BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Shiner's recovery thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Shiner, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Shiner

Shiner new member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Where should I be at 7 weeks and what pain should I feel

2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
    How about you give us a bit more information such as the date of your surgery and which hip was replaced.
    If you're dealing with pain, please be more specific and we'll try to help, or involve the forum Nurse if it's something we're unable to address.

Following are the Recovery Guidelines of which much will still pertain to you in early recovery.
    Hope to hear from you soon. We'd love to support you on the journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide to

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Shiner

• Like Like x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Read the article about recovery progress. That should tell you most. But you need to read all the other articles too, especially the one towards the bottom starting "THE BIG TIP"

• Like Like x 1
  4. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

After reading many different posts, the answer to your question about where you should be at 7 weeks is incredibly varied. Some folks are walking longer distances unaided, and others are still using canes and walkers. Some are having lots of pain, while others are relatively pain free. Some on pain pills still, and some mainly using ice and Tylenol. Which is a very roundabout way of saying, that as long as you are making progress, getting better and more functional each day, you are right where you need to be. :)

If you feel you aren't making adequate progress, be sure to ask your specific questions here on the Forum and see what others have to say about it. And if you really are concerned, be sure to check back in with your surgeon and ask any questions that you have.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shiner

Shiner new member

Thank you for your replies, I had my left hip done 11 December 2018 and have been walking without aid at all for the past 5 weeks which is great but I have pain in my left knee now which is bad in the mornings especially. Not sure if laying on my non operative side is causing this. The hip is painful when walking but otherwise pain free when sitting. Im sure that my progress is on track and have found this forum very interesting and helpful thank you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi Shiner,
    Thanks for the update. I'm wondering how long you've had the pain in your left knee, which is your op leg I noticed? I suffered some knee pain myself and bruising at 17 days post op. The discomfort lasted for several weeks if I recall. Depending upon approach, the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively in an effort to dislocate the hip. If you haven't been icing your knee, consider it. The forum Nurse Josephine recommends icing for 40-60 minutes per session. Target several times per day and see if it brings you relief. While side sleeping, place a pillow between your knees, if you're not already, and see if that helps. If you would like input from the forum Nurse, let us know and we'll tag her for you.
    I hope you find comfort soon.
    @Shiner

7. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

This question is kind of like "how long is a piece of string". Every recovery is different - even on the same person. The guidelines will give you a general idea but don't feel pressured if you aren't there yet. Depending on how long you limped around pre-op it can take quite awhile to recover.

The knee pain - I can honestly say that my knee hurt worse than my replaced hip post RTHR. As Layla suggested, I icing as often as I could. Let us know if this works for you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I would get knee pain from walking for quite some time. The muscles down the outer edge of your thigh end at the knee and that's where it likes to hurt or burn. The outer edge of my thigh stayed tender for quite some time too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Shiner

Shiner new member

Thanks for your comments and advice will try the ice. Do you know at what stage you should be able to left knee and push leg out to the side in a rotating type movement ?

10. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:How are you? Hope you have been icing it up!:ice:
    As in getting out of a car? Are you having trouble with that or...:what:

I had a log leg heavy-type thing that went on with my right leg...getting out as a passenger in our small car.
    My leg didn't seem to listen when I told it to get out...
    Injured Soft tissue and Muscles take a bit of time to heal up and become compliant.
    Perfectly normal and lessened as time went on.

11. Shiner

Shiner new member

Getting in the drivers side is fine. Still having to back in when a passenger. Its more lifting my leg up and bending to put on a sock (sort of lotus position) hard to describe

12. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It's just one of those things that takes time.:bored:
    I want to think it was probably closer to the end of month three before I felt comfortable putting shoes and socks on in that fashion...lots of healing still happening.:yes:
    Try not to force anything.
    You are doing just fine!:ok:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Shiner

Shiner new member

Thank you for that. It's difficult to know how far you should be. So many different things you hear.
    At 8 weeks wanted to be further than where I am

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Go back and read the article Layla left for you on the Chart Representation of THR Recovery. Unfortunately your hip is in charge now and there is no pushing this recovery. Relax and let that hip heal. A short space of time for a lifetime of no hip pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Klassy

Klassy senior

Hi @Shiner , welcome to this wonderful forum

Ditto! Your progress is identical to mine in that respect. I had my op 1 day before you, and 2 days ago I was on this forum fretting about slow recovery.

In every other aspect it sounds like you are way ahead. I still use a cane to walk indoors, 2 crutches outside. I couldn’t even contemplate put the foot of my operated leg over the other knee. I am still sleeping on my back as either side is painful. But I am sure time will fix all these things.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shiner

Shiner new member

Thank you for your reply. Maybe I am being to impatient. I hope your recovery goes well. I found it helped keeping notes of my daily progress

17. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I've lost track of some of the early progress so keeping notes will let you look back. I do remember at 6 weeks the attempts to tie my shoes and wash my feet. The first tries hurt and caused muscle pain and it was a little more at a time until I could do it without pain or follow up pain. Once I could drive at 2 weeks I wasn't a passenger very often but I do remember lifting my leg into the car. Also remember the stutter steps or false starts when getting up from sitting and trying to walk. That lasted for a while, and then suddenly it was gone.
    We all wanted to be farther along then we were! I was stiff this morning and did my stretches. I went walking and my muscles hurt in the hip area. After a short time I forgot all about them until I got back to the house and realized all of the stiffness and pain was gone. And so it goes.

18. Shiner

Shiner new member

Thank you for the reply. At 8 weeks nearly still got pains in the knee and hip but it isn't affecting My ability to get around. Been back at work now for 5 weeks so shouldn't really complaint.

19. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Recovery is so uneven, within a person, and between people. But the one thing I have observed on this forum, is that the less you push and pressure yourself, the more quickly your body seems to settle in and do what it is ready to. And it also is perfectly normal to want to be certain you are on track.

There are some things I did so quickly and easily, and I felt so relieved. Then there were other things that seemed to come out of the blue and really concerned me. Other people had completely opposite concerns.

One thing I think we all need to be careful about is being proud and taking too much credit if we are sailing through recovery, as well as feeling inadequate and embarrassed if we aren't.

The truth is, that unless we are pushing too hard, or violating protocols, a lot of it comes down to luck. Those people who are walking miles or at the gym daily by week 8 are lucky (if they are doing these things pain free, and not pushing). And if a person isn't, their body just isn't ready. Long way to tell you I think you are doing great---your stamina to be able to work and get around at 8 weeks sounds excellent. :yes!:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Shiner

Shiner new member

Does anyone experience knee pain whilst in bed. Always seems worse