BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Shopping for a surgeon

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by NewHipat32, Sep 14, 2017.

1. NewHipat32

NewHipat32

United States United States
    Hi,

I was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis (Osteonecrosis) of both the hips a few weeks after my 31st birthday. The only long term solution for the pain and the walking supports is a THR. Anyone in North West Arkansas who has undergone the surgery in this area?
    I am looking for surgeon recommendations! Any feedback/ experience would be more than welcome!

2. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can't help in regards to the surgeon recommendation because I'm in the UK but @Jamie probably can.

But I can certainly give you oodles of advice about AVN and hip replacement - any questions, ask away!
    These might be good for a start!

Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

I don't have any specific surgeons from Arkansas on my list, but an excellent place to start in your search is with our BoneSmart Clinic locator. The link is in a tab at the top of the page. If you find some surgeons you think might be good, I'd be happy to check them out for you. Just post their names here and tag me.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. NewHipat32

NewHipat32

Thank you @Josephine and @Jamie!

I have found a doctor - Dr. Michael Maline at Agility Centre Orthopedics in Bentonville, Arkansas. Could you check him out if you have any feedback on him? I have not been able to get much apart from his bedside manner from one fan patient :)

Here is the link: http://www.agilitycenterorthopedic.com/ @Jamie

5. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

You're right that there's not a lot of information out there. One thing I noticed, though, is that he seems to "specialize" in a pretty wide variety of orthopedic conditions as well as "sports medicine." This sometimes can mean that the surgeon does not do a significant number of hip replacement surgeries. Especially with the anterior approach (which he indicates is his preferred approach), you need an experienced surgeon. That means one who does at least 150 hip replacements (not "hip surgeries") annually.

When you go talk with him (remember it's an interview for you to see if he suits you or not), ask how many hip replacements he does each year. Also ask how many of his hip patients had AVN and how he approached their treatments. You will also want to know if he frequently deals with younger patients like yourself.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. NewHipat32

NewHipat32

Thank you, @Jamie !
    I have seen him once prior to posting here, I think I need a second round of interview...also, any experience with porous ceramic implants?

7. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Your surgeon will chose the implant that they have the most experience using taking into consideration your medical condition and lifestyle. Don't get to hung up on the implant. It's the surgeon's skill and experience you need to focus on.

8. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Yep, Jaycey is right. Ceramic implants are fine. So are the others that are used. It's really not a big deal in spite of what the manufacturer's advertising might say. The key is the skill of your surgeon. That's why I advised you to discuss the number of surgeries he does each year. That's the critical thing!

9. alexthecat

alexthecat Administrator

I have a ceramic implant. It's fine after more than seven years. I don't have anything to compare it to though. I'm sure I'd be just as happy with something else. As Jamie and Jaycey said, the skill and experience of the surgeon are the most important factors.

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk