BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Should i have the same surgeon that performed my THR perform TKR?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Arlene56, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Arlene56

Arlene56 senior

United States United States
    Should one have the same surgeon who did THR perform TKR?

2. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Hi, Arlene. The answer is.....it depends.

It depends on how many knee replacements (not knee surgeries) he does each year. If he's doing 100-150 TKRs, then your chances of him being experienced with knees is pretty good.

It depends on how you feel about this surgeon....your confidence level.

Knees can sometimes be a bit trickier than hips because there are balancing issues with the knee that are not present with hips (although hips have their own challenges).

Years ago we used to advise our BoneSmarties to seek out a surgeon who specialized in knees only to give them the best opportunity for a successful surgery and recovery. Things have changed now and it's fairly common for a surgeon to do both hips and knees in such a volume that he is likely to be very proficient in the process. But if your surgeon does hips and knees plus other surgeries (shoulders, arthroscopic surgery, sports medicine procedures), you might want to talk to some different surgeons who are more specialized.

In some of the smaller clinics, you'll tend to see more "general" orthopedic surgeons who do a variety of procedures. That doesn't mean you would have problems with a knee done by a surgeon under those conditions. There are certainly some fine doctors out there. But, your chances for success will be better the more experience with TKRs your surgeon has.

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you contemplating having your left knee replaced, @Arlene56 ? I see from your signature that you had your right knee replaced in January 2019.

4. InkedMarie

InkedMarie graduate

My first hip was done by Dr F; he was supposed to do my other than my hip then knee 8 weeks later but he hurt his already crappy shoulder and had surgery himself. He is one of the two senior surgeons at the practice.

I felt I could not wait until he was back especially because he was doing knees first and I needed my hip to be done first.

So, I chose Dr. B,one of the newer surgeons who happens to be the traumatologist of the practice who does a lot of hips & knees. I figured if he could put people back together, he could do my replacements. I’m very glad I chose him to do both.

I still need the other knee done and part of me wants to go back to Dr F but Dr B did so well....no pain in either hip or knee that I will probably go to Dr. B.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Arlene56 In my case, I probably would! I met a couple women while waiting in my Surgeon's office and they were both singing his praises and doing as well as I was with my hip, we all had similar surgery dates.

I would follow Jamie's advice and confirm the number he does yearly, but as far as I can tell, he is capable.

each case is different and I wouldn't stay with him just our of loyalty. I need to see the stats!!

Good luck!

6. dogwalker2

dogwalker2 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had same surgeon do my hip in 2016 and my knee this June. Very happy with both.