TKR Sissy46 Recovery Adventure

sissy46

post-grad
I'm on the other side, hallelujah!

I had a right TKR on October 25. My surgeon did a minimally invasive (no quadriceps cut, medial incision) procedure, using the MAKO Robotic Arm. I had general anesthesia as I was not a candidate for a spinal. Along with the general, I had two blocks, one that was given by the anesthesiologist in pre-op; the other by the surgeon after I was under anesthesia. They gave me IV meds pre-op to prevent nausea, and thankfully, I haven't had any nausea at all, just not much appetite yet.

Although I live alone I was able to go home the same day as my sweet sister came to be with me. She just left today. My condo is on the 2nd floor, so the physical therapist at the hospital took me to the stairwell before discharge and made sure I could go up and down 15 steps with no problem---one step at a time, like a toddler, but it works, remembering "bad goes down, good goes up." I went downstairs yesterday and today for a short walk.

Didn't need anything for pain until about 24 hours post-op when the blocks started to wear off. I should have taken it at the first twinge, but I waited till it got bad, so I was pretty uncomfortable for a few hours until the meds caught up (hydrocodone/tylenol 5/325). When someone says "stay ahead of the pain" believe it. I knew better.

My knee is bruised, swollen, and stiff, but I'm taking one pain pill about every 6 hours now, and I'm not uncomfortable. I don't need the walker to get around my condo, but I will take it for longer walks.

And did I ever get lucky with PT! I was ready to stand up for myself and insist on the Bonesmart gentle approach, but my therapist beat me to it, saying he will never force anything and he's not there to inflict pain. He said my range of motion will improve as the swelling goes down; he gave me 3 simple exercises to do, instructed me to continue elevating and icing.

It's early days yet, I know, in the healing process, but I'm very happy with how it's going so far.

Welcome to Recovery! I’m glad things are going well!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@sissy46 Sounds like you have a gem of a PT. Well done! Here's to a slow and steady approach to recovery.

@sissy46 While I could do stairs the proper way, my PT suggested to go down stairs backwards until the leg(s) were working good. Just make sure you are at the bottom before turning around.
Good luck with recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to recovery, @sissy46! You are off to a great start and so lucky to have a PT who gets it!

Keep us posted on your recovery. Share your concerns, ask questions or simply vent. We are here for you!
:flwrysmile:

Three weeks post-op today, and I had my first follow-up visit with my surgeon yesterday. All is going very well.

I've had 8 in-home PT sessions, with just one more to go. My physical therapist and surgeon agree I don't need to go to out-patient PT, hooray! I'm walking without the walker or cane, although I take the cane with me when I go places.

I have a great surgeon who is up on the latest techniques that make recover easier (not easy), and a physical therapist who encourages but doesn't push. And a sweet sister who came the day before surgery and stayed a few days, making it possible for me to go home the same day.

I'm hoping (expecting) that I will be cleared for resuming canoeing, bike riding, and volunteering, when I have my next follow-up in three more weeks. They'll take x-rays at that visit.

The first three weeks have been more difficult than the first three weeks after THR ten years ago. Knees are more complicated than hips, and they don't hand out opioids like they used to! And, you know, I'm ten years older now too. But I was able to drive at 10 days, and yesterday I felt like a big kid, driving myself to the grocery and going shopping all by myself. Got 3 big bags of groceries which I had to lug upstairs, one at a time. Today I'm a sore but happy member of the over-did-it-club.

I'm getting my life back, and I couldn't be more grateful for the wonderful care I've received.

Sounds like you're doing well. Remember, this is a full year, on average, recovery, so don't push your knee past where it wants to go. Three months post-op might be a little early for all the activities you're hoping to do, so listen to your knee and let it decide what it's ready for. Good luck!

Hi there, :hi:
What a great update...you're doing so well!
Happy One Month Anniversary! May it only get better.
@sissy46

@ Creampuff and Layla
Thank you so much! I didn't realize it was my knee's anniversary, but it sure is.
I'm very happy with my new knee after one month; it feels so much better right now than it did the days before surgery, and it gets better with each passing day. I feel ready to go canoeing and bike riding but I did agree to wait till after my 6 week follow up on December 5. Counting the days.

I've been faithfully doing my PT exercises. I miss my awesome physical therapist, but he came 3 times/week for 3 weeks and then said I didn't need him anymore. My flexion was 132 at 3 weeks, extension 0, so I've been able to go up and down stairs like a big kid, alternate legs instead of like a toddler. My incision is healed, the swelling is negligible just around the knee, and the most I take for discomfort is Ibuprofen 200mg morning and night as needed.

A good night's sleep is still hard to come by, but that too is getting better.

I know this entire process has been very easy for me, and I'm grateful. I wish it were this way for everyone.

Six week follow-up visit, and I am cleared for resuming canoeing, biking, and volunteer work. X-rays were good, ROM is very good.

It's been an easy recovery, but still not a walk in the park. Still not sleeping well, but I know that's typical and will get better. Still stiff and sore at times, and I'm taking ibuprofen every 12 hours.

Overall, I am very happy with my new knee and the care I've received.

Awesome update, sissy! Thanks for sharing. It is great to read you're happy with your progress and certainly an encouragement to those following behind you. May it only get better! :thumb:
@sissy46

Hello @sissy46
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a nice Christmas and I wish you a great week!
Take good care and feel free to update as time allows. :)

@Layla, thank you! I'm doing very well. Back to paddling my solo canoe without any help or any problem; haven't quite had the nerve to get on my bike yet, but I think next week.
Happy New Year, everyone!

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Did you get the bike out yet? If you did, I hope you've enjoyed some nice rides.
Just none of this...Look, No Hands! :bicycle1: :wink:
Happy New Year, sissy!
@sissy46

Cycling is arguably the best recovery exercise. Originally my surgeon told me to do as much as your knee can handle…..9 mos post TKR and I’m riding more, pain free, than I have in the last 7 years. Glad to hear your recovery is going great!! Gratz!!

@Layla, @Axx72
Thank you! I am so thrilled with my recovery so far. Yes, I've been riding my Brompton folding bike that I keep in my car, and of course I'm canoeing several times/week.

Back in mid-October, which is peak wildflower/butterfly season here in Florida, I walked a short distance in great pain to a spot where I knew the flowers and butterflies would be spectacular. I had a hard time making it back to my car. A couple of days ago, I took a short hike and when I reached that spot, without knee pain, I was so grateful I could have cried.

Still a bit stiff in the mornings, and I get some swelling when I over-do (about every other day, lol), but it's been a while since I could complain of any real pain.

I'm still doing about 20 minutes of knee exercises most days, and ice and elevate after, which is a great excuse for snuggling with my cat and reading.

I was so grateful I could have cried.
Aww, I think we all have an occasion like this imprinted in our memory. I know I do. I never tire of hearing the words from a grateful heart.
Still a bit stiff in the mornings, and I get some swelling when I over-do
It's never too late to ice and elevate with swelling when it occurs after activity. The stiffness in the mornings that you mentioned...I can relate to that!

Another BS member, Eman85 (hip forum) politely reminds us that mention stiffness upon rising likely has a lot to do with the date on our drivers license. :heehee: I chuckle each time I read it, but do agree with him. I guess we're blessed to live long enough to feel like the Tin Man in need of the oil can on occasion.

You seem to be doing great! Thanks for taking the time to update. I am happy for you...enjoy!

Happy Four Month Anniversary, sissy!
I hope you're enjoying your new knee, making steady progress and living live to the fullest.
May it only get better with each passing month! :SUNsmile:
@sissy46

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties