THR Shiney Happy Hip

Hi @rainmaker
I enjoyed reading an update from you this morning.
Strange that you had so much discomfort. However, I have read that while cortisone injections provide pain relief they might be unhealthy if used on a Long-term Basis (adverse effects). Many of the moderators on Bonesmart indeed prefer resting, icing the area affected by the pain, and elevating. Could your discomfort be due to overuse? Did you do any hard physical work or one-sided exercise. Then resting might be a good idea. In fact, I had discomfort/pain earlier this year in both my legs. It was so bad that friends and relatives almost thought that maybe my hip operation had gone wrong. Luckily this was not the case. But it took me a long time to get rid of the discomfort and I had to stop running for several weeks. I resorted to non-weight-bearing exercise like cycling and swimming. Expecially crawl swimming can relieve your pain. I also did a Little bit of googling and found out that runners often have a weak gluteus medius and found some exercises to strengthen it. Here is a link for example:

https://yurielkaim.com/gluteus-medius-exercises/

but there are many others. So, I believe, cortisone injections, would be a sort of last resort treatment of choice.

My legs and my eyes continue to be fine. I actually enjoy driving in the dark again.

Meanwhile there still hasn't been a lot of rain in the Frankfurt area - only on and off. And fuel supplies are running low because ships can't carry the full load when driving up the Rhine and the Main rivers. So they've decided to use their "iron reserve" which they haven't done for decades. I hope it won't be an extremely dry cold and windy winter, because that would make me feel uncomfortable.

I wish you all the best for your leg and no more discomfort.

Constanze

Quick update: things continued to go downhill with my left hip. Eventually had an MRI scan and it's been confirmed that I have 'moderate degeneration' of the left hip. I am seeing the surgeon who did my May 2108 right hip THR in 3 weeks time. Looks like I'll have to go through it all again this year.

:hi: and welcome back.
Sorry you aren't getting to enjoy lefty, due to right's antics.:unsure:
I am glad you are not trying to put this off, however.
You know we will be here to cheer you on.
:yes:

Thanks @Mojo333 - I was always destined to be a repeat offender !

There's no way I'd put it off as I'm back to lots of pain & stiffness after walking a mile or two. The only thing that concerns me is the future and the prospect of wearing out the new hips and havingrevision surgery. I am planning to keep the exercise going (nothing high impact, all gym work and static bike 3 or 4 times per week) and will try to lose a few pounds.

Is there anything else I can do to maximise the life the replacements? All the best to you.

Looks like I'll have to go through it all again this year.
Been there - done that! Sorry #2 is going downhill. The good news is once this one is done you can get on with living life again. You will be so delighted when both hips are done!
Is there anything else I can do to maximise the life the replacements?
The latest research indicates implants are lasting 25+ years these days. Avoid high impact activities and things like bungee jumping or parachuting. Technology is on our side!

I had both mine replaced at the ripe old age of 53 so I would be lying if I said that thought has never crossed my mind.
We live in a time where they are getting these bionic hips right, so I might be the eternal optimist...but I expect mine to last my lifetime. 25+ years is not uncommon.

Personally, I don't think high impact activity is good for joints, so I choose not to do anything jarring for my hips.
I am more careful about lifting heavy things (I'm pretty strong..for a girl) and I don't do things like jumping off the back of trucks which I never used to give a thought about.
I have never been a weightlifter, tennis player or runner, though many on the forum have gone back to these activities as they are big parts of their lives.

Let's get this done...and keep the faith that these are our forever hips!:tada:

Hi @rainmaker
Many thanks for your friendly update. Sorry your other hip is causing you pain. But do continue to report here how the appointment at the surgeon was and all that...
I'm confident that your next recovery period, when you get to that stage, will be as good as your first one. I'd agree that these new implants are so robust today that they last a life time. I'm one of these people who have carried on running after my hip replacement. I practice fore-foot running - I've learned it treats the hip joint more gently than heel striking. But then again, I was a runner of many year previous to my hip replacement. Did a half-marathon in a forest near my workplace, yesterday. Tried hard and did it in 2 hours 3 minutes - one minute better that last year. But it was freezing in the morning.
My right hip seems to behave and doesn't need replacing yet.
Whatever - I wish you good luck with the next hip.
Meanwhile - can you make some rain for the Frankfurt area. I'm afraid that we will probably face another crop failure. However, last year's wine is expected to be very good because of the hot sunshiny weather. I like right next to a wine area (where the Rhine wine is grown).
Best - Constanze

Thanks for the advice everyone, and for the optimism ! I have read a few things about replacement deterioration which aren't quite as optimistic, but here's to hoping they have to pick mine out of the ashes :snork:

And congratulations @Constanze for such a quick half marathon time!! Amazing. Now I cannot run for a bus!! I used to be a keen road runner until about 5 years ago. Sometimes I wonder if that didn't do my hips any good, but there we are...too late to worry now. More from me when I've seen Mr. Sawbones in March.

Just a quick footnote for those who might be in a similar situation: an x-ray didn't show the damage to my left hip, it took an MRI to reveal the full extent of it. Worth considering if like me you're getting quite a lot of pain but have relatively 'sound' x-ray results.

Hi @rainmaker
Welcome back! Im sorry it's under these circumstances that we begin communicating again.
In re-familiarizing myself with your thread you mentioned you knew you'd be a repeat offender, lol. I'm sure you hoped it wouldn't be this soon. I'm walking the same path, biding my time, not really knowing how long it may be before I need my other hip replaced. I understand your feelings.

As far as the longevity of the prosthesis and the concerns of Revision, I struggle with that also if I dwell on it. I choose not to entertain it only because it's out of our control. All we're really promised is today, and not even that for some of us, so I choose not to dwell on what may never affect me. When those thoughts do creep in I console myself with the hope that there will be great advances made since my original surgery. While you do have a choice, don't have the surgery and live with the pain, possibly in a wheelchair, it becomes a no-brainer. At our age, looking back, we realize how many things we stressed over, most often for naught.

You can do this! I know you will choose the surgery and I'll bet you do great just as you did last time. After all, why not? You know we'll be here with you every step of the way, cheering you on and encouraging you.

I hope you have a great week. Let us know how your appt goes.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you move forward.

@Layla - Wise words. You're right - I might not even be around to complain that my implants 'only' lasted 20 years. So live in the present. Amen to that.

Hi @rainmaker
Happy Ten Month Anniversary!
Boy oh boy, time flies! You'll be celebrating your one year anniversary in the blink of an eye.
Let us know how your upcoming visit with the surgeon goes. I'm sorry you have to go through this all again
but I know you'll face it like a champ. :yes!:
Please keep us posted.

Hi @Layla and everyone,

Update: I saw the surgeon about 3 weeks ago and he recommended an x-ray guided injection in the left hip. He said this could provide significant relief - no promises - and would help to confirm the diagnosis. Apparently if the pain and discomfort recede immediately when they give you the preparatory anaesthetic, it acts as confirmation. He said some patients who find the injection very effective and it prolongs the life of the joint considerably, but for others it is much less successful.

I am having the injection on Friday. Can anyone tell me what to expect - especially in terms of how quickly I can resume normal activity afterwards - and any side effects to watch out for? I'm interested in other people's experience. Interestingly, the hip has settled down a lot in the last 10 days. After 8 months of being increasingly troublesome it is now possible for me to walk 2-3 or miles without feeling exhausted and very sore. I don't understand...but I'm enjoying it whilst it lasts.

It's like taking the car to the shop and it don't make "that noise":oyvey:
I never had a cortisone injection but I know @Fairydell had one as well as several others.
Hopefully they will pop by to relay their experience.

As far as afterwards, the protocol appears to be: Apply ice to the injection site as needed to relieve pain. Watch for signs of infection, including increasing pain, redness and swelling that last more than 48 hours.
I'm sure they will give you specific instructions.

@rainmaker do check out Bristol University's recent comprehensive research on longevity of replacement hips. Much longer than previously thought! And get your second one done. It's the best thing IMHO.

Hi @rainmaker!
I had the diagnostic x-ray guided injection you mention about 6 months ago. I had about 48 hours pain-free but sadly, that was all. I assume that was confirmation as I am now waiting for a surgery date. The injection was totally painless with the general anaesthetic and I was just told to rest for the rest of that day, then resume all normal activities, which I did. I had a small plaster on the injection site, removed 3 days later.
No subsequent pain. However, I did have insomnia and "flushing" of the face - very common side-effects apparently.
I really hope you can get some relief from this injection.

Hi @Layla and everyone,

Update: I saw the surgeon about 3 weeks ago and he recommended an x-ray guided injection in the left hip. He said this could provide significant relief - no promises - and would help to confirm the diagnosis. Apparently if the pain and discomfort recede immediately when they give you the preparatory anaesthetic, it acts as confirmation. He said some patients who find the injection very effective and it prolongs the life of the joint considerably, but for others it is much less successful.

I am having the injection on Friday. Can anyone tell me what to expect - especially in terms of how quickly I can resume normal activity afterwards - and any side effects to watch out for? I'm interested in other people's experience. Interestingly, the hip has settled down a lot in the last 10 days. After 8 months of being increasingly troublesome it is now possible for me to walk 2-3 or miles without feeling exhausted and very sore. I don't understand...but I'm enjoying it whilst it lasts.

Hi, I had one in November last year and it didn't make the slightest difference to me. Hopefully it will work for you. My own GP doesn't like them as he says it's only a temporary relief .. if they work.. Make the most of the respite from pain. It's a real blessing when it happens but don't please assume it will disappear and never come back.

I had an injection which only provided short term gain. I was encouraged to try the non-operative route but ended up with more damage to my hip and possibly a longer recovery as a result.

Hi @rainmaker
Thanks for the update. It looks like you're getting some feedback. It sounds like a roll of the dice with the cortisone injection. No certainty in the outcome. All I can do is wish you the best and hope you're one of those it brings some long lasting relief. It's good to read your hip has settled a lot over the past week and a half allowing you to walk 2-3 mi fairly effortlessly.

Wishing you only the best on Friday. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
I hope you have a nice week!

Hi All,

Well, today is my 1st anniversary. One year on, and what a peculiar year :)

I thought I was having a great recovery until week 6. Then my left hip started to deteriorate. Around month 7, I was having trouble walking again and by month 9 I'd cut out recreational walking altogether and was contemplating another replacement. An x-ray showed little change (?) but an MRI confirmed 'moderate degeneration' of the joint. The surgeon recommended a cortisone injection, advising me to delay as long as possible before surgery. I agreed: I really didn't want to go through it all again inside 12 months.

Then, somehow, about 10 days before the injection, my left hip started to improve.

It was so much better by the day before that I contemplated not having the injection. Anyhow, I went ahead. I didn't get the immediate relief some people report, but then my pain levels were well down by that time. Since then, I have seen continued improvement. I can't quite believe it, but I am now walking the dog for 3 miles over country regularly. At Easter, inspired by the lovely weather, I felt good enough to get my bike out again. I've now clocked up 300 miles and am looking forward to a long summer of cycling. Pain in the left hip has almost completely receded. I do get some discomfort in the operated hip if I use it strenuously, but it doesn't last - mostly soft tissue I think.

Not only do I have my life back, but in terms of mobility and pain levels, it's a life I haven't lived for about 4-5 years!! I'm truly grateful, and try to enjoy every day anew.

I think that the replacement threw my posture and gait out so much that I was loading the left hip completely differently. I know this is true because my shoe wear was markedly different pre and post operation. I struggled to walk 'normally' for a long time. As I normalised my gait - and as the right hip healed - the left hip started to have the load taken off it.

Anyhow, things are just fine at the moment. All those doors that close with hip pain are now open again - it's liberating. Thanks to all of you who've supported me and offered kind advice and experience over the last year - it's truly appreciated. :happydance:

Hi @rainmaker
What a lovely update. Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to hear from you.

Updates such as yours are not only heartwarming to us walking the same road, but also to those following behind in recovery, or contemplating surgery.

Its great to hear your Left Hip stopped bothering you, for whatever reason. May it be long lasting.
It's truly a beautiful thing to be living life again through the second chance this surgery gives us. I couldn't be any happier for you! Please stay in touch with periodic updates and should your other hip begin acting up again, we'll be here for you.
Wishing you a wonderful Spring and Summer!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom