BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

SI joint pain pre surgery anyone?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by stellaluna, Mar 31, 2018.

1. stellaluna

stellaluna new member

United States United States
    Has anyone here experienced SI joint pain pre-surgery? I notice it on my Left side /SI joint.That hip is way worse than my right hip. I am an active person, yoga, weights indoor cycling. Ive noticed certain yoga poses- specifically warrior 2 - create discomfort in the left SI joint. I sincerely hope this is somethign that goes away post surgery. I feel that with every passing week Im getting less range of motion in general. August cant come quick enough.

2. Kikki

Kikki new member

Hi Stella

Prior to my THR right surgery 3/14 I went through the most ridiculous pains and diagnosis. I had sciatica, then it moved to my butt-piriformis syndrome. Then it morphed to si joint. Oh, and I did have hip bursitis. I think they were ALL just my bad hip joint manifesting different ways to try and compensate.

I’m pretty sure it will self correct after your THR. The waiting for surgery is the worst. But you’ll have time to get your house, and recovery items in order!

Kikki.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My bad hip was diagnosed as lower back issues for years. As Josephine always say - everything is connected. You are probably walking all wrong to try and stay off that sore hip. That will certainly impact your back.

When is your surgery? BTW - I did a bit of research to confirm what yoga pose you were referring to. One of the first things I read is that you should not be practicing warrior 2 if you have a hip, knee or shoulder injury. You might want to skip that pose until after your surgery and recovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. stellaluna

stellaluna new member

Hi and thanks for responding. I think you guys are right. I feel I am TOO aware of the hip and when I walk I am compromising. Would explain why after walking for say 25 min I feel achiness in my back and legs. I am probably compensating. Jaycey- I would like to know where you found that article about Warrior 2. Could you tell me? I am actually now looking into something called Somatics. Gentle movement. Going to incorporate this into my routine. Hoping it will bring some relief.

5. stellaluna

stellaluna new member

oh and my surgery is August 6. bilateral hip replacement. Dr is doing a modified anterolateral approach. Cant find much online about it. He stated NO muscle w/be cut.

6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Just type yoga outlet in any search engine. Half way down the page are cautions for each pose.

If both your hips are bad I would certainly try and avoid any activity that aggravates them. It's hard I know as you are active and want to stay that way. But the situation is only temporary. Once you are fully recovered you will get back to doing all the activities you love.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New double hippy! Yay.
    My hips were so bad prior to surgery, OS said any physical activity would just aggravate them and worsen my condition.
    I have been ever so pleased since I have had my surgery and given all the proper time to heal. Will be one year out in few weeks.
    The minimally invasive surgery certainly was less restrictive and my recovery was quicker than I expected...but can be misleading as deep healing just takes time!
    The lack of restrictions can make it easy to overdo too early.
    Just because we can, doesn't mean we should ...good mantra to remember in recovery!
    Glad you are going to be a bilateral bonesmartie...and we will be there to cheer you on!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kikki

Kikki new member

Oh, and I drew the line when they said it was my back. Yes I’m very familiar with referred pain. I am told them in black and white it absolutely is NOT my back.

It shouldn’t have been this difficult to get a diagnosis.

9. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

Ooh you are clever then! This is a well known fact that often back pain and hip pain can be almost impossible to differentiate. That's because the sciatic nerve is close to the joint. VERY close!

sciatic nerve 1.jpg

10. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

I found in particular, the arch and flatten, very soothing for the back before surgery. Even did it while driving to relieve lower back stress.You can find many good Somatic instructors on youtube.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1