THR Shifted stem in femur

Alaska!

Country
United States United States
I had a hip replacement May 12. A week later I went to stand up and something snapped and the pain was intense. I couldn't put weight on the leg or move leg. Ended up back in the hospital, no dislocation. Two different Orthopedic Surgeons have had completely different opinions. One says stay off of it for 4 weeks and for any walking to tip toe with only a walker. The other one said with the current xray compared to the post op xray the stem has shifted in the femur. Maybe looking at a hip revision. Advised me to stay off of it for a few more weeks and then another xray. Any suggestions?

Hello @Alaska!
Stopped by to offer well wishes on your one month anniversary and was sorry to read your update above. At approximately 3 to 3 1/2 weeks since the incident you described above, I’m wondering how you’re doing and whether non weigh bearing has helped? Hopefully you can avoid a revision. Either way, we’re here to support and encourage when you’re in need. Please let us know how it’s going. Will look forward to hearing from you. :)

Hi,
The limited weight bearing really hasn’t helped much. Pain is constant. Especially at night. Pain in femur and groin area aches like a toothache and at times down my leg to my toes. It’s been a month since the replacement. This is not what I expected. Something just isn’t right in there.

Find a new doctor or go back to the 2nd doctor (like he said to) since the first doctor is no help.

Good luck.

Wondering if one of the two OS’s that gave you their opinion is your original surgeon, the one who performed your THR? Guessing the one who compared the latest x-ray to your post op x-ray is your original and the one who believes the stem has shifted necessitating a revision? Or did you take copies of x-rays to other surgeons?
@Alaska!

Oh dear, that sounds so painful and discouraging.
are you due for the second X-ray yet? I’m thinking you’ve waited long enough.
Please update as you can, praying for a quick resolution for you.
And yes, this isn’t a normal recovery and I don’t blame you for your disappointment In thinking this isn’t what you signed up for.
@Alaska!

In so many cases and in mine , hip issues from THR do not always show up in xrays,nuclear mri, regular mri etc.. Most of the issues I experienced after primary surgery showed during revision. We expect these tests can help diagnose, but in many cases they may not show the total picture accurately . If pain continues to persist it would be appropriate to schedule revision before bone growth secures the implant .

Wishing you the best on Tuesday. I certainly hope you receive some good news.
Please let us know how it goes. We’re here for you. :friends:
Hugs
@Alaska!

It’s been two months to date since you surgery. Wondering how you’re doing?
Hoping things have settled / improved for you since you last dropped by.
We’d love to hear from you when you have time. Wishing you the best. :)
@Alaska!

TH Revision was June 29. All went well. Improving daily. Only 50%weight bearing on the operated leg now for another 4 weeks. Walking with a walker. The first replacement was not correct. Stem was too small and continued to shift in the femur. Two surgeries now since May 12 and I’m finished. Moving along quiet well.

Hello and Happy Monday,
I’m sorry to read you had to go through a revision. Thankfully the surgery is behind you and you’re onto the healing process once again. May it only be good from here on out.
Stay in touch, we’d love to follow your progress and support you along the way.
A great week to you!
@Alaska!

You have had quite a journey with the revision. It was good to hear that you are doing well now and progressing.

Hello there Alaska :wave:
One month since your revision. I hope you’re happy and all is progressing as it should. Please update as time allows. We’d love to hear how you’re doing.
Happy Wednesday...all the best to you!
@Alaska!

I am now 6 weeks since the hip revision. Walking with a walker and only allowed to put 50% of my weight on the operated leg. I believe one more week and I’ll graduate to a cane for a week. Pain haven’t been bad. Nothing that Tylenol can’t take care of. DailY improvements. Hope to start physical therapy in the next few weeks. Very limited with therapy right now. The first two weeks were tough. I’m. Not going to lie there. Moving forward!

:wave:Glad things are progressing and you sound like you have a very positive attitude which, in my opinion, is the best thing for helping our body heal quickly.
Hope today is a good day @Alaska!

Hello @Alaska!
Wishing you well as you graduate to the cane soon. Thankfully pain isn’t holding you back. After three months and recently 50% weight bearing it will be nice to move forward. Yay for progress! Please take PT slow and easy and let us know how you’re doing. Thanks for updating it was nice to hear from you. :)

:wave: Hello and Happy Sunday!
Well, it’s been two months since your revision. Wondering if you’ve been able to graduate to the cane successfully? Hopefully PT is going well for you and you’re content with your progress. Please update as time allows and have a good week!
@Alaska!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks