Shin Pain???

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyM

OK - I need to ask this...

I've had my knees x-rayed - osteoarthritis with bone spurs and bone-on-bone. I get the diagnosis...thus the upcoming surgery. Here's my question -

Why do I notice the constant pain more in my shin than my actual knee??:cry: Sure, my knee swells up and is painful fairly often, but the shin pain is constant.

Has anyone else experienced their pain this way?

It makes me sometimes think that because the pain isn't directly in my knee - that perhaps I'm jumping the gun on this surgery. But then, my knee will dislocate and I feel like its the right thing to do. No, I can't do everything I use to do, but if you saw my walking down the street - you'd probably never know that my shin was killing me. I don't limp all the time. Going up the stairs is quite a sight...just ask my family.

Any thoughts???

Hi! Holly, whoda thought that shins swell and cause pain :what: Well, thats the way it is. Knees don't have much room for swelling and shins have even less, so it doesn't take much to cause pain in them.

As long as your knee is in its current condition, you're going to have swelling and that swelling is going to go right down to your shin too!:cry:

So I don't see putting off surgery as a good choice. Your knee is NOT going to get better on its own :sigh: ----it needs help, and help is a TKR.

I had both knees done 2 days apart, and although the recovery is slow and bumpy, I would do it again in a heartbeat. At 5 months out, I am finally at last pain free!!!!!!:yes 4:

You need to research, read lots, go the the forum library and read all the articles about knees there, and read the threads of those of us on the recovery side. Knowledge is power ---- the more you know about the procedure and the recovery, the more prepared you'll be and the more confident you'll be about the whole process.:thumb:

Please keep us posted. We care. :cat-kittyandsmiley: Judy

It's quite common ... referred pain from the joint. Don't be fooled!

I had very bad shin pain and one OS told me it was mainly due to the fact my leg was out of alignment and my muscles/ligaments were being pulled too tight. I had orthotics made that helped and also had physio. Since my operation I had a couple of twinges early on but not a peep out of them over the last few weeks.

I'm at almost 2 weeks post surgery and doing pretty well. I'm scheduled to get my other (rt) knee replaced on 5/8. Although its daunting and I'm not terribly enthusiastic about jumping back into the fire, I know that's what I have to do to get my life back. I too had pain on many areas of both legs. The very limited ROM served to tighten up my hamstrings, hip flexors etc. to causing much pain--shins as well. I'll have a ways to go to get my strength and flexibility back but with a knee that works correctly, I can do it. :yay:

Hi Holly,
I am having a RTKR tomorrow morning, and my pain has been in the knee as well as other areas of my leg. If I sit too long with my knee bent at 90 degrees I get shooting pain down my shin and into my ankle and foot. Dr. says this is normal for a knee as damaged as mine.

Hi Holly, I like Judy's post. Gravity has a big play on the fluid going down your shin. A tip you may try is, if you are in a recliner, perform hundreds of calf pumps. Try to squeeze that swelling if your toes above your nose. This is very important after surgery. While watching TV, do 50 during the commercials along with quad sets. Wring out those muscles.
Best to you,
David

I was getting a lot of shin pain in my shins from over doing in pt ( i have not had tkr yet). So it was some of the exercises they were giving me that was helping to attribute to my pain I already had, the shins have stopped hurting since i stopped pt.
Hopefully that will be different when i have pt for an operated knee. Good Luck to you in finding relief finally with your tkr, keep us posted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts