THR Should I or shouldn’t I

Nickship

Country
United States United States
Dec 2019 I broke my hip and they pinned it. The surgery didn’t work so a replacement was the next step. while getting a cardio clearance it was discovered I needed bypass surgery which was done may 21st 2020 Quintuple. 10 weeks after bypass I developed some small clots in lung and legs evidently because I could not exercise due to broken hip. I am on xeralto and motoprolol they are wanting me to have the surgery in about 4 weeks. I have a great cardiologist who has recommended I go out of town since we are a small community with a critical access hospital and she wants me where they have the equipment to respond if I have a Cardio event during or after surgery. I am 68 years old, 2 and 1/2 months since bypass and 3 weeks since clots. So that would put surgery at about 3 and 1/2 months from bypass and 7 weeks from clots. Any advice in whether I should wait or go for it ? It is kind of a circle I can’t exercise which increases my clot and cardio risk. Thank you

@Nickship
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:

You have really been through a lot this last year with your hip and heart, glad you are doing well enough to consider a THR.

You have a lot of considerations, I agree with your cardiologist, you will want to be at a larger hospital.
You are in a loop of inactivity and possible blood clots, and need to move forward. If you are confident and feel well enough then you should seriously consider having the THR.
You might want to go over your concerns with your primary physician to help you make your decision.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

:wave:@Nickship and so very glad you can join us here
while getting a cardio clearance it was discovered I needed bypass surgery which was done may 21st 2020 Quintuple.
Oh my stars....sounds like it is was a horrible thing to break your hip but Extremely Lucky to have found the blockages that would lead to the bypasses that no doubt saved your life!!!!:yes!:
I hope you could find a surgeon who will work with the heart doc to feel confident about getting this hip recovery show on the road so you can truly get back to healthy and happy.
I'm sure you don't feel lucky ..but I think it is amazing you got through this major heart surgery AND with a broken hip...you are one strong guy!

Sending good healing vibes your way.

@Nickship You have certainly had your share of bad luck with all this. The good news is recovery from THR is a cake walk compared to bypass recovery.

Can you get a recommendation of a surgeon from your cardiologist? Any orthopaedic surgeon will probably want to consult with your cardiologist before proceeding. I agree, you need to be in a hospital with cardio support just in case.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks folks, oh yes I will always credit the good Lord for letting me break my hip to save my life. I am probably the most grateful broken hip guy there is. As far as an orthopedic surgeon my past surgeon is working to find one he recommends that has privileges at the larger hospitals in the state. I am just waiting on his response and then the cardiologist will talk with the surgeon. My cardiologist is a character, after my recent echo she comes in and says where are you having surgery (she had just taken over the department so my first meeting with her) I said here and she says “nope” if you were my husband I would insist you go to a larger hospital that has the right equipment.

Your surgeon is spot on! And in most cases the orthopaedic surgeon will not operate on a cardiac patient without support facilities nearby.

How is your bypass recovery going? Are you feeling better? It's a tough recovery.

Actually the bypass recovery wasn’t so bad other than the food holding no appeal for 2 weeks and the fatigue. I had read some horror stories but other than the mind games where you think every small chest pain is a heart attack or your sternum splitting open I didn’t have issues. Hardest part for me was you are constantly warned don’t use your arms, well with a broken hip that just doesn’t work. The PT people didn’t know what to do with me and the OT people kept saying you can walk behind a walker or walk up steps with a handrail finally I got it through to them no I have a broken hip that doesn’t work. I was fortunate enough that after functioning with a broken hip for 6 months I had mastered hopping, spinning on one leg and getting up and down that I could adjust. It isn’t any fun but doable. My sternum healed fine and I slept like a Baby.

Wow - what a miracle bypass surgery is now. Sounds like you did very well even with a broken hip. You will be a master on the walker and I'll bet you transition off it very quickly since you already have experience. I hope you can get your surgery date soon.

Yes, you have officially been through the wringer. Lol. My husband had quadruple bypass at 50 but under the same Divine intervention scenario or I wouldn’t have him today. If all doctors agree to proceed and at an appropriate hospital, you should do fine. I’m sure you would like to get back on the road to good health and well-being and this hip is standing in the way, so to speak. Lol. My husband now goes on week-long bike rides and I have recently been able to join in on our recumbent tandem for a bit shorter jaunts. Between his fixed heart and my fixed hip, life is good and I certainly wish that for you. You will have your anxious moments, but I would encourage you to move forward. You’ll have great medical professionals around you and it won’t be their first rodeo. Keep us posted.

Your cardiologist and orthopedic surgeon both sound wonderful! I'm so happy you have both these people on your side as you navigate through all this. Please let us know how things go. We'll be here if you need us....even if you just need to talk a bit about everything that's going on in your life right now.

Small update: met with my cardiologist last week. She is recommending that I move forward on the surgery. She called the orthopedic surgeon while I was with her and encouraged him to find a surgeon for me at one of the larger hospitals which supposedly he had been working on. I also messaged him to please find a rated surgeon. We will see how it moves forward.

Excellent news. Let us know how it all shakes out.

Hello there :wave:
You’ve been through a lot and seem to be handling it very well. Sorry you had to endure all of that. You have a great attitude.
Best of luck with plans moving forward. Please keep us in the loop.
Wishing you comfort in the interim.
@Nickship

I'm glad you are going to get this hip show on the road...two legs are definitely better than one.:) :-) (:

:fingersx: that it is soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks