THR Should I be Concerned

:wave: @rkoldschool@com
I know you've already gotten lots of advice but when I began reading your thread, I had flashbacks of my different pains and also my over exuberant PT that I dropped.:nah:
Here's the crux of the issue, originally when walking my stride was extremely limited because I had a very sharp (felt like muscle tearing) or (someone stabbing me with a knife) in the center of my quad about 3-4 inches below my incision
I had that burning stabbing pain and sort of panicked...in my recovery thread, I was frantically seeking answers and was reaassured... normal, normal!

Last Wednesday my PT, as they always do, massaged my glute and quad area, primarily where the acute swelling still exists.
Ice and elevation is better...your leg is injured and healing and I dont think massaging it is helping.

At the following session last Friday I told my therapist about the increase in pain I'd experienced which she attributed to general healing, trauma from surgery, i.e. soft tissue agitation that the surgeon told me about as a result of surgery, using muscles correctly that I haven't been using correctly for a long time and general muscle soreness that comes along with PT.
The one thing I DO agree with your PT about. Time will be the best healer...and not overdoing anything at this point...including PT.

Continuing on with my session my PT did the same thing, i.e. worked me out, added a couple of minor flexion exercises btw like walking over cones frontwards and sideways, but also hopped on the bed and actively stretched my leg backward toward the rear increasing my range of mobility.
:flabber: No, no, no.
Dont like this at all.
I had bilateral anterior THR and this is not needed.
Unfortunately, to a carpenter...everything looks like a nail. Same with some therapists.
Fix every complaint with a tool in their toolchest when in reality, your body will heal fine on it's own with just walking, lots of rest and ice.
Listen to your body and it will tell you what is helpful and what is not.
Early days my friend, and well worth a patient recovery to get back to a full, healthy hip-pain free life.

I love my cohorts phrase
When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.

:wave: @rkoldschool@com
I know you've already gotten lots of advice but when I began reading your thread, I had flashbacks of my different pains and also my over exuberant PT that I dropped.:nah:
Here's the crux of the issue, originally when walking my stride was extremely limited because I had a very sharp (felt like muscle tearing) or (someone stabbing me with a knife) in the center of my quad about 3-4 inches below my incision
I had that burning stabbing pain and sort of panicked...in my recovery thread, I was frantically seeking answers and was reaassured... normal, normal!

Last Wednesday my PT, as they always do, massaged my glute and quad area, primarily where the acute swelling still exists.
Ice and elevation is better...your leg is injured and healing and I dont think massaging it is helping.

At the following session last Friday I told my therapist about the increase in pain I'd experienced which she attributed to general healing, trauma from surgery, i.e. soft tissue agitation that the surgeon told me about as a result of surgery, using muscles correctly that I haven't been using correctly for a long time and general muscle soreness that comes along with PT.
The one thing I DO agree with your PT about. Time will be the best healer...and not overdoing anything at this point...including PT.

Continuing on with my session my PT did the same thing, i.e. worked me out, added a couple of minor flexion exercises btw like walking over cones frontwards and sideways, but also hopped on the bed and actively stretched my leg backward toward the rear increasing my range of mobility.
:flabber: No, no, no.
Dont like this at all.
I had bilateral anterior THR and this is not needed.
Unfortunately, to a carpenter...everything looks like a nail. Same with some therapists.
Fix every complaint with a tool in their toolchest when in reality, your body will heal fine on it's own with just walking, lots of rest and ice.
Listen to your body and it will tell you what is helpful and what is not.
Early days my friend, and well worth a patient recovery to get back to a full, healthy hip-pain free life.

I love my cohorts phrase
When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.
Mojo, I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and provide insight. Thank you so much. I am very happy to know that that ungodly burning/stabbing that I experience from time to time is normal. And I absolutely love your cohorts phrase at the end. I think more than anything I need to be mindful that time is my friend and patience is a virtue that I need to heavily rely on at this time. I have PT today and I'm going to have a heart to heart with my therapist. I love being there and doing most of the exercises, they warm me up, get me moving, help me feel more confident etc, it's the one's I do not like at all that I'm going to tell them to drop from my regimen. Let you know how it goes. Tks again!!!! :)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

I'm 11 weeks out and super active. Especially in the early part of recovery it's difficult to hold back enough. I've successfully applied the go-for-it approach to hip replacement for both of my recoveries. I loved PT because it was the closest I've gotten to a real gym in months. But my sense here is OMG please stop. Chill and let it heal up. :ice: , elevate, and try to get this under control before your PT kills you. If it were me I would stop even at-home exercises until they didn't hurt and just walk. Multiple shorter walks were better for me. Test out the area with some gentle isometrics after a few days.

Welcome to BoneSmart! Great to have you, thanks for joining us.
It’s all been said and I agree with much of the advice you’ve received.

My two cents...
Good luck with your therapy appointment today. I hope you come to a workable agreement with your therapist. Always remember, you are the boss of PT, not visa versa.

A great week to you, Rob! :)
@rkoldschool@com

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

I'm 11 weeks out and super active. Especially in the early part of recovery it's difficult to hold back enough. I've successfully applied the go-for-it approach to hip replacement for both of my recoveries. I loved PT because it was the closest I've gotten to a real gym in months. But my sense here is OMG please stop. Chill and let it heal up. :ice: , elevate, and try to get this under control before your PT kills you. If it were me I would stop even at-home exercises until they didn't hurt and just walk. Multiple shorter walks were better for me. Test out the area with some gentle isometrics after a few days.
Thank you so much

My two cents...
Good luck with your therapy appointment today. I hope you come to a workable agreement with your therapist. Always remember, you are the boss of PT, not visa versa.

@rkoldschool@com
Tks Layla, I'll try to provide an update

Not really sure how to do this but wanted to provide a quick update about my day today. I attempted to contact my surgeon several times to no avail unfortunately. Got to therapy and everything went well until the point where I told them I would no longer be doing quad stretches. They asked me why and I expressed what had happened on Friday. They insisted they need to work on loosening those muscles and working on range of motion but I told them no. Even while lying on my side when the PT was massaging my acute swelling she attempted to pick up my leg and stretch it back and I said no, I'm not doing that. I thought to myself, what is it with these therapists. I said, I'm sorry I'm so guarded but that's how I got hurt on Friday. She said, you are extremely tight so we need to stretch that out so you can increase your stride and open your gait. When the therapist I had on Friday came by and asked how I was doing, the one I had today said "You hurt him" to which she replied, "I kinda figured I might have" and "maybe we pushed it a little too far but we really stretched that thigh out" to which I responded, "and I could barely walk all weekend" That said. It's obvious to me that their milestones are strength, mobility, flexibility, ROM etc. where as mine are stability, utility and limited pain. Anyway, just wanted everyone to know that I was an ideal advocate for myself today even amidst the perceived pressure therapists place on you. BTW, if I accomplished this update incorrectly and someone sees it, could you please help me post it correctly. Thanks guys!!

Anyway, just wanted everyone to know that I was an ideal advocate for myself today even amidst the perceived pressure therapists place on you.
Congratulations! You were an excellent advocate for yourself. Keep insisting that your therapists do it your way.

BTW, if I accomplished this update incorrectly and someone sees it, could you please help me post it correctly.
You did it correctly - exactly the way you should have done it.

@rkoldschool@com you updated just fine. Happy that you stuck to your guns today and didn't let them push you. Don't know that I, personally, would trust them anywhere near me. But that's me.

My OS wanted me to go to therapy as I had developed a pretty good limp so I was supposed to be going for gait training. Amazing the different exercises they wanted me to do that I felt had nothing to do with my gait. Finally had a good routine with my therapist when they moved her to another location much farther from my home.

Went to my next session, had the manager of the place. I immediately figured out I didn't much care for her by the way she spoke to other patients. Was questioning an exercise she wanted me to do and asked me where I did my therapist training at and how many years experience did I have. Told her that has nothing to do with it.

She had me get up on the table and lay on my stomach which I was uncomfortable about. She was pulling on my leg from the ankle, again questioned the purpose need for that and expressed fear that my implant would be loosened. Was told you're at 6 weeks, you're fine! Then she decided to adjust/manipulate my one Sacroiliac Joint, without being asked. Within 2 days I was in so much pain I could hardly take a breath or a step without wanting to pass out. Needless to say I never went back. Point is that yes, some of these folks only know one way to do things and don't factor in the individual.

Anyway, just wanted everyone to know that I was an ideal advocate for myself today even amidst the perceived pressure therapists place on you.
Congratulations! You were an excellent advocate for yourself. Keep insisting that your therapists do it your way.

BTW, if I accomplished this update incorrectly and someone sees it, could you please help me post it correctly.
You did it correctly - exactly the way you should have done it.
Tks Celle!!! Obviously I'm a newby so I appreciate the assist!!!

My two cents...

@rkoldschool@com
Thank you Layla, you as well! :)

@rkoldschool@com you updated just fine. Happy that you stuck to your guns today and didn't let them push you. Don't know that I, personally, would trust them anywhere near me. But that's me.

My OS wanted me to go to therapy as I had developed a pretty good limp so I was supposed to be going for gait training. Amazing the different exercises they wanted me to do that I felt had nothing to do with my gait. Finally had a good routine with my therapist when they moved her to another location much farther from my home.

Went to my next session, had the manager of the place. I immediately figured out I didn't much care for her by the way she spoke to other patients. Was questioning an exercise she wanted me to do and asked me where I did my therapist training at and how many years experience did I have. Told her that has nothing to do with it.

She had me get up on the table and lay on my stomach which I was uncomfortable about. She was pulling on my leg from the ankle, again questioned the purpose need for that and expressed fear that my implant would be loosened. Was told you're at 6 weeks, you're fine! Then she decided to adjust/manipulate my one Sacroiliac Joint, without being asked. Within 2 days I was in so much pain I could hardly take a breath or a step without wanting to pass out. Needless to say I never went back. Point is that yes, some of these folks only know one way to do things and don't factor in the individual.
Tks for sharing Elf, I almost wonder if they charge for different things they do during sessions with patients meaning the more they do the more they charge insurance. I sure hope that isn't the case but needless to say, that definitely will not be happening to me. At least not until I get an explanation and approval from my surgeon.

Glad you stood your ground.
I too had a particularly rough therapy session at one week post op and told my OS about it the next day at my first follow-up appointment.
Told him I wasn't going back until I felt healed up enough to do so, which was close to 8 weeks I believe for some targeted gait training at a different therapy group.
Your OS DOES need to know about how your experience went with the folks you were assigned to.

Can I get you to share your actual surgery date on your right hip ?
We will add this information to your signature so it will be easier to see how far along you are.

Hope today is a Good Day.:SUNsmile:

Hello! RKoldschool :wave:

I just read through your thread and whew! You are taking all of this so calmly and I commend you on that. But geez, Louise! The PT office you are going to concerns me. Sadly, if you stay with them, you will need to be on your guard at every session.
Stretching tight muscles, recently injured during surgery, isn't helpful and can irritate the nerves at the end of the muscle attachments and give you a good dose of tendonitis, at the very least. I think that is what your brother was explaining to you, too.
That being said, I am so impressed by your knowing to ask questions and then saying NO to the stretching and excessive PT. Good for you!

Stay diligent, and please know that you won't do any harm to your recovery by taking it slower and easier.

@rkoldskool.com
Click-treat for being your own best advocate!
Soon these things will no longer hurt and there will be plenty of time to work further on stretching, ROM, etc.

Glad you stood your ground.
I too had a particularly rough therapy session at one week post op and told my OS about it the next day at my first follow-up appointment.
Told him I wasn't going back until I felt healed up enough to do so, which was close to 8 weeks I believe for some targeted gait training at a different therapy group.
Your OS DOES need to know about how your experience went with the folks you were assigned to.

Can I get you to share your actual surgery date on your right hip ?
We will add this information to your signature so it will be easier to see how far along you are.

Hope today is a Good Day.:SUNsmile:
Tks for the vote of confidence. My hip is getting much better and I'm gaining the same confidence i had a week ago prior to the intense therapy session. I apologize for not adding my date. Being new to the forum I'm still trying to figure things out. My surgery was July 20th 2020. Thanks again for helping

Hello! RKoldschool :wave:

I just read through your thread and whew! You are taking all of this so calmly and I commend you on that. But geez, Louise! The PT office you are going to concerns me. Sadly, if you stay with them, you will need to be on your guard at every session.
Stretching tight muscles, recently injured during surgery, isn't helpful and can irritate the nerves at the end of the muscle attachments and give you a good dose of tendonitis, at the very least. I think that is what your brother was explaining to you, too.
That being said, I am so impressed by your knowing to ask questions and then saying NO to the stretching and excessive PT. Good for you!

Stay diligent, and please know that you won't do any harm to your recovery by taking it slower and easier.
Thanks Cricket. It's funny to me because while this is my first hip, this is not my first joint replacement. I had my shoulder done in 2006 and this is much easier so of course I feel like the entire process is easier. I think the self advocacy piece might be difficult for someone who is a little shy or inhibited but that's not me at all and I have absolutely no problem telling someone no. Hopefully moving forward though things get better. We shall see. I always go into each PT session hoping for the best. If at any point I don't like what's happening I immediately speak up.

@rkoldskool.com
Click-treat for being your own best advocate!
Soon these things will no longer hurt and there will be plenty of time to work further on stretching, ROM, etc.
Thanks Hipster. I'm sure hoping that's the case.

@rkoldschool@com this is a very busy thread!!

Your description of that quad pain brought back a memory which I'd filed under "don't need to remember"! I had that with right hip, and may have with left as well. Like a charlie horse.
Your PT sounds absolutely bonkers! I am glad you are advocating for yourself. I did in-home PT for a few weeks with #1, but none at all with #2 except ankle pumps for circulation and glute squeezes because it felt good. Your ROM is in there, but causing more pain and swelling will not coax it out at all!

@rkoldschool@com this is a very busy thread!!

Your description of that quad pain brought back a memory which I'd filed under "don't need to remember"! I had that with right hip, and may have with left as well. Like a charlie horse.
Your PT sounds absolutely bonkers! I am glad you are advocating for yourself. I did in-home PT for a few weeks with #1, but none at all with #2 except ankle pumps for circulation and glute squeezes because it felt good. Your ROM is in there, but causing more pain and swelling will not coax it out at all!
hahaha. By busy do you mean unorganized? Being a newby to this it's often difficult to find out if someone posted in response to my original post or just liked one of the responses. Needless to say, Yes, that pain can go away and never come back. It's horrific. So I'm guessing you didn't real any different having completed no organized PT with #2 than you did with #1 or was there difference that you had to work out over time? Tks

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back