Shower bathing questions

Harpcat

Country
United States United States
My pre op education class insisted that we use a clean washcloth and towel every day once I’m allowed to bathe. The washcloth I can live with, but have trouble reasoning for the new towel each time. Anyone else know of this rule? Also do you think a shower chair is a necessity?

My pre op education class insisted that we use a clean washcloth and towel every day once I’m allowed to bathe. The washcloth I can live with, but have trouble reasoning for the new towel each time. Anyone else know of this rule? Also do you think a shower chair is a necessity?

I never got this information in my pre op education class, and at the hospital was given a "hip recovery" packet with one of the items being a sponge with a long handle for bathing. I didn't use it as I had previously bought (and use) a net-like (like the shower puffs) attached to a long handle. As for the shower chair, I had a home health nurse, an OT, and a PT come to my house twice a week. The OT examined my shower (in my master bedroom) and suggested placing bars and using a shower chair. I have a shower head that I can take out of the holder, and she also suggested draping it in one of the bars for easy access. However, I live alone and only took my first post surgery shower under the supervision of the O.T. It might be different if you have someone to assist you when bathing...

I never was told anything about changing washcloth or towel. I'd say it is good infection precaution. I never used a shower chair, we have a walk in shower and I used a suction cup handle on the wall. I was very cautious about not pivoting on my op leg.

Hello @Harpcat,
I was told to use a new towel and wash cloth while taking my shower and using the Hibiclens solution, Pre Surgery.
So I continued with that routine for the next two weeks, post op. I just felt like it was something I could control and it could possibly help.
Good luck! November is fast approaching!

I used a shower chair that I had. A simple sit down teal chair. I used a clean washcloth each time. In prep class was not told about the clean towel shower routine but I would assume it better to prevent infection thus using the clean washcloth. I’d use the towel twice and then get a clean one. I was very careful to keep the incision area clean. Once the bandage came off I continued to use the soap provided by the surgeon’s office around the incision area till it was gone.

I had a waterproof bandage and told not to get it sopping wet.
No special precautions. Probably depends on your bandage but whatever the reason its not long till the incision is closed
so dont fret about the laundry. Use small towels to dry that area if it helps the washload
My incision was ready for immersion at 11 days all closed. Yours may be different of course

This was never mentioned to me. I assume it is just an extra precaution. I did use a shower chair as I couldn’t get my leg over the edge of the tub. We borrowed the chair from our local rescue squad. They keep donated medical equipment on hand for residents to borrow as needed. It sure came in handy. My bandage was waterproof and I had no special bathing instructions.

I have a shower chair my sister gave me, I have help so I didn't think I really needed one, but have to say has been great to have one. I didn't with my knee replacement. I was never told anything about using clean towels or wash cloths

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member