THR Should I be Concerned

The cane will also help with the other hip. I had a short time of relief after first hip replacement and then the other hip started with pain so out came the cane and I just had to switch which hand to hold the cane. The poles were easier since I had two of them and they helped both hips at the same time to take the pressure off and decrease pain when walking.

Here's my way of practicing better walking. I would go to the big box store near my house. I would park at the furthest cart corral that had a cart so I could easily get a cart and not need my cane or stick. I would then use the cart as a walking aid and walk slowly and purposely and do laps in the store. The cart made it easy to rest when needed and kept anyone from bumping me. Also I didn't need any walking aid so I just blended in. When done I'd walk out across the lot to my car and go home and ice.
The big trick with PT walking is go slow and walk with purpose. I also walked the small track at the park and had to constantly slow myself down to be sure I was using good form and now worrying about speed or distance.

Almost like they get trophy's or add a notch on their belts for breaking people.

:no-fin: :bignono: Double shame if they’re thinking that!
Well, you’re wise to them, and in charge, so we don’t have to worry about you....I think....I hope. :fingersx:
Have a wonderful weekend!
@rkoldschool@com
Tks Layla, coincidently I had the more aggressive PT yesterday but she apologized for hurting me and was much better. You have a great weekend as well.

Rob

Good to have someone acknowledge it and apologize. :) :-) (:
You are gracious...I would be thinking...
Now, just don't let it happen again:no-fin:

Hope your day is restful and healing...
All temporary, friend.:SUNsmile:

Happy Happy One Month Anniversary to you! :happydance:
Hopefully you’re feeling stronger and steadier week by week and enjoying your progress.
May it only get better. Enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@rkoldschool@com

Happy Happy One Month Anniversary to you! :happydance:
Hopefully you’re feeling stronger and steadier week by week and enjoying your progress.
May it only get better. Enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@rkoldschool@com
Tks Layla,
I wish that were the case. Stability is great, however; I reaggravated that pain in my thigh at therapy on Tuesday and it has yet to go away. Had to cancel PT for today unfortunately. I felt the twinge, which always happens first, when the PT was moving my leg around and I let her know right away. I felt it again when she was massaging my thigh near my IT band and around the incision. I told her right away "THAT'S IT, THAT'S THE PAIN". She said it doesn't seem muscular, could be nerve damage or still dealing with trauma in the soft-tissue. Regardless she went on to tell me that it's important to ensure my scar doesn't develop scar tissue that ties it to the soft tissue beneath and that I should massage it either side-to-side or in small circles. Problem is, I did that that evening for a while and since then I've been back in the same boat. So I'm really not sure what to think at this point. I've read a lot on different forums (sorry, don't want you guys to think I'm cheating on you) about PAD, Stem Pain and DVT but I honestly don't think it's any of those. I'm no Dr. but based on the severity of the pain and the reaction I experienced from massaging the area myself, I feel like it's either nerve related, soft-tissue trauma or possibly the scar pulling the soft tissue. Regardless, since then it's been back to the cane, constant ice and elevation. Hoping I get this figured out sooner rather than later.

Rob

Hi Rob,
Please try not to worry and if it‘s causing you great discomfort to massage the area right now, STOP. I rarely touched the area around my incision. I think a PT massaged it once early on and that was it and it healed just fine. The area is tender and can be for months to come. They cut through soft tissue and there is a lot of internal healing going on there.

or still dealing with trauma in the soft-tissue.

YES! You’re right.

Know this, you’re going to have pain and ups and downs. You’re only four weeks into the recovery game which can last a full year, even up to two years for some. My opinion, take it or leave it, I’d back away from PT for at least two weeks and loosely follow the guidance of the Activity Progression for THR while engaging in some dedicated icing and go from there. Try not to read too much and frighten yourself. Unless a pain is escalating and unrelenting, I’d take it day by day. I remember dealing with different areas of discomfort, I’d worry a bit then a couple days later it would be gone only to be replaced by something else. I finally gave up the worrying and here I am three years later doing just fine.

I guess we can forgive you cheating on us as long as you always come back and tell us we’re the best, lol. :wink:

I hope you have a nice weekend!

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

Hi Rob,
Please try not to worry and if it‘s causing you great discomfort to massage the area right now, STOP. I rarely touched the area around my incision. I think a PT massaged it once early on and that was it and it healed just fine. The area is tender and can be for months to come. They cut through soft tissue and there is a lot of internal healing going on there.

or still dealing with trauma in the soft-tissue.

YES! You’re right.

Know this, you’re going to have pain and ups and downs. You’re only four weeks into the recovery game which can last a full year, even up to two years for some. My opinion, take it or leave it, I’d back away from PT for at least two weeks and loosely follow the guidance of the Activity Progression for THR while engaging in some dedicated icing and go from there. Try not to read too much and frighten yourself. Unless a pain is escalating and unrelenting, I’d take it day by day. I remember dealing with different areas of discomfort, I’d worry a bit then a couple days later it would be gone only to be replaced by something else. I finally gave up the worrying and here I am three years later doing just fine.

I guess we can forgive you cheating on us as long as you always come back and tell us we’re the best, lol. :wink:

I hope you have a nice weekend!

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434
You guys are definitely the best. I appreciated the words of encouragement and wisdom. They definitely help. I'm definitely going to take your advice and lay off PT for the immediate future that is of course unless my Doc tells me something different at which point I'll probably just listen to my body. One day at a time. Tks again and you have a great weekend as well.

Rob

Glad you are going to lay off PT. If it's hurting then it is counterproductive.
Regardless she went on to tell me that it's important to ensure my scar doesn't develop scar tissue that ties it to the soft tissue beneath and that I should massage it either side-to-side or in small circles.
Sorry but this is a load of rubbish. Just leave your incision to heal on its own. It will fade to a very faint line. Right now it is traumatised and aggravating it will only result in more pain.

Glad you are going to lay off PT. If it's hurting then it is counterproductive.
Regardless she went on to tell me that it's important to ensure my scar doesn't develop scar tissue that ties it to the soft tissue beneath and that I should massage it either side-to-side or in small circles.
Sorry but this is a load of rubbish. Just leave your incision to heal on its own. It will fade to a very faint line. Right now it is traumatised and aggravating it will only result in more pain.
Tks Jaycey, I appreciate the input. You hear so many different things from different people so sometimes it's difficult to know what course is the correct one. Rest assured, I'm resting and recovering and allowing things to calm down on their own. Have a great weekend,

Rob

Quick Update!. Had my post-op follow-up with my OS yesterday. Was really looking forward to bringing up the pain I've been experiencing which thankfully is starting to subside with rest and ice. My appt was at 2pm (arrive by 1:30). Didn't actually see the Dr until 3:45 which I was not happy about at all but I understand when emergencies come up, normal post-op patients take a back seat. That conversation is for a different time. Anyway, Doc walked me through some movements, we discussed when the pain originates, how I can get it to subside etc and seems to believe I may have popped one or two of the sutures underneath my incision which is causing the sudden onset of sharp pain. Some of you will be happy to know that he also informed me that I no longer need to attend PT as structurally and muscularly I'm doing great. As for the scar massaging, he told me he wasn't really for or against it and told me the most important thing is to listen to my body, do what my body allows and rest when it doesn't. All-in-all, aside for the wait it was a great follow-up. Next up, 3-month post-op. Hope everyone has a great Thursday!!!

Rob

Thanks for updating, Rob. It sounds as though you’re making nice progress and your appointment with the OS went well. Too bad about the long wait! I like your surgeon’s advice to listen to your body. It seems there is not one formula fits all for this recovery.
Keep on keeping on, you’re doing great! :)
@rkoldschool@com

Thanks for updating, Rob. It sounds as though you’re making nice progress and your appointment with the OS went well. Too bad about the long wait! I like your surgeon’s advice to listen to your body. It seems there is not one formula fits all for this recovery.
Keep on keeping on, you’re doing great! :)
@rkoldschool@com
Tks Layla, definitely very happy that he wasn't as concerned with the pain as I was. When I asked him what shouldn't I do he simply said, I think you know that, your body will tell you so of course in retrospect I felt a little silly asking that but he was right. I'm on the mend and doing well. We'll see what the next day, week, month brings!!!

Some of you will be happy to know that he also informed me that I no longer need to attend PT as structurally and muscularly I'm doing great.
Just catching up and I am one of those some.:heehee:
Slow and easy were the recommendations I received from the seasoned happy hippys here, and I finally relented, listened, and was much better for it.
Hope all is continuing to go well...

Just stopped by to see how you are doing, glad to hear you are doing better!
Enjoy some nice easy walking and without the PT you will be feeling better and better!
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Seems like many of us felt a nice improvement at around three months. Soon, my hippie friend, soon!

I am not sure if this answers your question at all. Just curious if the PT that you are using is someone that your Doctor recommended?
Hi Michael. Tks for your input. My Surgeon believes in an aggressive PT regimen and did recommend my PT practice. I am however pretty positive that there is no communication between PT and my Surgeon and the PT's follow their own courses of action. I'll have to be a better advocate for myself next time.
Hi Michael, I recently had anterior hip replacement and my doctor ordered bed rest for three weeks. I was allowed up every two hours for twenty minutes. He feels it is very important for healing the hip and the soft tissue. At first I thought I would go crazy but it was a good time to catch up on books and movies. The only exercise I did while in bed was flexing my feet. After the three weeks I do side leg lifts and a couple other exercises. No pt!

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Rob!
Hopefully the last few weeks have been good for you and you continue to enjoy steady progress.
A wonderful week to you!
@rkoldschool@com
Tks Layla, just taking it slow and steady. I'm walking about 3-4 miles a day but not doing any heavy ROM stuff as I'm still making absolutely sure everything below the surface is healing the way it should. I feel a slight twinge every once in a while but nothing like before thankfully. Tks for reaching out!!!

Some of you will be happy to know that he also informed me that I no longer need to attend PT as structurally and muscularly I'm doing great.
Just catching up and I am one of those some.:heehee:
Slow and easy were the recommendations I received from the seasoned happy hippys here, and I finally relented, listened, and was much better for it.
Hope all is continuing to go well...
Tks Mojo. I'm feeling great, getting great exercise walking and feel like things are going really well. And I absolutely agree, slow and steady wins the race!!! tks for reaching out!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back