Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Sitting to standing problems after hip surgery

Cherise

Country
Malta Malta
Hi my mother who is 47 years old did a cannulated hip screw surgery nearly 8 months ago. She is definitely improving and is also managing to walk without crutches indoors. She was given the go-ahead of full weight bearing about a month and a half ago and and is feeling the improvement. However, she is experiencing pain and difficulty walking as soon as she stands up after sitting down. It feels like she loses strength after being seated. She limps for about 5 minutes and then goes back to normal. This is worrying me because this does not happen first thing in the morning when she gets up from bed but all the time after she sits down. So if she sits down for 2 minutes and then stands up, the same thing happens and this had been going on for a very long time. Is this happening to anyone else, is it normal?

@Cherise Welcome to BoneSmart! I assume your Mother had a fracture? It can take awhile for a fracture to heal.

You might suggest she use a cane to take some of the weight off her hip when she first stands up from a seated position. It could be that leg is very weak - especially if she was non-weight bearing for any length of time.

Has your Mother had a follow-up x-ray?

Hi, thanks for your quick answer. Yes she had a follow up x ray about 2 months ago and they said that the results are very good. We just want to know whether this is an ordinary situation or not cause although there seems to be improvement in everything else, there seems to be no improvement in this.

I sincerely don't know if this is an issue but this is my thoughts.. I was "weight bearing" directly after BTHR (bilateral hip replacement,) and I felt this start up "stutter steps" weakness after sitting for.. I'm guessing probably up to five or six months post op.
So, though it is a different surgery your mother has undergone, one and a half months into applying weight to her healing leg doesn't sound overly problematic to me.
I certainly don't want to guess as it is always best to relay Any Concerns with your OS...but it sounds like it is a time thing to me.
Hope all gets better and better.

Hi Mojo,

Thank you for your reply. I just wanted to know whether other patients were also experiencing this to put my mind to rest. Thank you for sharing your experience :)

Cherise

I just wanted to know whether other patients were also experiencing this to put my mind to rest.
Almost every patient with a new hip experiences this. As Mojo says - stutter steps. Will your Mother use a cane until this eases?

Hi Jaycey,

She was given the go-ahead by the doctors to stop using the cane when indoors, yet she uses the cane to walk a few steps after she stands up from sitting down, otherwise, it is very easy for her to fall as she feels very weak. After a few mins, she regains her strength and can stop using it. My mother also did not have a hip replacement, she has 3 screws inserted as they wanted to preserve her hip since she's still young.

Thanks Cherise

Oh yes, I do know your mother did not have THR. But it is very common for anyone having hip surgery to have this weakness.

The doctor may have given your mother the go ahead to stop using the cane but her hip is telling her something different. Using a cane for support will help her regain her strength. When she can stand from a seated position without pain then she can stop using the cane.

my mother who is 47 years old did a cannulated hip screw surgery nearly 8 months ago.
Can you please confirm your mother's age, the exact date of surgery and which hip? It will help us advise you/her.

Hi again,

I appreciate your interest. She had her operation on 1 st march 2019. It was on her Right hip- subcapital fracture fixed with 3 cannulated screws. First doctors thought that she will not heal as the hip moved slightly out of place, but then followed up with x rays and were not concerned anymore as it only moved once and remained in that position as ever since. She is improving a lot now and can walk without a cane indoors. Her only concern is the limp after standing up from sitting down. It is obviously a long process but at least we hope that her sacrifices will be worth it in the end if she recovers completely.

Thanks,
Cherise

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker