silly question about compression stockings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindawalms

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hi all, this may be a silly question, but I figured what the heck...

What exactly are compression stockings for? Are they to prevent blood clots, or to prevent/help w/ swelling? And do all "hippies" have to wear them?

Just curious:doh:

Hi Linda, there is no such thing as a silly question - especially on this site.

Compression stockings (or anti embolism socks) are worn after joint replacement to enhance blood circulation and help prevent clogs. Since they are rather tight on the leg they do (for some) help with swelling. But it's mainly all about preventing embolism.

Not only hippies need to wear them. I had to wear them after spinal surgery as well - but only in the hospital. After my hip surgery I had to wear them for three weeks. Some surgeons require wear up to 6 weeks after your op. Some don't send their patients home with them at all.

As most of those on the other side will confirm - they are IMPOSSIBLE to get on without help post op. Sounds like you will have family around though so you should avoid the struggle.

Ask your surgeon what he will require. You may just escape without them.

Thanks for your reply. I have images running thru my head of trying to get those suckers on:hissy: LOL. I've had the leg pump things after surgery while in hospital before - they are annoying until you get used to them, they pump air in/out to squeeze the calf on and off. Maybe I'll get to just have to use those...

:)

I had the leg pump things for the first 24 hours after my hip surgery. They didn't really bother me because I had a spinal and couldn't feel them until very late the evening after my surgery.

Ask your OS about them. Or the hospital might be able to tell you. Every area has their own procedure on those things.

My visiting nurse told me do not try and put them on yourself post op. You will violate every restriction they give you trying to struggle into them. Just tell the staff you don't have help. Maybe you will escape them!

Ha Ha, great advice, LOL:wink:

I'm all for wearing the compression stockings . . . anything to prevent a blood clot sounds good to me. The pharmacist at the unit stated hip and knee replacements have the 2nd highest occurrence of clots. Besides it will make my neighbors have to come over to help me get them on and off . . . :) ~Leslie (home cooking and freezing food on a Saturday night about 1 week out from surgery - wow)

I also had the leg compression things that pump with air and then deflate, and NO Teds stockings. I can't imagine having tight stockings wound up onto your calf with a knee replacement. The leg compression things were simple to be applied, and removed as needed for the CPM machine, or therapy. It will all depend on your doctor's orders.

hugs and prayers!
J
RTKR Dec 2, 2009
LTKR Mar 30, 2010

Linda, as I'm sure you've seen if you've perused this forum, these stockings are rather routinely despised, but it sure beats risking clots! Frankly, I didn't find them THAT awful, and didn't really have any issues removing & putting them on again, BUT I had anterior approach & had no restrictions.

I was actually given my stocking (just for the op leg) & told to put it on pre-op--it was one of the last things I remember before waking up with my new hip. I also had the inflatable pump at first, but that was removed as soon as the spinal wore off, feeling returned, and I got out of bed for my first steps.

Admittedly, my surgery was in the fall, so I didn't have to deal with heat & humidity, but nonetheless, it wasn't THAT bad--and I was able to stop wearing them after 4 weeks or so.

(To be perfectly honest, I think the guys really hate them more--but we gals complain louder! :hehe:)

Hi Linda, I had to wear the stockings for 3 weeks following surgery and found them a pain as I could dress myself without help apart from the stockings. Like others have said better the stockings than a blood clot.

A tip I was given in hospital was to put the plastic bag the stockings came in over your foot first (cut or stretch the sides a bit) and then put on the stockings. They slide much easier over your foot with the bag in place. Mine had a hole in the bottom under the toes so you ( or your helper) can then pull the bag out to reuse - it worked for me as my husband was dreading putting on my stockings even more than doing the housework! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member