Revision TKR Shells 2nd Revision Recovery

shells35

Country
United States United States
Surgery went well. I have been sleeping a lot because of the pain meds. Will post more when I can stay awake long enough.

:welome: to recovery, Shells.

I hope it's all going well.

Did you have the same surgeon for all your knee replacements, or is it someone different this time?

Here is your post-op reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:sleeep:
Good to hear from you, Sleepyhead!
Happy the surgery went well!

I am in complete misery. I let them overwork me at pt and have been crying for three hours. I have the rudest nurse I have ever had. The pa told me I had diladid for breakthrough pain and the nurse is saying I don’t I had to call my doctor and he came in she gave it to me when she realized I called him. But I am still in so much pain it’s not a 9 anymore but a 7.

:console2::console2::console2:

Please try to say no to any more exercises. All this extra pain from them is not necessary because the exercises are truly not necessary, especially right now.

Keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

Don’t let them convince you otherwise.

time for some changes in the hospital set up. You can ask for a new nurse, for instance. Also, I had some breakthrough pain with percoset and used oxycontin for 10 days (my nurse called it the big guns) I think even 5 days would have made a difference.

Second say no to anything that is too much at PT. right now, I would just give it a pass or ask them to help you walk and maybe look at stairs---everything else is a no. You don't need more pain right now, you need rest, ice and elevation.

Elevation is the key to controlling pain and swelling

Hi, @shells35.... I'm glad you're on this side of surgery but so sorry to hear you have such poor treatment from your nurse. Hopefully, by now you have a different one or at least that one will have learned you're not putting up with her foolishness.

(Admin note: ThumperJB is participating in a BoneSmart test of ACTIVE Scar Shield, so you may see me mentioning it here in her thread as she progresses in her recovery).

We were a little late getting our Scar Shield product out to the testers, but you should have yours Wednesday or Thursday. It will be delivered at your home. Please post and let me know it's arrived. There will be instructions for the application and taking photos in the package you receive, so let me know if you have any questions.

Please tell me what type of bandage you have on your knee. It should either be a gauze type that is changed every few days or an Aquacell dressing with a special antimicrobial compound that is left in place for about 7 days. We'll want you to start the Scar Shield just as soon as the bandage is first removed.

Here's hoping that things get better for you. Be sure they are icing your knee and allowing you to keep it elevated when you're not up walking around the room. You may have to show you can walk a certain distance and go up and down a few stairs in order to be released from the hospital, but you really don't need a lot of therapy at this early stage. Just rest and heal! I'll be looking forward to hearing that you're home!

Last edited:
Just say NO to exercises! Make sure you can get off and on the bed, to the bathroom, and do steps. Everything else isn't necessary and actually more harmful than helpful. Stick to your guns! It's your knee, not PTs', the nurses' or your OSs'!

I refused the pt both times today. Of course they had like five different people come try to talk me into going. I just politely said no thank you. I Called patient relations about my nurse and they sent someone over who was in charge of all the nurses for me to speak with.

My doctor only gave me a weeks worth of pain meds. I am not happy about that at all.

Sorry I haven’t really posted but the hospital was a bad time for me I was in a lot of pain.

I am home now Just getting settled in and while their is pain I can handle it better because I am at home. If that makes any sense? My daughter is so cute she has everything all set up for me. A little cooler on my bed with drinks and she took a plastic drawer out of her lil set of drawers and filled it with snacks for me so they won’t be all over the place. My chargers are where I can reach them and remotes and controllers. Her and her brother surprised me with a husband pillow I was looking at on amazon. I wanted it because it looked so comfy and perfect for bed or couch but I wasn’t gonna spent the almost 80 bucks for it. I am so happy they got it it is perfect!!!

@Jamie my scar shield was here waiting for me. I don’t have a dressing on. It looks like I just have steri strips on.

Thank you everyone for the advice and the concern. I am much better now that I am at home.

I’m so glad you are home!!!
A little cooler on my bed with drinks and she took a plastic drawer out of her lil set of drawers and filled it with snacks for me so they won’t be all over the place
I love this, especially the organizer drawer for the snacks, I love those things!

And the pillow!!! You are in good hands and are loved!

I hope you can try to relax and sleep now.

And I’m just curious, what things did they say to you when you kept saying no to therapy?

@Jockette They kept saying it was for me to get better and build up muscle.

Last edited:
First night at home went well. I took a pain pill when In the car on the way home and forgot to take another one four hours later ( I should have taken 2 more for the hours I was awake). Woke up in the middle of the night in some pain but not unbearable.

My daughter is going to buy me one of those pill things with slots for meds 3 times a day and she’s setting the alarms on my phone.

So far the two things I am most grateful for besides my children :) are the over the bed table and the husband pillow. My doctor did write me a script for a cryo cuff and I know I will be grateful for that as well because I love ice. I just hope between my to different insurances it is covered.

Also........ DAY FOUR NO CIGARETTES

Hope everyone has a lovely day!

Well done with the no smoking it is not an easy thing to do I gave up nearly a year ago with only 2 sneaky ones and both were when I was out at party's

Hi @shells35, if you have an iPhone, the best app I’ve found is called Round Health. You put in all your medications, dosage, etc and and alarm rings to remind you. With all the medication we need to take early on it has been a life saver for me. Good luck with your recovery!

Kudos for day 4 without cigarettes! And kudos too on being at home and having a happier recovery set-up. You’ll feel so much better now!

@gecko Great job on the cigs, only snuck 2 that’s awesome!

@Desertgal Thank you so much! I am downloading that app right now. I was going to get some kind of app like that and I forgot all about them. I figured everything out the old fashioned way this morning with pen and paper.

:curtsey:@SusieShoes Thank you. :) I am Feeling better already just by being at home.

Last edited:
Home is, by far, the best place to be. You are in total control now! A phone med's schedule is really good idea.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom