TKR Should I ask surgeon to correct bow legs when replacing knee?

Badbone

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Going in on the 18th Sept 2021, in two days so probably a bit late for this. I need both knees doing and have gone bow legged. I forgot to ask the surgeon about what would happen between the operations, will they straighten my first operated leg which may leave me with a limp between operations or will they match the length to the other leg, then do the same on the second operation. Will this will leave me shorter than before.

@Badbone
:welome: to BoneSmart!
Most likely your surgeon will correct your bowlegs. Between surgeries you may need a lift for the un operated leg. Your PT with the first TKR can help you with that.

@Roy Gardiner had both of his bowlegged knees done at the same time. I have tagged him to come and comment about his experience.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I didn't think to ask about bow legs and it was a great and pleasant surprise when they were straight. AFAIK it's part of the package, but it might be worth checking with the surgeon.

Why not have both knees done at once? One surgery, one recovery.

Thank you for the quick and helpful reply. As it happens my wife has always used a single shoe heel lift due to one femur bring slightly longer than the other so know where to get them from.

Moderator comment, this post has been approved to be in this pre op thread (Jockette)

Although I am now at day fifteen after the TKR and doing as expected by my surgeon, may I share a few pre op preparations I wish I had done.
Start on anti constipation meds the day before the op, you will almost certainly have problems due to the pain killer drugs, do not wait until you are fighting constipation as well as the post op situation.
Make up a few blocks of different sizes to rest your leg on, preferably with a non slip bottom surface if like me you have laminate flooring. a few angled wedges help as you strive to find a comfortable position to sit and for when you are elevating your leg.
I was surprised by the 'log leg', whereby some of the muscles in the operated leg just refuse to work for over a week. I became scared there was permanent nerve damage, it seems it is your bodies response to a major injury prevent movement to stop further damage. It will improve, annoyed none of the pre op advice mentioned this worrying thing.

You can read about Badbone’s recovery here:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member