THR siobhan is in recovery

siobhan

Country
Ireland Ireland
Surgery went well, experienced very intense pain after first movements but getting my meds now so much better. Thanks to all for support and best wishes also to all the rest of u.

Hi. I have moved your post from TomT's recovery thread and I have started a new recovery thread for you. This will be your very own recovery thread that you will ask your questions and tell us how you are doing.

Here is some reading to help you manage your recovery:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:

rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs

6. Access these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Siobhan,

Congrats on your soon to be lack of pain! Yay!!

You’ll be home soon, taking a nap while elevating and icing!

In a week you’ll be walking around your home with a crutch and sleeping all night

So glad you are on the Healing Side @siobhan :loveshwr:
All Temporary...was the mantra that got me through the first weeks.
We have amazing bodies and slow and steady after the trauma of surgery is definitely the best way to go. (No choices about that now, I know)
Sending lots of healing mojo your way and hope you will be home soon.:flwrysmile:

What the thinking on sleeping on your back post op. Is this necessary and for how long.
Thanks

Thankd guys I hope I'm putting this in right place. Not to bad so far been a couple of severe painfull moments but survived. Any thoughts about sleeping on your back post op. Is this necessary and for how long. Hope everyone else doing ok

Did you have posterior or anterior approach?. I believe if posterior you need to be careful about crossing your legs so sleeping on back is probably your safest bet. I had anterior and am a side sleeper , so just put a pillow between my legs and slept on my side. My doctor told me with anterior approach I had no restrictions as to this position. If you have questions I would ask your doctor.

I had an anterior approach and my surgeon didn't want me sleeping on my side for a couple of weeks, and then said it would be ok with a pillow between my legs after that. Sleep was elusive for me for several weeks. Sigh. You should ask your surgeon, as there are differing opinions. Hang in there! It will get better!

@siobhan
You'll notice that I have merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. The October Feisties thread is for members to see who had surgery around the same time. You will receive more responses to your questions and concerns in your recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Posterior approach - slept on non op side with pillow between legs - began side sleeping with pillow on op side around Day 10.

You will be shocked at how great you feel in a few more days!

Last edited:
@siobhan Ask your surgeon about restrictions. Don't rely on nurses or physios for this information. Literally every surgeon has a different view on issues such as back sleeping.

I was a posterior so I slept fairly well in a rigged up big lazy boy recliner...as I also am not a back sleeper.
I built a 4 inch tall box for under the chair, prior to surgery and cranked it back like a raised hospital bed using pillows for my feet and a body pillow on top between my legs and upper body. Slept decently plus I could get out and had an easy walk to the bathroom from there. A nice little table at the side held all of my goodies and grabber! But...try what is most comfortable for you! You'll discover best methods as you heal!
Good Luck!

For me if I wanted to sleep it was on my back for the first weeks. Restrictions or not for me it just made sense not to put strain on the muscles too quickly. One of the differences in the 2 approaches is the direction they rotate your femur to access it, and in turn stretching those muscles.

In bed, I slept on my side with a pillow or two between my legs but on the couch, I napped on my back but I chalk that up to the drugs. :loll: I guess if you *can* sleep on your back, that’s a good thing, I just had a hard time doing it.

Hi all hope recovery going well. I'm one week today post op and have to say the lifestyle change lack of sleep and muscle cramps are taking its toll. Any advice re cramping particularly in my operated legs knee at night I've tried elevation, no elevation. Even though my family have been fantastic I've been very tearful, have read on here that not uncommon. Any hints, tips advice would be much appreciated.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Hi @siobhan
Boy, I had some serious Restless Leg Syndrome after my surgeries and a really hard time finding a comfortable way to sit or lay down for long.
I was constantly changing positions....frustrating for sure.:sigh:
Here is some information Layla often shares....
Regarding RLS and cramps...consider looking into Magnesium.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine.
Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring.
These early days are emotional and tough, so try not to worry.

Apologies in advance moderators but I cannot figure out how to find and post in my own thread, if this isn't correct.
I'm 2 weeks post op now and have to say much improved, swelling mostly subsided pain better and movements improving. Sleeping through the night now I can sleep on my side, bought special pillow on amazon great value as gives me night sleep, priceless.
I tried cutting back on pain meds yesterday but pain increased and with that the agitation so I'm not going to try that again for a while. I will admit I find being in my bed alot more comfortable that sitting upright as my muscles get very tired and cramp. I've avoided my recliner but am thinking of using it for comfort any advice re same. My surgery was lateral approach. Hope u all doing ok. I find this forum excellent so thank u all so much.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom