Hip Arthroscopy siwy24's recovery and fight for health!

siwy24

Country
Poland Poland
Hello everybody,

I found this forum today, and I can’t believe how valuable this knowledge source is! Thank you!

My name is Piotr and I’m 5.5 weeks post-op. I underwent a left hip arthroscopy surgery on the 24th of May to get my hip fixed. The doctor shaved my left hip to remove FAI CAM + PINCER (mixed), with the osteoplasty? of the thigh bone and resection of the anterolateral edge of the acetabulum. The labrum was torn, so they placed 3 PushLock anchors implants. I have also the information that the synovectomy was performed.

In the medical recommendations, among others, I was advised to use crutches for 8 weeks with putting weight within the pain limit. I am also using a CPM machine for ~6 hours per day, with bending starting from 40 degrees, up to 90 degrees. Now it is around 85.

I have PT with 2 different physiotherapists (different formal circumstances), but one is mainly giving the instructions that I follow. Therapy is concentrated on proper walking, breathing, and stabilization muscles practice (isometric ones), so exercises include:
  • Isometric abdominal muscle(s) – squeezing and tightening them for 5 seconds (10 x 2 series throughout the day)
  • The same exercise but with hip rotators squeezed,
  • The same exercise with abdominal muscles and hip rotators, but with bending leg upwards (flexion) up to ROM without any pain,
  • Quadriceps muscle mobilization (also 10 x 2 series)
  • 2 weeks ago they added standing up using abdominal muscles, hip rotators, and proper breathing – with the crutches,
  • One week ago – they added raising the leg bent in the knee with abdominals and rotators while sitting, no more than 90 degrees, and holding up for ~5 seconds,
  • PT also includes psoas release.
As for now, I’m allowed by PT to start putting weight on my leg to 100% using 2 crutches (until now it was 30-50%, or perhaps even more). Of course, if any pain occurs, one step back should be taken. No red sign from the doctor – I can put a weight within the pain limit.

Unfortunately, on Saturday I almost fell from stairs and stepped forwards on my operated leg (4.5 weeks post-op). I felt no pain at the time, but my leg started to swell the next day and the day after. Yesterday and the day before there was no swelling, but today it started to swell again a little bit. After seeing my PT today, we tried external rotation ROM for the first time (the leg was stiff and no ER - 0 degrees), After the visit, the leg started to swell a little bit again. There is a little bone-ish pain around this, mainly after standing up or waking up – but not too strong. Previously, the pain was almost gone after a few weeks.

I’m very concerned about this and almost freaking out . The question is: What can be the reason of swelling? Could my hip joint capsule have been strained or torn in any way after that time? Or, perhaps anything else, e.g. labrum? Might be the heat (over 35 Celsius degrees here ), or the fact I stopped taking anti-inflammation medicines a week ago? Walking too much on Saturday and Sunday?

Please let me know your thoughts and tell me if there are any reasons for concern.

Last, but not least, apologies for any linguistic mistakes – English is not my native language and I tried to translate medical terms on my own

Last edited:

ljpviper

Country
United States United States
You probably just strained your muscles, psoas or another one. Dont be fooled a hip scope is a complex surgery. Your leg is in a traction device so they can repair the labrum,etc. I was also 8 weeks partial weight bearing,cpm machine.

Its very important once you get over the swelling is to really focus on core/hip/glute strength. You want the muscles that support the joint to be really strong. I made the mistake of not rehabbing properly and tore by labrum/cartilege once i started impact excersises.

I would ice non stop and take anti inflamatories. Do not push through it you will go backwards. Good luck.

Larry

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us!
It sounds like you strained or aggravated tissue in the area as a result of your near fall. Thankfully, you didn’t fall, but caught yourself instead, I guess it could have been much worse.

It seems you’re doing a lot physically this early into your recovery. Its like you’re in training, but you need to heal first. Consider stepping back from all of the PT until you’re feeling better. Take OTC meds as needed and ice, ice, ice. It will help with the inflammation and resulting pain.

I will leave our Recovery Guidelines for THR as the info is also applicable for Hip Arthroscopy recovery, which can be just as long, if not longer than a Total Hip Replacement recovery. Both recoveries can take up to a full year, even longer for some.
I hope with some rest and lots of icing you feel better soon. Please stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

CoffeandCrafts

Country
@siwy24 Just wanted to reach out and see how you are doing! I hope the swelling has improved. I had a very similar surgery, it sounds like! I had a labral tear and mixed hip impingement, as well. They used 5 anchors for my tear that was from the 10:30-3:00 position and performed the bone reshaping on both areas of the hip
Impingement as well. It’s been a tough recovery for me… surgery date was 5.17…and still is quite slow moving. But I hear that’s not entirely abnormal. Hope you have had improvement since your last post! Let us know. Take care!

OP
OP
S

siwy24

Country
Poland Poland
Hello and thanks very much for the warm welcome everyone! Appreciate that!

I'm doing quite well right now. On Saturday I was at my best friend's wedding, so I couldn't miss it :) I was there walking on crutches a lot, so the leg was swelling a little bit again. But overall it had improved since then, I am trying to relax, I'm elevating the leg, and icing it a lot. I feel no pain at the moment, so hopefully, the recovery is moving in the right direction.

I'm also seeing my PT on Friday, so there is a short break in the sessions (compared to previous ones).

@CoffeandCrafts Hello my hippie sister, it seems that our surgeries were alike! Let me know your progress, and I wish you a quick and painless recovery!

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I'm also seeing my PT on Friday, so there is a short break in the sessions (compared to previous ones).
Please don’t do anything that hurts and if PT proves to be too much….step away.
Stay in touch!

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and enjoying the progress you‘ve made since you last posted. Feel free to update as time allows, we’d love to know how you’re doing.
Have a great week!
@siwy24

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CanadianLiz
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom