THR Sitting comfortably

That is wonderful that your OS is recommending 12 wks off. You really want to give your body a chance to recuperate. It is a major surgery and it takes our bodies time to adjust and get back to normal and then there is the hip that wants to be taken care of an not overused too early in the process.

Our emotions do get all over the place after a major surgery like this. You are doing well so early in the recovery journey. This site is so great because we can share anything here and we all have been there and understand. I hope your evening is peaceful and you get some sleep. :console2::sleep:

11 days post op and I feel like I am failing can't even walk with one crutch.
Has someone been telling you that you should be able to walk with only one crutch?
That's ridiculous. There is no time schedule for when you should be able to do things, because every surgery is different and every recovery is different.

The crutches are just a tool, to help take some of the load off your new hip. Keep on using them until you feel you can safely start using one. Keep using two crutches until you feel your hip is strong and reliable enough to support you without you falling. It's much better to keep using the crutches than it is to have a fall.

Don't let anyone make you feel you're failing. You're not. You are just doing what is best for your hip and your recovery. Just because you don't conform to a one-size-fits-all, artificial schedule doesn't mean a thing, except that someone doesn't have enough common sense to realise that no two recoveries are the same.

FC Bayren
Thank you for reassuring me.
Yes work at a care home even small one is full on most of the time. Especially a in covid as they ask for you to work longer shifts to stop to many change overs of staff.
Well see how things go
Have a great day:flwrysmile:

Hello Dogmother,
I hope you slept well last night and you’re feeling more cheerful today and less pathetic than you mentioned you were feeling yesterday. You’ll be two weeks post op already on Wednesday and as the weeks begin to click by your strength, energy, flexibility and mobility will all improve. The early days of recovery can be a downer, but as you’ve read, it’s only temporary. Your future looks bright and you’re on your way to better days. :SUNsmile:
Happy Monday!
@Dogmother

Hi @Dogmother
I am so pleased you found a place to rent the lift chair! Things should hopefully get easier for you soon.. please try not to worry and use your patience muscle, bec
asue there are a lot of ups and downs in this recovery process.
I am sorry, I didn't see your our question directed to me earlier... if you type the symbol @ and then the member's name that you want to tag, it sends a notification to them. I tagged you above so you could see how it works..
In fact, I can leave you a link to click on and read about it. It will most likely be clearer than my explanation!

You are feeling a bit better and that hopefully will boost your spirits a bit. :console2:

14 days post op tomorrow no body has mentioned about staple/stitches /strip or dressing removal to me! Should I be having that done soon?
I still have the same stressing on I had replaced the day after op!!
Having a lot of inner thigh soreness not actual pain more like sunburn very tender to touch any ideas please!

@Dogmother do you have a follow-up appointment scheduled with your surgeon? That's usually when they take out staples, stitches, etc. Mine was scheduled at the same time as when they scheduled my surgery, just the way my surgeon does it. They have me paperwork so I had it and could read it before the surgery and that way I wasn't groggy from pain meds.

The thigh soreness is more than likely muscles and tendons waking up and complaining. You can ice this area as well to get some relief.

I can’t address the incision issue since I had no staples. I can address the work issue. So glad your surgeon said 12 weeks. I worked as a respiratory therapist at the time of my surgery in a long term pulmonary care facility (I am mostly retired now.) They were 3, 12 hour shifts per week. Very physical days. I could only officially have 12 weeks with my leave but I couldn’t pass the physical competency test our facility gives post surgery. My OS was ready to back me up whatever I needed but things worked out as they usually do. They didn’t want to lose a good employee so gave me a couple of more weeks. I passed the test the second time under what I suspect were some “fudged” results. My boss was the best through it all. She allowed me to come back half shifts 1 day first week, then 2 the next, one full shift, then 2 the next week. At that time I just went part-time. So. If you can do a phased in work plan, it’s the way to go. It might take some negotiating but it will be worth it. I was still feeling it at the end of the day for a few weeks but it was manageable. Best of luck to you in finding a win-win with your workplace. Keep us updated. ❤️

14 days post op tomorrow no body has mentioned about staple/stitches /strip or dressing removal to me! Should I be having that done soon?
Yes, staples should be removed 10-14 days post op. Can you make an appointment with the nurse at your GP? Please call today!

Happy Two Week Anniversary, Dogmother!
Glad to hear you have an appointment with your GP tomorrow. Hopefully the staples will be history. I’m a wimp, :yes: therefore SO happy I didn’t have them, because dare I say....they remind me of Frankenstein! :yikes: Will rejoice with you once they’re out. :wink:
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing evening!
@Dogmother

@Layla
Thank you yes two weeks today . Not had a bad couple of days apart from the sitting and inner thigh soreness.
Can walk with one crutch but don't seem to have the extention in stride on operated leg to feel safe without some support yet.

@Dogmother you are doing really well! Keep in mind, this is not a race with anybody to walk un-aided. Use what makes you feel strongest, because you'll probably walk better that way, and thus in the long run get to where you want to be sooner than if you forced yourself to take that crutch away. If it feels right and good, keep it! :yes: :SUNsmile:

Use aids in walking till you are comfortable and can walk without limping. I found that at first to get the right gait I needed to take smaller steps and as time passed could use my normal stride or really my new normal stride since I had issues for quite a while and was limping and waddling for a long time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom