Shoulder pain and surgery results questions

truckinguy

Country
United States United States
I have bone on bone..in my right shoulder as of 2014 xrays.. lived with growing pain due to I was told I'd have to retire from work if I did the shoulder replacement. I can't do that.. I can wind down some by avoiding the heavy work. I'm a reupholster. It doesn't hurt when carrying a chair or sofa around the shop or out to the truck. Just movements like reaching or holding on to a bike handlebar.
I'm going to see a Surgeon and get new xrays Feb 1st and some options for what I can do.

To those who had replacements pre surgery what was your pain like? I have a few different spots and levels of pain and where it comes from. From my outer biceps to my neck. Depending on my arm position or what it's doing.. worst I hate is the constant radiating pain while sitting still in a chair or driving.
I hope surgery would rid all but I'm not sure if muscles are damage,etc. or it's a reaction to the inflammation at the joint due to bone on bone.
And mostly i hope I can at least sew cushions..do light chairs or dining seats,etc.

The husband of a friend of mine who lives in Texas had a shoulder replacement about 8 years ago. They run a horse ranch, breed horses and he was a rodeo rider. The only thing he hasn't been able to return to is the rodeo!

If you have questions about this, how about joining up for our Joint Replacement Awareness Day (JRAD) and submit a question about it? It's an online event and you can register to it using this link www.jointawareday.org It's being held on April 14, 2018.

I've had both knees and my shoulder replaced. The shoulder is by far the most natural feeling of them all. Unfortunately I suffered a loss of ROM from an accident. The shoulder replacement did not allow me to regain my ROM. Your doctors should know or find out if there is underlying soft tissue injury. How else could they give accurate prognosis of your recovery. It also makes a difference of which type of replacement they do.
I still have normal twinges/pains when I abuse my shoulder, and I expect you would also. Good luck with whatever you decide.

jugornot, thanks... What can you do or not do with the shoulder? You say "abuse" give me an example of that abuse?? My Knee surgeon who doesn't go shoulders told me I'd have to retire..

Bear with me as this is a complicated answer. I broke my right shoulder and 5 ribs and fractured my right hip and left thumb in a motorcycle accident when a person turned into my path in a car. I never regained ROM above my shoulder height after PT. My doctor said I had arthritis in my shoulder that was limiting ROM. I had the shoulder replaced but again the ROM never came back. I believe that I sustained nerve/soft tissue/chest injuries that prevent me raising my arm above shoulder height. The trauma surgeon predicted I would never be able to raise my arm above shoulder height again.
Now the good news. After the surgery I had much less pain than before the injury. Before the accident I could not lift a gallon of milk straight armed from an upper shelf in the fridge. After recovery I returned to full time work with a limitation of no overhead lifting. I can lift and carry 150# or more to chest height. Below shoulder height it functions as good or better than before the accident. So I think it was a success. My left shoulder has as much arthritis as the right used to have, but is still pain free.

Thanks..sounds horrible on your end..glad you're ok ... My Knee surgeon told me I would have to retire from reupholstery business if I had shoulder replacement.. I can't and don't want to retire. The pain from the mid arm bicep area to my neck is tough..I have loose ROM due to the pain..I can't reach over to the other side and apply say deodorant ..without hurting so much..

I am seeing a top shoulder surgeon Tuesday to have xrays and him to check me out and talk to me. I have to see why I would have to retire,etc. I hope there is a compromise there somehow. You pick up 150lbs that's very good... I am large guy 6'2" and have been hauling furniture and working with my hands on many things since a child..my muscles are there now developed..just the joint.. I hope that makes a difference.

Unless there is an underlying problem I don't see why you couldn't return to work. Some of your methods may have to be adapted, but then again I'm not a doctor. I returned to hard physical labor with some limitations. The doctor said not to shoot shotguns and that was about it. Your shoulder will tell you what you can't do. One of the hardest things for me to do as I aged was to ask for help. Consult with your new doc. He will give you the best advice. But from my point of view as a shoulder recipient, I did return to work.

Thank you again.. I would be careful no doubt.. maybe there are certain ways of working it that are worse.. seems banging hard with a hammer all day every day I'm sure. Jerking it around hard... must be obvious as too what might hurt the joint or not.. I hope the surgeon does listen and gives a clear answer so I can make a decision without worry.
Not shooting my Shotgun Remington 870 Police Marine with Walnut stock will be tough... but do able.

thank you for replying ..as this forum doesn't move fast... How long did it take you before you were free to work the arm around.. you know like picking things up.. or cutting the grass etc. I had TKR's (one at a time) and not only was it painful the first couple of weeks or so I had to stay away from work for 6 weeks it seemed.. I was hiking lightly at 4 weeks.. but I'd rest up after that big time with Ice etc. I feel the shoulder will be different.. it's just how different. Hard to get clear answers on the web..

I don't remember exactly but I think I was imobilized for six weeks and then did another six weeks of rapid improvement. If I had pushed it, I could have been back at work before the entire twelve weeks was up. It will depend on you and your doctor for when you return to work. My advice is share your wishes with your doctor and follow his advice. But let PT and him know if you feel you can progress faster. But don't ruin the good work. Bones can heal in six weeks. Soft tissue can take much longer. You need both for a functional shoulder.

Interesting... immobilized for first six weeks? due to them saying to not use it so it will heal I suppose and not from swelling,etc. ..6 weeks piece of cake .. then the sling which is on for 24/7? for six weeks ? comes off? and what kicked in for you to do or not do?

Your biggest challenge will be lifting, short term, no lifting for 3 months, then slowly progressing to normal.
Reason is that the muscles need time to attach / reattach to bone and prosthesis.
My friend had both shoulders replaced, now plays golf, tennis, etc.
I have left shoulder schedule for June 2018.
My pain is bearable in daytime, if I avoid lifting, or repetition of activity, even with no load.
My pain is a challenge at night, sleep is a challenge.
Research "shoulder replacement" on YouTube. Be cautious, some content is questionable, but overall, good.
Most orthopedic doctors report shoulder replacement to be the best of big 3 (knee, hip, shoulder) for patient happiness in regards to pain elimination.
Good luck

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi