Skeet, I wasn't kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

alpha
Country
United States United States
Just in case you all thought I was crazy awhile back when I mentioned this major event.

ai28.tinypic.com_10i9axi.jpg

Apparently worm gruntin' isn't celebrated everywhere. Surprised me.

The soil here is such hard clay when we SEE a worm we give 'em a medal!

Doug, explain again what the Worm Gruntin' Festival is all about if you can. I'm sure it's somewhere in a thread, but I missed it. Sounds like a truly amazing time! Here in the Midwest we have a strange one in June. At Lake of the Ozarks where we have a cabin, there is a Testical Festival - HONEST --- complete with billboards to announce it. It's a big fry-up of "Rocky Mountain Oysters," carnivals, booths, and dancing. It is a big deal down at the lake. As you can imagine from the name of the festival, the t-shirts are a sellout every year.

Gotta check out the Oregon Slug Festival in Eugene. They crown a "Slug Queen" every year. Does the festival at your lake crown a queen too, Jamie?

Beach, Yes there is a festival queen, but it's usually a guy.....dressed up like .... well ..... a Queen! It is a pretty wild festival, I hear. We've never been, but have heard lots about it from people who did go. And, I've seen the billboards announcing it each year. So much for the "up-tight" Bible Belt, huh! I'll be googling the Slug Festival.....sounds fun!! Slug Queen....oh my, how wonderful THAT would be on a resume!!

Just went searching... it is the "Eugene Celebration" and the "Slug Queen" is also usually a guy dressed up as a.... slug queen. It is a hoot! The slug is our "unofficial" state mascot....

Sounds priceless! I'm gonna go check it out!

Eugene is "The Town that Time Forgot". It is a mecca for "hippies" , "tree huggers", and "DeadHeads". The Saturday Market there is like time traveling backward to the 60s and has always been that way. Tie-dyes, patchouli, dreads, flower-children galore. Beautiful crafts, terrific food, entertainment.
Eugene is the home of the University of Oregon, lots of culture, quirkiness, and a truly unique kind of place. I lived there my teen years and visit often. It is about 80 miles from where I live now.

Jamie,
The town of Sopchoppy is located in Wakulla County which is south of Tallahassee. It is right next to the Apalachicola National Forest which is where I like to go as far into the woods as possible. (lots of indian names)
The main industry is commercial fishing, honey and syrup making.
Worm grunting is a very old method of getting worms to come up out of the ground.
A "stob"(stick) is driven into the ground. A piece of metal usually an old saw blade is rubbed back and forth. It creates a vibration that causes worms to come to the surface and become fish bait.
The festival is just a fun little cultural study as you walk around and see the different folks. For some, dressing up is still ironed overalls, a white shirt with the top button buttoned. There is usually food booths of the usual fair food. The best booths are the local seafood booths.

Sounds like real fun! I LOVE little quirky festivals like that! We've been to many in our travels over the years. They are more fun than the regular tourist attractions.

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!! first time this old hick has ever heard of worm gruntin LOL now iffin ya had said deer gruntin ok LOL ....... hey skeet just how does a worm sound when they grunt and what kinda worms hehehehheheeeeeeeee ...........JIM

Doug, I knew you were serious. You are good, but I don't think even you could make up something like worm gruntin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie