Should I do one hip or both?

Brushis

Country
United States United States
My surgeon stated I need bilateral hip surgery . I’m wondering if I should do both at same time or do my right that hurts the worst first, Then do my left another date. It sounds like a lot of headache to do both at same time! I do not have a lot of help or time to waste due to work.

@Brushis
Only you can decide whether to do both at the same time... lots have done very successfully.

It would be better if you started a thread of your own in the hip pre op recovery area. That way others who have been there... done that... can comment to you.

If you go onto the main forum you will see how this is done.

But good luck with your decision... get lots of information from Bonesmart .. it really helps.

@Mojo333 - one of our gorgeous moderators had bi-lateral so hopefully she will comment for you.

Take care x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:wave:
My surgeon stated I need bilateral hip surgery . I’m wondering if I should do both at same time or do my right that hurts the worst first, Then do my left another date. It sounds like a lot of headache to do both at same time! I do not have a lot of help or time to waste due to work.

Welcome to bonesmart and would be happy to give you my thoughts, as my Both at Once Recovery worked very well for me. You need to begin your own preop thread so we don't derail this one
Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting
Hope to meet you there.

@Brushis .... Welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you joined our community. You'll notice that I've moved your post to a new thread I created for you in the hip pre-op forum. It's much better placed here so people who come and comment to you don't derail another member's thread.

If you need assistance finding this thread again, there is guidance under the Help & Information tab at the top of the page. Look for the link to How To Use This Forum and you'll find tons of helpful articles. The one that applies here is:

How can I find my threads and posts?

@Brushis: Hello from a fellow future double hippy! I have/had severe osteoarthritis in both hips so I am in your shoes, right down to which hip needs operating first!

Because of my issues, and that I consider myself to be proactive, I asked my OS if he could do both hips at once. He will not do so unless the patient is wheelchair bound and not walking. Therefore, I am having two consecutive hip replacements 8 weeks apart. Right hip done in July, Left hip done on 9/9-in 11 days. He is disabling me for 12 weeks on each with a four week overlap so it looks like I will be out of work at this point for at least 20 weeks, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

You are lucky your OS will afford you this option. Since time seems to be of the essence for you, it's definitely worth exploring more. Although I am not sorry now that my hips are being done consecutively, it would have been nice to at least have had the choice.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and there is a ton of information and support here on this forum. Keep us posted!

You mention time off from work, just how much time do you have or anticipate off from work? Even doing one at a time will require a lengthy period of time off if you have a physical job.

Hi.:wave: Lots of double hippys here...some simultaneous and some staged.:chuckmarch:
I had both mine replaced May 2017.
Glad to have new hips and my life back!:yes:
I'm taking from your post that your surgeon feels you are otherwise healthy and a good candidate for bilateral?

The advantages of bilateral total hip replacement can include one trip to the operating room instead of two, one anesthetic and therefore one hospitalization. Patients who are employed may find that they need less time off from work overall than if they were to recover from two hip replacements on two different occasions. Often recovering from one replacement with one equally bad hip can be difficult.

Yes I had another surgeon tell me I’m crazy for doing both but he did not have the correct table to do both. doctor referred me to Pittsburgh pa and they told me they could do both anterior and I would be fine!

Hi.:wave: Lots of double hippys here...some simultaneous and some staged.:chuckmarch:
I had both mine replaced May 2017.
Glad to have new hips and my life back!:yes:
I'm taking from your post that your surgeon feels you are otherwise healthy and a good candidate for bilateral?

The advantages of bilateral total hip replacement can include one trip to the operating room instead of two, one anesthetic and therefore one hospitalization. Patients who are employed may find that they need less time off from work overall than if they were to recover from two hip replacements on two different occasions. Often recovering from one replacement with one equally bad hip can be difficult.
Yes they told me I’m in good shape to have both done at the same time. Yes that’s what they told me that one new hip and my other bad could be a struggle! I’m just scared how much pain I’ll be in waking up!

You mention time off from work, just how much time do you have or anticipate off from work? Even doing one at a time will require a lengthy period of time off if you have a physical job.
I will be out 3-4 weeks for both they stated if every thing goes right. I have a desk job that’s why.

I was not in alot of pain when I woke up...guessing due to whatever they used during surgery.
I only had one brief time where pain got away for a few hours but they quickly adjusted my pain cocktail and kept it under control well.
I had anterior also and the biggest discomfort were very sore quads.
Like I had run a marathon (which I haven't ever done)
I was so surprised...That horrible Hip pain was gone immediately!
All uphill from there.
4 weeks for back to work seems very optimistic. Take as much time as you can get.

If it was a desk job at your house maybe, just my opinion. Just getting to anywhere might be a problem if you have to drive. Many that have one hip done take 3 MONTHS before returning to work so they are fully recovered.

I’m just scared how much pain I’ll be in waking up!
Your pain will be well controlled in recovery. Your priority just post op is to work with staff to get your pain management cocktail just right before you leave the hospital.
I will be out 3-4 weeks for both they stated if every thing goes right. I have a desk job that’s why.
Sorry to disappoint but 3-4 weeks for a single THR is very rare. For BTHR - I would plan on 10-12 weeks and have a nice surprise if you can shorten this. It's not just the recovery aspect. There is a significant energy drain post op. It's real and you just can't fight it.

Here are some of the articles we give all recovering hippies. They might give you a better idea of how this recovery progresses.

Activity progression for THRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

I was not in alot of pain when I woke up...guessing due to whatever they used during surgery.
I only had one brief time where pain got away for a few hours but they quickly adjusted my pain cocktail and kept it under control well.
All uphill from there.
4 weeks for back to work seems very optimistic. Take as much time as you can get.
Thank you so much for the support. I have decided to do both due to my pain level as of now can’t do much and it’s hard sleeping .

Your pain will be well controlled in recovery. Your priority just post op is to work with staff to get your pain management cocktail just right before you leave the hospital.
Sorry to disappoint but 3-4 weeks for a single THR is very rare. For BTHR - I would plan on 10-12 weeks and have a nice surprise if you can shorten this. It's not just the recovery aspect. There is a significant energy drain post op. It's real and you just can't fight it.

Here are some of the articles we give all recovering hippies. They might give you a better idea of how this recovery progresses.

Activity progression for THRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Thank you so much for your input . Having done in Pittsburgh pa I’m from New York to be in good hands.

:happydance:You can do this!
Scary for sure, but scarier is the prospect of being in chronic pain and totally sleep deprived...of which I was both!:blackcloud:
Your patience muscle will need to stay flexed...but well, well worth it.

I am back to an active happy full life and feel years younger.
Lots of other great double hippys about that we will conjour up for your cheering squad!
Your new moniker will be "Both at once!??":heehee:
I wear it with pride...and am so glad to have great new hips.:chuckmarch:

All uphill from there.
Thank you mojo I’m having both done due to they are both so bad . I’m still in terrible stiff and can not do much right now and sleeping is hard. I will take your word and If I need more time to recover it up to the doctor everyone heals up differently.

:happydance:You can do this!
Scary for sure, but scarier is the prospect of being in chronic pain and totally sleep deprived...of which I was both!:blackcloud:
Your patience muscle will need to stay flexed...but well, well worth it.

I am back to an active happy full life and feel years younger.
Lots of other great double hippys about that we will conjour up for your cheering squad!
Your new moniker will be "Both at once!??":heehee:
I wear it with pride...and am so glad to have great new hips.:chuckmarch:
I can’t Waite to have this done it started 10 years ago in my right hip then my left 1 year ago and I can’t Waite to get back into a bowling league again ! I quit that sport 10 years ago cause I could not bend over to throw the ball I was so embarrassed I had a 195 average and could not do it no more .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom