THR Shiney Happy Hip

Hi @rainmaker ,
Thank you for the update. I'm very pleased you unoperated leg does not present any trouble now. So far, mine has been ok, too. Let's hope this will last. Enjoy your summer and your cycling. Best wishes - Constanze

:hi:Happy belated one year Hipversary @rainmaker!:flwrysmile:
Wishing you a great summer!:SUNsmile:

So glad to hear that you are feeling even better than yourself! Sounds like you've surpassed your pre-surgery life, that is so awesome!! I didn't have as much trouble as you, but I did get to a point where I thought I'd never get back to my pre-surgery life...or better. I still have some work to do to get back in shape, but I'm getting there, and I still have a month and a half or so before I hit my 1 year anniversary. Congratulations!!

@Constanze - cycling update for you: I did 80km in 3 hours on Saturday, and felt strong. I'm starting get properly fit again, after 3-4 years of struggling. How are you?

Woohoo! That's awesome!
Look at you go :bicycle1:
Love hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by.
I hope you have a wonderful week! @rainmaker

We'll just pretend it's you :heehee:
It's better than this one > :bicycle2: We don't want to see you doing any of that, lol.

Excellent @rainmaker. You're a champion. I don't cycle that fast. However, in May, I did over 1000 km altogether in 3 weeks. We had our annual "Stadtradeln" (= city cycling). It's an initiative by the Climate Alliance and the idea is to encourage more people to cycle to save CO2. Various cities in Germany take part. My employer has a team for Langen (near Frankfurt) where it is located, and that team takes part every year. So, for my team I cycled to work every day and back (54 kms there and back), at the weekend, I did shopping on my bike and at one weekend went on a 230 km tour from my home in Flörsheim to Bad Kreuznach on the Nahe River (Nahe river = famous for its wines). It was a great tour through the meadows near the Nahe and the weather was fine.
Felt exhausted at the end of the 3-week period but happy, because I'm the member with the most kilometers for my team.

Today its above 30°C here in the Rhine-Main area. What's the weather like in the UK? Best from Constanze

@Layla - definitely NOT falling off, been there and done that in the past.
Now the thought of falling on the replacement hip is...:no-fin: followed by :tantrum: and then :gaah:

@Constanze - 1000km in 3 weeks is VERY GOOD INDEED! Also great that your employer supported the Stadtradeln - anything that gets people out of cars and onto two wheels. We need more of that in the UK. Well done! Hope you sampled some of the Nahe wines on your tour?

The weather has been nice here, it was 25 C on Saturday. But now it's windy and it's going to be wet tomorrow and for the rest of the week. However, I plan to get a ride in this evening before it comes. I used to be about 5km per hour quicker. I'm giving myself this summer to get back to something like my old form. I think age will count in against me in the end though...maybe those days will never come back. Still, I'm loving being back on my bike.
Take care, Rainmaker:blackcloud:

@dogchick - sorry for the late reply. I'm sure you will get it all back - don't give up, especially if you are still seeing some improvement, no matter how slow. I had not really healed
completely
internally until my anniversary was up (apparently it can take 11-14 months) and so I realised it's no good being too pushy - need to be patient, as the moderators often tell us. You've still got a month till your first year... good luck with the continued recovery ! :yay:

@rainmaker I'm just now seeing this. Thank you for the encouragement. Today is my 1 year anniversary. I'm not totally there yet, but it's slowly getting better. :yes:

Hi @Mojo333 @Layla @Constanze and everyone else who remembers me,

How are you all managing during the Covid-19 crisis?

Luckily I'm thriving, nearly 2 years after my THR. I have lost quite a lot of weight in order to give the hip the best chance of outliving me - and to go faster on the bike! I'm fully back into my cycling now, covering 150 - 200 miles per week. Walking took a year or more to feel natural again, but I'm able to walk 5 miles cross country no trouble and am generally very active. And (importantly) my left hip has not deteriorated over the last year, so the prospects of another operation are now in the dim and distant.

One thing I would share: I found that muscles in my hips and pelvis, especially the piriformis muscles and hamstrings, really tightened up once I started being seriously active again. I realised what was happening about 6 weeks ago and started stretching them every day and after exercise. The results were dramatic - I found they were super-tight, and once they'd loosened up a lot of discomfort that I thought I'd just have to learn to live with went away. My mobility improved a lot too. You only need 2 x 5 minute sessions a day.

All the best everyone, stay safe & well.

:wave:@rainmaker
So glad to see your update!
:loveshwr:
Living life large...healthy and happy.
Makes all that recovery stuff So Worth It...
I realised what was happening about 6 weeks ago and started stretching them every day and after exercise. The results were dramatic - I found they were super-tight, and once they'd loosened up a lot of discomfort that I thought I'd just have to learn to live with went away. My mobility improved a lot too. You only need 2 x 5 minute sessions a day.
I found this to be true also...Great Advice!

Re the virus, I think it is great to social distance, but get out...fresh air and sunshine rock!

Hi @rainmaker
So pleased to read from you again and that you are happy cycling. It's been my 5th hip anniversary this month and my operated hip is brilliant. My unoperated hip hasn't deteriorated either.

Concerning the Covid-19 restrictions: I'm finding it hard. I miss my daughters, and I'm someone who likes travelling and meeting people. I also take part in races (marathon, triathlon). I can work from home as a translator, but the working conditions at home are not ideal.

I'm lucky that running or cycling alone or with someone from the same household is allowed. This is what I do a lot. I also go for walks and cycle rides in the countryside with my husband. I'm sorry for all the children. Must be hard not meeting their friends and not being allowed to play on playgrounds.

There's light at the end of the tunnel because many companies are working hard on the development of a vaccine. And my employer, a German authority has just authorised a clinical trial for such a vaccine, which has been developed by a company in Mainz. It will take at least 18 months, though, until such a vaccine becomes available. Meanwhile we'll have to hold out. Keep up the good cycling.

And please make some rain for us, so the flowers in my garden can grow. And the German forests need it, too.

Hello and a Happy Friday!
Thanks for stopping by, it’s so nice to hear from you. :)
Wow, only two weeks away from your anniversary. An early Happy Two Year anniversary to you! It’s wonderful to hear how well you’re doing and an inspirational testament to those following behind you. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Congrats on your weight loss and the ability to engage in all of the physical activity you’re enjoying. Long may it continue.
Be safe and stay well!
@rainmaker

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom