• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Showering after TKR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newlinda

Country
United States United States
:what: Hi Everyone !
I wondered how long before you could shower after surgery ? Did you need to wear a protective cover over sutures ?
Thanks, Linda:)

puffin

graduate
Country
Sweden Sweden
It varies from place to place.

I had a waterproof dressing over my staples and was allowed to shower as soon as I felt up to it after the TKR

Baystater

senior
Country
I didn't have staples but rather dissolving sutures and derma bond (sort of a skin super glue.) With the right knee I went in on Friday, came home Tuesday and showered as soon as I got home. With the left knee I came home a day earlier but was still able to shower as soon as I got here. No protective cover needed, my OS said just don't bath or swim for several weeks. The first day home that shower and shampoo were every but as beneficial as the pain meds!

leejaa

post-grad
Country
With both knees, had staples and could shower after the 5 days- no protective covering as long as I did not take a bath and soak the leg. However, I managed to wash my hair in the sink at the hospital the second day - cannot stand unwashed hair on myself.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Me too. Though I didn't have a fully waterproof dressing at first so I used a plastic legging as below. I cut the foot off as plastic bags can be treacherous on a wet floor. I also showered on day 4 whilst still in hospital.

shower legging.jpg

referee54

omega
Country
It is entirely up to the OS and his protocol---I had to wait about three-four weeks before I could shower---and boy, did it feel great! I would sit in the shower---I had a stool to use---and let the hot water help loosen up my quads.

Whimsy3

Country
I had staples and came home on day 4, took a shower day 5 with no covering.

Butterfly

post-grad
Country
I had staples. They told me it was OK to shower when I got home. They told me I didn't have to cover over the dressing, as it was supposed to be waterproof.

maggie may

senior
Country
I took a shower when I got home from hospital. I had a plastic covering which I got on Amazon and sat on a shower stool. I had to keep my incision dry as long as the staples were in. At day 12 they came out and I could wash incision gently. I continued to use the shower stool for a few weeks for comfort and safety.
Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

gazelle7777

post-grad
Country
about one week after surgery-- I was told to remove the bandage and just let the water flow over the knees- not to scrub or soap them up at all. No cover or anything.

Jozilla

supremo
Country
We have a glass shower door on our bath tub instead of a shower curtain. Should i consider removing it to get in and out of shower easier? I am having tkr and do not know if I will be able to get in the shower with it on. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmartĀ®

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
That depends on how much room you have with it! Not being able to see it for ourselves it's almost impossible to say. But you will need plenty of room to swing your leg over.

I also had a shelf on my bath which had to be far enough down the bath to be able to reach the taps and shower head. And since the hand basin is right beside the tap end of the bath, it also had to be far enough UP the bath for me to swing my leg over! I'd sit on the shelf with back to the bath and then lift legs one at a time into the bath. I also used a leg lifter for the operated leg, so plenty of space was needed for that too!

bath board.jpg
leg lifter.jpg

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
My guess is it would be easier without the door. Maneuvering can be tricky early on.

Jozilla

supremo
Country
Thank you! There really is not much room so I think it will be better if hubby removes it.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmartĀ®

kar1963

Country
I showered the day my at home pt told me I could, so day 8 I was in the hospital a little.longer than norm. I didn't cover my incision and had staples. My therapist said just make sure I pat it dry really good and no lotions until the staple scanning was gone . I used vitamin e oil when the scabs were gone. We had a shower door and it did work better taking it off, I am thinking of keeping it off for good now. I have a shower seat and a rubber shower mat ...also my therapist said the best soap to use was dial gold... took his word for it

WyrDachs

Country
I had staples too. I showed on day 3 of the surgery, when they transferred me to inhouse rehab. They just covered up the knee with plastic, so it wouldn't get wet. The shower at the hospital had a nice teak bench.

At home, I have a small shower bench for the tub.

Lovestoread

supremo
Country
My incisions were "super glued" and was told I could shower the day after surgery. I just let the water run over the incision....of course I didn't really rub it or anything. I patted it dry and was fine.

amab

graduate
Country
My ORS had me wait 2 weeks ....when the staples were removed. Was the same for both knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
samsonite
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom