THR Sheila-Seattle's Recovery Story

Hello there, it’s good to hear from you. Great update, thanks for stopping by to share.
You look like a happy, healthy couple. A belated Happy Six Month Anniversary!
Wishing you and hubby many more years of rides together.
@Sheila-Seattle

@Sheila-Seattle I don't know if you'll be back to read this but you made my day with your 6 mo report. Like you I felt setbacks between 3 & 4 months, with more pain, and started to be more careful. But so happy to hear you feel great 2 months later. Perhaps this is a "stage" where expectations ("I feel much more normal so shouldn't I feel truly normal") exceed reality. Guess that's the beauty of a forum!

@DancerHips I love y our user name! Glad my report was helpful. I'm not here often anymore. But yes, that IS the beauty of a user forum. It's helped me a lot of the 7+ months.

@Layla and anyone else - I'm curious now that I'm feeling relatively normal, does one continue to do all or some select PT forever? OR do we reach a point where it's no longer necessary? If some, what are the select few that should be kept up long term?

REPORT: We now have 1200+ miles on the tandem and my new hip. Riding is a joy. We've done a couple of 4-5 mile hikes as well. For me that means out in the trees with irregular surfaces and some elevation gain. No change in numbness YET. I still have some groin pain which seems strange as that is the only presenting symptom I had. It "should" have gone away and hopefully still will. My "lump" in the scar continues to diminish. My massage therapist is pleased with it and feels it will definitely resolve 100%.

Here are a couple of blog links about our most recent bike trips.

Hello @Sheila-Seattle
It’s nice to hear from you and read how well you’re doing. Thanks for sharing your update!

At seven months post op and as active as you are, I don’t see the need for PT unless there is an issue you are trying to work on. Recall the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

If you’re noticing the groin pain after activity, it’s not too late to ice in an effort to relieve the pain / inflammation. My guess is the numbness will improve with time.

Wishing you many more rides and hikes in the great outdoors. Enjoy!

Long time - no see! We just got back from a week of cycling in Southern Utah. I thought I'd share the blog post for those who are interested. It includes lots of photos. I've attached one of us at the summit of the 66 mile day and one of me hiking in Bryce Canyon. https://s2cycle.com/2021-trips/southern-utah-adventure/

Attachments

• Summit.jpg
    Summit.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 73
  • hiking Bryce Canyon.jpg
    hiking Bryce Canyon.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 78
@Sheila-Seattle Thanks for sharing your images and blog. What a fab trip! Such fantastic country. You are a great example of getting back to living after THR. Well done!

Oh how fun, Sheila! Thanks for stopping by and sharing the photos and great update.
Wishing you and hubs many more enjoyable and scenic rides.
Stay safe! :bicycle1: <- So None Of That.
@Sheila-Seattle

Happy Holidays Hippies.

I have a question I'm hoping someone might know about. My THR was on the right. A few years back I had issues with my left glute medius. It's starting up again but still mild. I'm going in to see a PT. But yesterday I remembered how when I was learning to walk without a limp as I stopped using the walker I was told to focus on heel to toe walking. I do not limp but I tried focusing on planting my heel first and I wondered if that actually engages the glute medius more? I'm thinking it might be a good thing to do but wanting more understanding if my hunch on this is on track? Thanks.

Last edited:
Happy Holidays! :banana-santa:

The gluteal muscles are active at heel strike. Ask your PT for specifics about which parts of the gluteal muscles are active through out the gait cycle.

Your hunch is on track, a complex firing of the gluteal mm happens throughout the gait cycle.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom