Shifting gears late in the game!

Alitm

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
Hello friends, just finished meeting with my surgeon again. For a few medical reasons, that I would prefer not to go into here, I am no longer having bilateral surgery via the anterior approach, but I am having one hip done on Friday and the other eight weeks from now, via the posterior approach. So I'm joining the ranks of the one at a time group! Have an entire change to wrap my head around now...but for all good reasons.

I was able to ask about restrictions. Regular pillow between legs for sleeping on non-op side for six weeks (I'm using a pillow now when side sleeping so can check that box off).

I was also practicing back sleeping with a lift and that is OK too. The 90 degree restriction is there but he said not to panic about it as before he closes up he will have my new shiny hip all over the place to make sure it is good and not going to dislocate.

He has shown me on anatomy pictures what gets cut and what doesn't and how, and how it compares to some of my previous surgeries. He is a patient man!!!

So all my buddies here who have had one hip done and then the other....I'm shifting gears! My avatar stays the same!!

@AliTB12 All will be well! I was envious of the bilateral guy who was in my pre-op class last time, but for me personally it was good to get the short-term healing close to done on the one hip, and eight weeks sounds good. Six is almost pushing it IMO; everyone is different of course. Your surgeon sounds smart and capable and thorough.

but he said not to panic about it as before he closes up he will have my new shiny hip all over the place to make sure it is good and not going to dislocate.
That was nice of him! Though it's a fact that every surgeon does this as a matter of course!

This sounds like a good plan. By 8 weeks post op you’ll have one good leg you’ll be able to count on!

I hope you're not too disappointed. Better safe than sorry.
As you know, many do it weeks, or only a couple months apart. You're in good company here.
Instead of having two injured legs, you'll have one well on its way to healing to help with the other.
I hope you're able to easily adjust to the change of plans.
Everything happens for a reason.
Hugs
@Alitm

@Knitquilt How are you doing today? Hope that you are comfortable and the pain meds are working well :) In some ways, although a longer route, there is some relief that I'll have one un-opperated leg to stand on, although it isn't very happy either!

@Josephine I believe OS was trying to assure neurotic ME that although he does ask his patients with posterior surgery to keep the 90 degree rule, that I won't dislocate the hip if I go beyond that by mistake.

OS is also of the same philosophy as Bonesmart, and supports gradually building up the walking in the first three months. We didn't get beyond three months post op in the conversation.

@Layla On one hand I am really disappointed not to get the hips done and dusted at the same time, not have as many restrictions in the first six weeks, and have less time in rehab etc. OS assures me that staggered posterior surgery really isn't that much longer at the end of the day, maybe three weeks, vs. the bilateral recovery. I'll have to look at the recovery charts! I have to say, on the other hand, I do feel some relief, as the risks are lower one at a time. The other thing is that I will probably go for the sedation with one. Either way, he hopes to have me home by Saturday, which is amazing (wonderful) to me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@An54 More celebrating...it's all good!! Helpful to know what 8 weeks looks like...thank you for that reminder :) OS said 8 - 10 weeks for second, I said to sign me up for 8 weeks! I'm thinking that this is God's/the Universe's/whatever one believes in's way of slowing me down, perhaps a blessing in disguise?! Who knows, but this it is what it is, so onwards!!
:flwrysmile:

@Layla How do I change my surgical details from bilateral to RTHR for Friday? I will let you know the confirmed date for the left once I have it....many thanks :)

Hi again,
I'll report the change right now.
Sweet Dreams tonight!
@Alitm

@Alitm .....wow,that's a last minute decision.....have to say having had mine done separately I wouldn't now choose bilateral (not that I've got any left!) It demands a certain amount of concentration in the early days, even with one wonky one, think two might have pushed me over the edge :) Hope all goes well for you.....all those weeksof agonising over it, then poof....it's suddenly behind you :heehee:

Hi @Alitm
I am 8 and a bit weeks post op recovery, right hip posterior
My hip doesn't bother me at all now. Did a fairly long walk yesterday and the biggest problem was my left knee (that has to be done at some time) but it was great that the right hip was good, and some of the ground was uneven too.
I think you will be feeling ready for your second hip by the time you get to 8 weeks.
Good luck for the first and see you the other side

Hey @Alitm just saw this. Good luck tomorrow I’ll be thinking of you.
I think you have to make the decision that feels best for you in your heart. Sounds to me like this is the right one. We will be cheering your on and waiting for you in the other side! You got this!! :loveshwr:

@Bionic I know everyone's different, but I liked reading that you had no pain at 8 weeks. At just past 6, I can take a decent walk but wake up almost hourly during the night with some achiness.

Sending a positive beam to you, @Alitm

I just caught up with you! I will be sending you good vibes and healing energy for tomorrow! I have thought often about our bilateral friends here and personally, I can't imagine doing both at the same time so I believe it's good to get one stronger and then do the other! I know it's a challenge to change your mindset to prepare. When I had the opportunity to take an earlier surgery date, I took it and had 2 weeks to wrap my head around it. Actually, it was good as I couldn't overthink it as much! We'll be waiting for you in the healing forum!:angel:

I'll second and third that at 8 weeks you will feel healed ( but still healing inside) and have little to no pain. I'm at 8 weeks and couple days and I find myself forgetting I've even had surgery.

Prayers for good recovery... just remember slow and steady for this journey!

Awww thanks everyone for the support...such a great feeling to know you all are "there" :). Ultimately it was the surgeon's decision, but the best one for me. I really like him and trust him, so feel even more confident going into surgery. I really wanted to get it done in one go, as I've been living with not being able to do anything normal for me for too long, but it is better for me this way...so it all good! Hubby was in on the discussion as well, so good to have his objectivity. The OS said, at the six month recovery with staggard hip surgery, I will only be two to three weeks behind if I had done it bilaterally. The first six weeks difference with anterior and posterior in his mind is the 90 degree precaution. Onward and thank you all so much again for the moral support!! REALLY appreciate it!!:flwrysmile:

Wow, sorry that your hopes were dashed with the last minute decision. But I'm sure the surgeon had good reasons, and I hope he explained those carefully to you so you can understand and appreciate the change. But, I am sure despite the slight blip on the radar screen you'll do great and by this time next year you'll be saying, "Hip surgery? What hip surgery?!" Best of luck!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member