Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

TKR Six Years Kneeling Still Painful

rjrober23

Country
United States United States
I’m 6 years out from Bi-lateral TKR and overall think it was a good decision. I do still have pain sometimes in my left knee, but think that is more related to sciatica and referred back issues. So, kneeling. It really hurts to kneel. It feels like spikes being shoved up into my knees. I can tolerate it long enough to get up off of the floor if I put a pillow down, but not fun. I can get up if I fall, but that REALLY hurts.

I used to get on the floor and do Pilates and yoga before my surgeries, but just don’t do that anymore. This is my only limitation after the replacements. As I said, good decision overall. I lost 40lbs in the first 6 months without trying just due to being normally active again. (I’m now down about 100lbs.) I wondered if there are any other experiences like this.

Ruthanne

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
We have many members on the knee side who have this same concern. I am sure they will be along soon to chat.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I also can't kneel any longer. As a result, we've made some accommodations such as my kitchen cabinets are all drawers on the bottom, since I can't get down to get into them any longer. My garden beds are becoming high beds so I can garden while standing, and so on. Sometimes, for some reason, I have to get down on the floor to do something; getting up again is difficult, but I can do it, albeit ungracefully. We hire others to do things that I used to do, but I do whatever I can myself still. It's a different way of life and was hard to accept, but since I have no choice I decided I'd rather age gracefully and accept the limitations I now have, rather than go kicking and screaming into my senior years.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @rjrober23 - and :welome: back.

It's very common to feel discomfort when you kneel, and some people can't kneel at all.

Some surgeons prefer their patients don't kneel - if you have damaged cartilage at the back of your kneecap replaced with a plastic button, the surgery leaves the kneecap quite thin, and vulnerable to fracturing.

I can kneel on soft surfaces, such as the carpet, but I don't like the strange feeling, so I try to avoid doing it.

By the way, we only use the term "bilateral" for people who have had both knees replaced on the same day.

OP
OP
rjrober23

rjrober23

Country
I can kneel, more or less, with cushions. I kneel at Mass as much as I can. It’s easier at home where I can put a couple pillows down. I found that it became easier with practice. A little at a time. Sometimes the kneeler at church is painful or I just can’t find the right spot that day. One knee or the other might be more painful. Sometimes I just “offer it up”. If you’re Catholic, you know exactly what I mean.

Tykey

big-cheese
My knees aren't painful when I kneel, but they are uncomfortable. I've also had to give up yoga, but still do the downward dog regularly, as it's the only way I can get back up off the floor.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nancan
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom