you are watching. I saw you were watching 3 threads, so I know you are setting them up correctly.

What may be happening, is the email alerts may be going to your spam or junk folder. You can also check your watched threads either by clicking on the WATCH link in the blue tool bar or clicking on the bell in the tool bar when it has a little red number beside it. That red number means you have new alerts to your watched threads.

ski_bum, can you tell me why you are hesitant about getting the 2nd knee replaced?

ski_bum, can you tell me why you are hesitant about getting the 2nd knee replaced?
I saw where you were having you second knee done 6 or 8 weeks a part.
My surgeon wanted to wait 6 Months so I told him about you so he said 4 Months.

I downhill ski over a 100 days a season and I'm concerned waiting till late Sept. or Oct. I won't be able to ski. We have a Condo on the ski hill and can't see me in the Condo icing my knees while my beautiful wife is out skiing.
As it is skiing will be different this coming season.
I ski with many guys that have had knees replaced, some skied in 6 months, others 1 year.
Thanks for asking.

Well, that’s a dilemma for you...I wish I could advise you, but only you can answer that question as to when to replace the 2nd knee. I didn’t have any particular goals - just to be out of pain, and for me, that was the sooner the better. I’ll pray you make the right decision.

@ski_bum ...... I checked the preferences in your account and you are supposed to be receiving an email alert when someone posts to one of the threads you are watching. I saw you were watching 3 threads, so I know you are setting them up correctly.

What may be happening, is the email alerts may be going to your spam or junk folder. You can also check your watched threads either by clicking on the WATCH link in the blue tool bar or clicking on the bell in the tool bar when it has a little red number beside it. That red number means you have new alerts to your watched threads.
Thank you so much. I have 3 watch by accident, lol.
I will keep trying

Here is the screen shot I intended to leave for you, @ski_bum, that shows the two places you can click on to check watched threads. When I did your post, I couldn't get the image to paste. Turned out my Windows needed an update. Once that was done, the snip app works again. Computers can make a person crazy! :banghead:

1627964662119.png

Here is the screen shot I intended to leave for you, @ski_bum, that shows the two places you can click on to check watched threads. When I did your post, I couldn't get the image to paste. Turned out my Windows needed an update. Once that was done, the snip app works again. Computers can make a person crazy! :banghead:

1627964662119.png
Thank you.

Just catching up on this. I totally understand lack of sleep and so many challenges. My LKR was June 9th. I have back issues and can't sleep on my back well, just starting to sleep better. I took a course of melatonin and it helped me. Off them now but sleeping better, though toss and turn, do some side sleeping I found a pillow under or between my knees helps. Best of luck

11 weeks out, ended PT yesterday. 130 ROM.
I had some pain under knee cap after walking down an incline.
Saw OS and had x-rays. All okay. Next visit 4 months.
I stopped all Meds Jul 14th. because PT wanted to work into pain and I was happy with my progress, until today.
I have had 11 weeks with only 1 full nights sleep in bed, so the family room watching TV, snoozing on the couch.
So I decide to clean up my untidy temporary resting area. Did not notice my wife's wedding rings on the coffee table.
As I was vacuuming I heard a clunk in the Power Head. Then my wife asked for her rings, found only the band. It went down hill from there.
Opened the Vacuum Canister, no ring. Short story, my wife googled how to find a ring in piping of a built in vacuum.
Suggestion was to suck a small sock through the piping. First outlet that I had been connected into, sucked the sock through into canister but no Ring. So tired another outlet. Sock suck in even faster, no sock or Ring in canister.
Tried everything possible before working off a 12' ladder for 4 hrs. cut tubing open tried pushing a electrical fish tape through the tube with no success. Finally quit for the day, not only was the knee painful, I was beat. I thought I had recovered surgery, NO! I had to take some meds. Tomorrow will try again.
If no luck, I will give her a new ring for our 50th. Anniversary in Nov.

Sorry to hear about your wife's ring!! Any luck finding it?

I’m so sorry you had such a stressful day and I’m sure all that stress and work upset your young knee. It’s amazing how easily things can go wrong.

My husband lost his wedding ring shortly before our 5th anniversary. He was away on a business trip and joined some guys playing softball one evening, and his ring came off one of the times he took the glove off. They spent an hour looking for it and gave up. I often wonder if anyone ever found it in the last 40 years! We chose not to replace it, he never really liked wearing it, he worked with paint, so he didn’t wear it when he worked, he took it off to play sports (except that night) I always told him he was going to lose it, by taking it off so often, so he’s lucky he lost it while wearing it! :heehee: We were young and not rich, so there didn’t seem much point in spending money for another one that he would only wear on occasion. I decided I’d rather have a good marriage and no ring, as compared to the opposite, though I’m always a bit sad at a wedding when they do the ring part. Oh well, life is not perfect.

@ski_bum By the way, I moved this post to your recovery thread, all you did trying to find the ring, and the resulting effect on your knee, is part of your recovery story.

I hope this has a happy ending for you and your wife. :roseshwr:

11 weeks out, ended PT yesterday. 130 ROM.
I had some pain under knee cap after walking down an incline.
Saw OS and had x-rays. All okay. Next visit 4 months.
I stopped all Meds Jul 14th. because PT wanted to work into pain and I was happy with my progress, until today.
I have had 11 weeks with only 1 full nights sleep in bed, so the family room watching TV, snoozing on the couch.
So I decide to clean up my untidy temporary resting area. Did not notice my wife's wedding rings on the coffee table.
As I was vacuuming I heard a clunk in the Power Head. Then my wife asked for her rings, found only the band. It went down hill from there.
Opened the Vacuum Canister, no ring. Short story, my wife googled how to find a ring in piping of a built in vacuum.
Suggestion was to suck a small sock through the piping. First outlet that I had been connected into, sucked the sock through into canister but no Ring. So tired another outlet. Sock suck in even faster, no sock or Ring in canister.
Tried everything possible before working off a 12' ladder for 4 hrs. cut tubing open tried pushing a electrical fish tape through the tube with no success. Finally quit for the day, not only was the knee painful, I was beat. I thought I had recovered surgery, NO! I had to take some meds. Tomorrow will try again.
If no luck, I will give her a new ring for our 50th. Anniversary in Nov.
Update, A very hard day, end of story The ring after a lot of trying different things & ways, ended in the Cannister, Thank you everyone.

I’m so sorry you had such a stressful day and I’m sure all that stress and work upset your young knee. It’s amazing how easily things can go wrong.

My husband lost his wedding ring shortly before our 5th anniversary. He was away on a business trip and joined some guys playing softball one evening, and his ring came off one of the times he took the glove off. They spent an hour looking for it and gave up. I often wonder if anyone ever found it in the last 40 years! We chose not to replace it, he never really liked wearing it, he worked with paint, so he didn’t wear it when he worked, he took it off to play sports (except that night) I always told him he was going to lose it, by taking it off so often, so he’s lucky he lost it while wearing it! :heehee: We were young and not rich, so there didn’t seem much point in spending money for another one that he would only wear on occasion. I decided I’d rather have a good marriage and no ring, as compared to the opposite, though I’m always a bit sad at a wedding when they do the ring part. Oh well, life is not perfect.

@ski_bum By the way, I moved this post to your recovery thread, all you did trying to find the ring, and the resulting effect on your knee, is part of your recovery story.

I hope this has a happy ending for you and your wife. :roseshwr:
Update, A very hard day, end of story The ring after a lot of trying different things & ways, ended in the Cannister, Thank you everyone.

Well, that’s a dilemma for you...I wish I could advise you, but only you can answer that question as to when to replace the 2nd knee. I didn’t have any particular goals - just to be out of pain, and for me, that was the sooner the better. I’ll pray you make the right decision.
11 weeks out I have cancelled my second left knee replacement for Oct., asked to reschedule for Late March, early April. Hospital keeps cancelling surgeries due to Covid and the numbers are climbing again.
I still have more days uncomfortable with replaced knee than left knee.
Will post when second knee is done. Thanks.

Let's hope there is a better handle on Covid by then. Your right knee should be in good shape by the time of your next surgery.

I am 16 weeks out and just put on my ski boot for the first time. Marched around the house it felt pretty good until I took it off then
That was uncomfortable.
i think your decision to cancel surgery till next spring is a good one. Realistically, I don’t think that right now at four months, I could ski.

I am having lite pain under my knee cap, sometimes right side of my outside of my knee when doing exercises and walking.
I research my OS reports and saw the type of surgery on my knee. Tried to google but to deep.
I will make an appointment with OS to explain and see if that's why I have the pain.
That pain also wakes me when I turn on my side. Sleepless after 13 weeks.
Any help please.

PROCEDURE
Right total knee arthroplasty using Triathlon knee, 5 femur, 6 tibia, 9 mm polyethylene liner, standard distal femoral
resection at 7 degrees.
SUMMARY
Under spinal anesthetic, the patient in the supine position, right knee prepped and draped in sterile fashion. After
standard approach with central midline incision, medial parapatellar arthrotomy, we drilled a distal hole in the femur, and
7-degree standard distal femoral resection was performed. I then used the external tibial alignment jig for the tibial cut,
following which we balanced the knee in extension. Flexion gap was then reproduced, and the knee was sized to 5. A 5-
in-1 block was then placed on, and we performed the chamfer cuts. Then, we used the sizing jig for the tibia, chose a 6
mm tibial tray, and performed final cuts. Following this, we placed a 9 mm polyethylene and confirmed patellar tracking.
A lateral retinacular release was required to improve this. At this point, the temporary components were removed out,
and we pulse lavaged the knee, following which we implanted the final components in. After impaction of the

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back